riding without supervision...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by celestialdancer, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Aussie Rose

Aussie Rose New Member

Most of my day is spent working with OH so I'm not alone that often but have never had a problem plodding off on my own.

I too, take my mobile and usually tell OH/neighbours ect that if I'm not back by sundown to ring me and see what going on. (If I don't answer sound alarms lol)

Micah goes out on his own quite often. He needs the alone time with the young horses especially getting them in tune with him.

My girls, however, do not go anywhere bar shows alone. At shows there are many others around and I'm not so afraid of them playing up.
    In the back yard, even under supervision they have a tendancy to get excitibly competitive, cantering and galloping around. I could se them hiking up the jumps to 5ft just to see if they could do it.

I have been pondering this question for a while as I'm contsantly asked if they can go out by themselves but being only 7 I have told them to ask me again when they are 10.

2. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

I ride on my own sometimes but someone normally knows I am out at the horse so if I didnt return home soon would be noticed that im not there.

Cheers

Bec

3. cavalletti

cavalletti Active Member

I get taken out to stables but when I ride out the back or in an arena, I'm generally not 'supervised' and I often ride alone. But if something happens, theres almst always someone around.

4. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

All the time - there is usually someone pottering around, if not, there is a school right next door :p I always have my phone on me, and usually tell someone if I'm going riding.

5. georgia_46

georgia_46 New Member

i ride my lease horse on my own, but if anything happened, people come and go at our agistment centre all throughout the day..

6. Stormy

Stormy Well-known Member

i usually ride by myself, though as it is early in the morning their is people in the house though whether they are up is questionable. or in the evenings after work, their is not always someone there specifically watching me. Mum rides at home with no one there sometimes but that is the quieter horses and she lets some one know that she is riding and when she is finished

7. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

when i used to ride i always had parental supervision, i was only 16 nearly 17 when i stopped, but they where my fisrt and at the miniute only horse/s -one has passed- horses naturally have the fight or flight or method and if they throw a kick and a buck in and no-one is there to help pick you off the ground, you could be laying there for a while, but i can see why some people don't have company when riding.

8. JahiAleKhan

JahiAleKhan New Member

I always ride when nomatter if someones home or not. Except for the 2 months while i was still getting used to my horse ive always ridin alone anyway. I always bring a phone though so i can call dad or the neighbours.

9. When I was a kid my mum had the rule that I was only allowed to ride unsupervised by an experienced adult when I was 12 and had my 1st aid certificate. (Did St John's Cadets) and I had to have at least one riding buddy who was 12 or over to go with me.

I didn't start riding all by my oncey until I was about 15 or 16.

10. Ebza

Ebza Active Member

Im 13 and I ride out on my own during the week, while no ones around!( bush riding ect!) I keep a phone on me (with credit! lol) and My horse know the way back to the stable, my house or one of my old agistment places (i think if she got the desicion which way to go she would be torn! (LOTS of green grass and scary dog, or other horses and scary road to get there!:confused: ) . So If I fall off and cant get back on or something she will run to a place where I know people. Can be a bit risky with roads ect, but its something. Otherwise my mum knows Im out riding and if there is anyone around at the agistment I let them know which direction im riding!
    Thank god Lizzy came or I would be riding out on my own ALL THE TIME!**)

11. finding_nemo

finding_nemo Active Member

I allow my two sons 7 and 10 ride the bridle paths on their own. They have very trustworthy ponies and the boys are quite responsible ( well as responsible as boys can be anyway). My only rule is they must tell me which way and how far and long they are going for and to keep an eye on the time. This way I know where to start looking for them if they dont get home within a reasonable time.

The kids just love riding out without mum and dad. They always come home with huge grins and the ponies look pretty pleased with themselves too.

12. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

i have been riding out alone since i was a kid, never really thought about the what if's... have stacked it many times by myself 2! i guess now im older the possibility of getting seriously hurt is a bit more real but still dont know if i'd make a big deal of letting anyone in particular know. if i was gone for long enough im sure someone would come looking!

13. SanTann

SanTann Well-known Member

i go riding by myself a little bit and think it is fine but i agree that it is best to let someone know that you are riding

14. Cass25

Cass25 Active Member

My sister and I have always had someone there watching(we get them to take piccies too lol **) ) If mum can't come out and supervise us then we usually get each other to watch. We always have our phones with us too, incase we need them.

When going out on trails and the like, we usually just take a phone with us so we can call someone if needed.

15. [Alicia & Ibn]

[Alicia & Ibn] Active Member

i go riding out alone because the other people at my agistment centre are not around the same times i am so i ride out by myself. i went out today with a friend to the beach but probably not any time soon :(

16. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

I was riding on my own when I fell of my horse a couple of days ago pics in the thread I started about my stack but I would have been stuck in the paddock in the rain was it not for my mobile in my pocket i say if your on ya own at least take a moblie I learnt the painful way *looks at ankle#( *

17. Toy

Toy Active Member

I always use to ride on my own. My dad didn't even know that I had a horse so he wouldn't have known to come looking for me if I was late. My friends knew and probably would have missed me at school the next day, I hope. I have only ever fallen off a few times and its something I try not to do. I am pretty good at hanging on. Now though with my current mare (was green) and the fact that I have a child, what ifs have set in. I always wear a helmet on her (sets a good example for the kids that watch me ride past). And the first couple of times I rode her my OH followed in the car just to make sure. I still ride by myself but my OH would definently come looking for me if I was late as he has to watch our daughter.

18. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

i only ride rocky at home when no one is here cause we only walk so if something happens it shouldnt be too major.

wouldnt on rahni though...........

19. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

haha just realised i started this thred oops!!!

20. CountryGurl_007

CountryGurl_007 Well-known Member

i always ride on my own but i always have my phone own me (silent) but when i was riding Cardinal (ex race horse who came off the track and was ledft in the paddock for 4 and a bit yrs) i rode supervised but now i ride him by myself i just a thing you go through wen i was younger i used to to get watched like a hawk by my mum cause all my horses were green and big i had one horse who would drop you and run you over well i cant really call him a horse he was a shetland lol but i think its your own choice to ride unsupervisesd