RIP Dick Francis

Discussion in 'News Items' started by pso, Feb 15, 2010.

1. pso

pso Gold Member

2. simbin

simbin Gold Member

OMG I think I have reread all his books a hundred times lol.

RIP

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

What an incredible legacy he left us.

One of my most fav authors, by God he lived life!

4. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

wow I love his books. Always good for a few hours enjoyment.

5. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

OMG, how sad. As a kid his were the only novels I would read. How very very sad.:(

6. Happy Gambler

Happy Gambler Well-known Member

How very sad. End of an era.
    Still an endless supply of reading at my in-laws house though :)

7. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I started collecting them all recently so if anyone has any they want to sell/give away lol.

8. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

I heard on the ABC part of an interview with him. He was talking about writing and said that he found it difficult to do. He had been talking to a fan who said he loved DF books and had read the latest in 4 hours. Dick Francis said he was stunned; it had taken him 5 months to write the book and it was all over in 4 hours ; just didnt seem right. That brought a smile to my face. :)

Hey simbin, I had a couple of his books ; will see if I still have them and let you know the titles. You are welcome to them (if I still have them :p)

9. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

yes it must feel strange to spend so much time writing and have your fans read it so quickly :)

What I really liked about Dick Francis is the way he acknowledged his family. He wanted to have his wife listed as co author but she refused and he listed he last book I read as written by himself and his son.

I only saw him interviewed once but he sounded like a lovely man.

What I like about his writing is it's not all blood and gore. which sounds strange given the genre he wrote in but although there was always violence in his books the violence was over and done with and not the central reason for the books. Where a lot of books you read now the violence seems to be the reason for the book to be written with these books the violence is background padding to the plot. Does that make sense?

I have read every book I could get my hands on. I would love to read any I have missed.

10. bubblez

bubblez Well-known Member

omg I just saw this! How awful :( I LOVED dick francis!!! what a man!

11. Malakand

Malakand Active Member

Have only just read this and didn't know he'd died, very sad. I have read quite a few of his books and they are true nail-biters. I did wonder if the hero (singular as he seemed to appear in only slightly varying guises in every one of his books I picked up) (often sighing, initially misunderstood, quietly intelligent/woman magnet etc) was the person DF saw himself as, or would like to have been.

12. Western Fan

Western Fan New Member

I read all his books years ago & lent them to a friend who never gave them back, so have been re collecting them again. My all time favourite is Whip Hand and the one where the good guy lives in Australia, Daniel Roke, For Kicks.