Road Safety

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Tam, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

firstly thanks for the new forum Murray, great idea! Now i have read alot about other peoples bad experiences with road hogs and idiot drivers as well as my own. What can we do about it? how do we alert road users to the fact that horses are volatile animals and for them to go past slowly and carefully? Does anyone have any ideas for keeping safe while riding our horses out on the roads?

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I stick to the side of the road and never ride on them. When crossing the road while on a horse I still look left to right. If I know the horse I'm riding it going to freak badly at an up coming vehicle I get off and find the nearest drive way to put my horse on incase of a big spook and to stay away from the vehicle as much. As for bad drivers...if I the horse is trust worthy...I lean down and say a few words as the drivers come by...I've had a few stop and turn back to argue of course I nick off! If I see someone in the distance coming to fast I wave them down and it usually stops them...

~§Arnie§~

3. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

If the boys are on the road the youngest one wears a very bright orange safety vest with big black letters CAUTION YOUNG RIDER on the back. Allmost all drivers will slow down when they see that. I have taught the boys to always wave and say thank you and if they speed past to ignore the driver Abusing them is not going to make them slow down the next time and often makes them ( drivers) a lot worse the next time. Years ago when I was working racehorses I had one driver who every afternoon when I jogged the horses bareback down the roads would actually put me in the ditch he was that bad, the boss reported him to the police and I think he obviously decided to give it up as a bad joke. Thank Goodness cause he really was a danger.

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Abusing the drivers amuses me...I like to see their faces when a horse rider actually gives them a what for when they think they own the roads. I took wave and smile and say thankyou too the nice drivers...some have stopped with a car full of kids and gotten out and seen our horses. City people. Rode past a party once and all the lil kids came running out all excited!...

~§Arnie§~

5. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

it can be dangerous on the road, if your horse is frightened.
    best thing is to take it slowly & calmly. there will always be idiot drivers, so always be prepared.

i slowed down the other day passing a man leading a young camel along the side of the road. before i realised what it was, i was thinking, this is the ugliest horse i had ever seen. LOL.

6. Naomi

Naomi Well-known Member

Some people are really stupid hey. They beep their horns and rev their damn commodores. Luckily my horse is almost unflappable so i can stay relaxed but I'd like ppl to understand horses.

I've had people actually stop the car, waltz up to a horse i was leading and plonk thier kids straight on it's back, no questions asked! I was amazed and promptly removed the kid as it was a flighty horse. Some people are so rude!

"It is often said that if a dog is a man's best friend, then a horse is a man's best slave."

7. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

Arylin that is a great idea with the vest [​IMG] I guess non- horsey motorists assume that if you are riding a horse on a road that the horse is safe enough to be ridden on a road ! They do not realize that horses only become used to it with practice - mine had more of a problem with the white lines than he did with the traffic when he first went out ! HOPEFULLY we can expect that " horsey" people do the courtesy of slowing down for other riders - I know I do and encourage my family to as well . It would be a good idea for a road campaign ?
    [​IMG]

8. arylin

arylin Well-known Member

The boys ponies are good on the road but kids just aren't quick enough to react to some situations I find that by using the vest drivers realise that there is a small child on the back of that pony and that tends to remind them to slow down and be a little bit more careful.
    I also tend to walk with them rather than ride as I can then help anytime a pony does a dummy spit ( not very often I have to admit) and it's great for the waist line. Added bonus

9. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

One thing that I've noticed out on the roads is that if I lead any of my horses out to pick at the grass verge and go for a little walk,most cars/trucks slow down BUT when I ride out possibley only every 3rd or 4th one bothers to slow down at all???? My horses are good most of the time but they shy more under saddle than when I'm leading them! Where we are we have to contend with the trains and the sheep trucks too.

Ali

10. crave

crave Well-known Member

I was riding out yesterday in Gidge going past the lovely warmblood stud and a mother and her 2 children were coming in the other direction . As we both got closer a guy was getting into his car after leaving the stud and did a huge burnout right in front of all of us! I cant even print what I yelled at him and thank god all the horses were ok. You would expect better from horsey people!

crave