riding without supervision...

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by celestialdancer, Mar 9, 2008.

1. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

so.... who out there rides their horses / ponies when no - one else is around??

i just rode rosie then, and no-one is here but i told the guy with the property next to us and he kept an eye on me, and the gates were shut and i had my phone....... what does everyone else do?

2. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

I ride on my own at home every day :D If I die, there is no-one to pick up the body for about two more weeks rofl. I don't let it worry me, I just be sensible and don't go bush riding on my own if there is no-one at home to notice I am missing! :D

3. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

My son supervises from the pram lol
    I do sometimes worry about if I were to have a bad fall while my OH is at work, so I just take every precaution. ATM I'm agisting but when I ride at home I feel better cause my neighbours are very nosey!! Not much gets past them.

4. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

I always ride on my own lol have done since i was 14 including bushriding etc, even usedta use my friends arena when no-one was home the parents didnt mind cos i just knew it was a ride at your own risk thing.

5. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i've been riding on my own since i was about 7 or 8. i used to have STRICT time limits & my dad wanted to know precisely where i was going so he could come find me should i fall off. i also wasn't allowed to leave the property until i got much older.o boy, i paced many a fenceline with my trusty steed.
    i also wasn't allowed to get off (tho how would he know that? i swear to god the birds told him) nor get my horse sweaty, as apparently that indicated i'd run the guts out of it.
    as i got older, i got a lot more freedom and by teenagehood pretty much had the run of the whole district.

nowadays i agist. most of my riding is done without other ppl around - i didn't feel the need to be too cautious with my old horse, but with my new guy i take my mobile phone. it's pretty good here because the agistment centres work together & if a riderless horse shows up they head out on quad's straightaway.

but i mostly ride in the arena or around the property when i'm by myself. my horse is pretty sensitive, so i just prefer it. it's a big deal for us to make it to the end of the drive without incident.

6. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

I had a bad fall years ago and was on my own so was unconscious for a while but my horse went home and my friends came and looked for me so now I call my O/H and let him know or my girlfriend where I keep him ..........I just text when I get on and then at the end.

7. Maree4

Maree4 Gold Member

I ride on my own, but i usually let someone know where i am, ie text dale when i arrive and when i am finished or i tell Shelly the day before i will be out there riding while she isn't home, at least someone knows where to look if they can't get hold of me and something has happened.

Always have a mobile with you, and do as you did let the neighbour know your riding on your own.

8. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

I've always ridden by my own on trails etc from about 13, just use to it now

9. Ozzies_Girl

Ozzies_Girl Well-known Member

I've always ridden alone and never even thought about it. I guess IMO, I could get kidnapped walking to the letterbox alone, crash my car alone, or dissapear doing any daily duties really.

10. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

I ride on my own all the time. I have my phone on vibrate in my pocket (so the ring doesnt scare the poor horse ha) so if something happens i can call. But if i was unconcious.. i dunno what would happen :confused: Though i tell mum, or the bf that i am going there beforehand..

:)

11. Shakia

Shakia Well-known Member

I keep my phone in my pocket if I am riding alone. Normally there is someone around when I ride though. When I used to ride out a lot, I generally told someone when I was going and a good friend knows the trails I would ride on and could come in with her 4WD if necessary. Never needed to thank goodness.

12. I always ride alone as I usually either a) don't have anyone to ride with or b) don't have anything else ridable on the place or sometimes both.

I have my name, address and emergency contact number on the tag inside my helmet, I have my mobile with me at all times with my OH in it as 'ICE - Steve' (which stands for In Case of Emergency = ICE hehe) and I also always tell somebody when I am going out and where I am going just in case.

13. pso

pso Gold Member

I always ride alone...but my arena is on a highway...If I fall off, about 30 people will see in about a second :eek: (they probably wont stop....but they might ring someone!:p )...If I am getting on a breaker for the first time, I will text a friend, with instructions to come and help me if I dont text back in 30mins...;) :))

14. equislave

equislave Well-known Member

My neighbours can see me if anything happens while I am riding at home and yes they have miraculously (sp) appeared on a number of occasions when I have fallen off and are home most of the time. I only ride out when my o/h is home and I wear a hat and body protector and carry my mobile just in case. I like someone to know where I am but I have no one to ride out with so just have to take precautions.

15. eventingchild

eventingchild Well-known Member

I ride on my own all the time
    the only time I am under supervision is if
    I ask mum to come out and help me fix up what I am doing wrong or to be a pole pickeruppa
    Lessons
    and comps

16. El_equine

El_equine Well-known Member

Mostly I ride on my own, cause it is my kid free time ;) but I always ring my OH before I get on & then text him when I am finished. At the moment I am limited to where I can ride, but am starting to do a bit more trail riding, but I always have my phone with me & I also tell the OH which roads I am going on, just in case. There are also a lot of vineyards & farms where I ride so normally some good helpful people around :)

17. Andhi

Andhi Gold Member

I ride a fair amount on my own, when I go out on a trail ride I have my mobile phone with me. However when I am at 'home' where I agist, then the owner of hte property is there most of the time, and he would notice if he see's Jazz with a saddle on and without me

18. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

most of the time I ride alone and it does not bother me unless im riding out of the paddoc.I was one of those it will never happen to me people until I woke up in hospital after bush riding one day thank god a friend was there now I still ride a lot alone but I have my mobile in my pocket at all times and also when i remember a card with I.C.E in it saying my name and emergency details and last but not least I have a tag I put on my horses bridle before I go out with my details on it so if the horse pisses of someone can find his home for me and realize I am missing!!!**) Amazing how a good scare can smarted up your act lol

19. celestialdancer

celestialdancer Gold Member

haha i like the pole pickerupper plan, lol.

i usually ride when a parent is home, and if i am out on a trail,. my pony just stays with me, unless i scream at rocky then she hears him neighing and goes home without me to get help, lol.

i always tell a parent / someone where i am going, and my contact info is in my tack room, i would put it inside my helmet, but if there is a head injury, they are not meant to take the helmet off:confused:

oh and rocky neighs whenever i fall off or the pony trips anyway:D

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I used to ride on my own all the time everyday.
    But now I have kids and usually ride breakers / green horses I like to be watched just incase :) (not riding anything atm of course).
    Infact at the moment both my OH and I have agree'd that I won't even so much look at a horse unless he's there to watch me (because I'm very pregnant).