riding without supervision...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by celestialdancer, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Slimey94

Slimey94 Well-known Member

i hav been riding by myself since i was bout 12. i go bush riding by myself, its the only time i can go for a hoon lol, i will tell mum the general direction of where im goin (i get side tracked easily lol), i hav to be supurvised in the arena at my agistment centre. i hav only fallen off once wen i was alone, (i got bucked off, after like being on for not even 30 seconds! XD) i was fine lol.
    i always have my fone wen im by myself, but no ICE card.

2. Evered

Evered Well-known Member

I always have someone around in case I stack it, I am usually jumping too so yes. Even though I float my horse to ride, mum still comes to spectate! She is my jump adjuster and mane & tail brusher :D

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-known Member

Riding Unsupervised

Isn't that how Guy Wallace, an experienced and potential Olympic equestrian, became severely injured a few years ago? I seem to remember he was riding on his own, was thrown from his horse and landed somehow so that the helmet strap cut off oxygen to the brain because he wasn't found for some time.

Riders should always make sure someone knows where they are going and how long they will be.

4. CABALLO

CABALLO New Member

I used to ride by my self all the time, as long as I told some one where I was going and what ETA for be. But then I had a really bad accident on the road and was caught under neath my horse when he fell over trying to get away from some guys on a motor bike who came flogging up behind us as a joke.

Also had a very close friend who was thrown from her horse riding along and had to have a steel plate placed in her face and a heap of constructive surgery as she was severaly kicked and trampled by her horse, and she wasnt found for about 1hr after it happened.

I also know my old instructor took her horse out for a ride and he was spooked by a motorbike and she came off and broke her collar bone, and it was only fortunate we were at the stables and saw her horse come home that we realised she had come off. But even then her horse was 22 yrs old and was still spooked.

Now I only ride on the property if someone is there and only go out if there is some one else with me, as I never want to be in an situation were i am alone an no one is there with me or no one can find me...

for people who do ride along I give you alot of credit as, as I get older the less I want to ride by myself, and the other thing is I enjoy someone else;s company when out riding it is always nice to have some one to talk, laugh and compare notes....

5. Rikki+Sasha

Rikki+Sasha Active Member

I would but I'm not allowed but I also don't have anyone to ride with, am not allowed on the roads if I did cos where I live its' all hilly and people come hooning over them and dads worrried I'll get hit (but come on I'm 15 pretty sure I'm street smart by now) and it doesn't help the fact my stepmum hardly has the time to ride with me so trails are outta the question AND i'm not allowed to ride when parents aren't home even if my 13 yo bros there nope....doesn't help the fact that a) not long ago a girl we know went riding down the bridal trail alone....her horse spooked, reared and fell on her breaking three ribs and bursting a splein AND the one time dad let the boys ride there motorbike for a few minutes without supervision oh and did i mention he said no jumps so what does my 15 yo bro do go and jump and break his bloody leg besides apparantly motorbikes are so much safer cos they don't have a mind of their own...which is bulls*** cos if yu go over a jump and land wrong sure its fault of the rider but also fault of the bike.

hehe long post

I'm breaking the rules right now actually cos I'm not even allowed on the internet whilst no ones home but hey wat are they gonna do about it

6. Hot to Trot

Hot to Trot New Member

I have ridden out in the forest for years and years by myself. There is something really special about being in the middle of nowhere.. just you and your horse. Lately I have started messaging my OH when I leave and when I get back so that at least he knows I am out there somewhere! I put my mobile with me and have it on silent.
    I still rationalise it by thinking it can't be any more dangerous than driving up and down Great Eastern Highway with the huge trucks and miscellaneous loony drivers! My little Quarter horse stops dead if he is worried rather than bolting or spinning. He is too lazy to buck etc. There is always the chance of coming off and I wouldn't be out there alone if I had a horse I wasn't very comfortable with. AND IT KEEPS ME SANE LOL!
    www.hotto.com.au

7. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

I never have anyone watching me when i ride. Other agisters come and go though but i dont tell anyone when i go out on a trail ride but i usually have my phone. I just trust my horse too much :p

8. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I ride on my own all the time but always take my phone. I live on my own as well so, depending on when I fall off, I could lie unconscious and undiscovered for days! :) I never worry about it much.

The only time I've ever needed help was when I rode down the Brigadoon open space and broke my ankle getting off to open a gate (fell down a hole). I was over near the water jump so just yelled a lot into Sue and Shane from a nearby house came and rescued me.

I think when I start riding Saxon (young one) I will pay a bit more attention to letting people know what I am up to. And I have no shame in admitting that, until we get used to each other, I'll be riding in a body protector as well as a helmet.

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

I ride on my own. No biggy. At times, now, I have the whole property in wooroloo to myself .. I could scream, and noone could hear me :p (Well, the cows will, but I dont think mooing helps hehe).

I always have my phone, and usually let someone know I'm going out for a ride. Trail ride wise - keep my phone on. I've never had an issue riding alone .. but I do prefer company purely for someone to talk to hehe

10. dirtbug

dirtbug Gold Member

at home i normally ride alone with the kids occasionally coming out to complain about one of thier siblings looking at them sideways or they are hungry so if i did come off i know i would be found after ten mins (tho my luck that would be the day my lot get along hahahaha)

11. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

i normally do to.
    though after dashi fell over, im not aloud to go anywere besides the arena without tellin mum first... wich is fair enough. does gett annoying though, just means i have to call out to her (and she never comes out cause she cant be bothered) wich takes ages and i have a sore throat after!!:mad:

12. simbin

simbin Gold Member

I will ride out on my own but aways take my phone. When I have a new horse though I wont until I get use to them.

13. gracie_my_girl

gracie_my_girl New Member

i sometimes ride alone because no one else wants to or they ride before me but there is all ways people there were i agist which is gd because i fell of the other day and hit my head aginst a post and when the owner saw me fall off she came running and so did my friend who was in the same arena as me i was soo thank ull for my friends. i would never get on my horse with out someone there its just what i am use to and i dont even know i do it cause i am so used to riding with other people. lol :)* **)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  14. little_welsh

little_welsh Well-known Member

I always ride with supervision always have it just so much safer because if i fall of there's always someone there to help me.

15. kathyve

kathyve Active Member

I ride all by my little self as all my friends live some distance away - I do not have any hesitation but the O/H has some issues with it.
    Under NO circumstances am I allowed to play with my little boy (unbroken) without either my phone and/or company. But I guess they are all just looking after my best interests

16. Karijini

Karijini Well-known Member

But you do play anyway and you need a big SMACK you naughty girl!!! Don't let me catch you again or next time I will pack up your pony and take him away from you LOL. :D

BTW - I take mobile if I'm going bush but my agistment arena is normally safe riding (wellllll, until something scary jumps out of the trees & bushes lining next doors driveway!) If I do have a bad fall and it's late, my OH will eventually come looking for me... I hope! :p

17. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

I usually ride on my own on Thursday before the lesson starts because my horse needs some time to just have a gallop and do some fun jumps... Usually my pop is in his car, but I trust my horse enough to not run off if I fall and yeah...

I normally leave my phone in the car and sometimes there is some one there that will ride with me... I dont mind riding on my own, I find it a lot of fun because we can just do what ever we want to...

18. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

lol i like the eventually he may come looking. some with my bf. you can always contact me for rides. get me out and about:)*

19. amber sunday

amber sunday Well-known Member

im 16 and i ride alone most of the time, i agist on a small private property, and generally if i was to fall off, unless my horse came back without me, no-one would come looking for me (until my parents realised)... not the ideal situation, but thats how it is at the moment.

20. megan1

megan1 New Member

I am 16 so my parents make sure that when i ride some one who is able to drive is at home otherwise im not allowed to ride. I know the reason and its a good one too because i dont really want to end up dead because of a fall of a horse or something. Not just yet anyway.