Riding when pregnant

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by Cavalier, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Lauren you sound like me! I've told so many people the exact same thing!

2. Aussie Rose

Aussie Rose New Member

I rode right up until about 6 months. I would've kept going as long as i could but the girls were sooo big! In the end i couldn't even get my foot in the stirrup properly so that's when i called it quits.

I too got back in about a week after i had the girls. I found it very therapudic (sp) rather than sitting at the hospital waiting for the all clear on the twins.

3. Pooh Lah

Pooh Lah New Member

im 6 months preg now and it has never even occured to me to stop riding!! i have a young horse who does have a little tendecy to buck so he has been turned out till after the kid is born but it doesnt worry me at all getting on my other 2 who are both reliable and quite.
    same as merry legs to i still do all the feeding up mucking out and rugging and will do far as long as i can or hopefully all the way through the preg.

4. ilikehorsesdou

ilikehorsesdou Well-known Member

i was riding race horses when i had my first two children!

i rode rite up two 7 months as i did not show(i was only 18yrs old) think i was hoping i fall off and had a miscarriage

then the second one i rode race horses till i was bout 6 months preg but i kept riding my own horses till the week before i had her

with the 3 child i was eventing and show jumping and i did that up to 7 months then i just rode at home rite up to the day i had her, i went out the day before i had krys and tried a new horse out and brought him tooo

i think it your own choice if you feel safe to do it that go a head

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

***dito***

6. moodymare

moodymare Well-known Member

I rode at the state champs when I was 4-5 months along but had to stop after that cause I couldnt dismount!!!!( my bump got in the way!) my doctor assured me that it was ok to ride as long as I felt comfortable as my body would let me know when to stop.
    My little one is now 15 months old and cant wait to ride herself so maybe she learnt inutero!LOL, We are working on number two and I plan to ride for as long as my body allows, some of my friends have ridden right up to their due date and others have found it uncomfortable right from the beginning, I suppose it also depends on the horse and whether you are an at risk pregnancy.
    The most important thing to remember is that pregnant women are pregnant not sick so some excercise will benifit both mum and bub

7. beckys_best

beckys_best Well-known Member

wow this thread been around a while well me I rode the whole time I was pregnant infact I went into labour on the back of my old little grey stallion jaffale out bush on my own took me over a hour to get back to the car! I think its one of those things u just do it or not. I fell of my horse when I was about 6 months I still kept riding I guess im one of those people who see it as if its meant to be it will happen no matter what if its not a horse its a drunk driver hitting your car or your going to slip over in the bath tub everything has some risk and I can tell you now clumsy me has tripped over more times that I have ever fallen of a horse :)* so looking at it that way I just played the best odds :)

8. robbing'charisma

robbing'charisma Well-known Member

i think it depends on the person and more importantly the horse...

i have read that mothers tend to stop riding after their first child because they can see more safety risks....but it all depends on the person

9. bindi35

bindi35 New Member

I rode with both kids and after with my daughter all the way up to the day before. With my son he was sitting different and i had to stop about 8 months. I would say if your fit healthly and comfortable with it do it on a quiet horse because you will find trot a little difficult no matter how smooth it is. Best option walk canter.After all your pregnant not dead.

10. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

I rode trackwork wirh my first daughter until I was 7 months and the stewards asked me to stop. I strapped racehorses until I was 2 weeks off having her and never once did I feel unsafe or have a horse hurt me or my unborn baby in any way. Howwever when I was in labour I only dilated to 2 cms and my doctor said he thinks it was due to being too um tight in there! A c section was necessary!
    When I found out I was pregnant for the second time I competed at 4 ag shows, on a 17.2hh newcomer just off the track. I won Champ hack on him at Collie show and 2 days later at my ultrsound we found 2 little bubs not one!!! Needless to say I stopped straight away, twins are hard to hold onto at the best of times. But had it been one baby I would have shown him all summer long.

5 weeks after my sacond c section and my twins birth I was back on him. No worries. It really helped me recover and gave me time out from being a full time mum!

I'd be more worried about the amount of people smoking and drinking while pregnant than people riding horses!!! Or smoking in cars with kids!!#(

11. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

im pregnant now, due in 6 weeks and i had to stop riding. i rode at the start of the pregnancy, but at 5 months had cramps and bleeding after a ride and the doctor demanded i stop. i dont think i could ride now anyways becoz its sooooo uncomfortable!!! i have been told by my doc that most women who ride thru pregnancy will need stitches after birth.#( dunno if its true or not. all i kow is i cant wait to start riding again!:)

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

good on the Dr.

13. balletprincess

balletprincess Well-known Member

I rode Belle when I was 7 months pregnant. Was planning on taking her to a show, but she was a bit full of herself a few days before, and I was feeling off (mild pre-eclampsia) and didn't want to risk it. I was forced to stop work (doctors orders) the few weeks later.

Was back doing stablehand work a few weeks after my c-section, and have just hopped back on her - almost 8 months later. I have been a bit hesitant getting back on, knowing that if something was to happen I would be in a tough situation trying to look after Ash.

14. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

wouldnt riding when pregnant be just as bad as riding without a helmet? just in my opinion, there is a risk with both, i hope there is no one out there who sed theyd never ride with no helmet but would ride pregnant!! i mean either way, if u fall off u risk either a head injury or losing your baby. i guess its just one big risk for both!!

15. Jocko

Jocko Well-known Member

I'm pregnant now and have choosen not to ride as it has been a long three years trying to get pregnant so i think a year from riding won't hurt and i can still done all the other things like showing and being a spectator.When having made a life changing choice its up to me to protect my baby as best i can.

16. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Biggest congratulations Jocko. :)* :))
    Wonderful news. **)

17. Jocko

Jocko Well-known Member

Thankyou Ky you will still see me out and about with the boy once this morning/afternoon sickness passes.

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Lol, blah morning sickness.

But still, its great news. Best wishes for yourself & your OH. **)

19. PINTO1980

PINTO1980 Gold Member

Oh yay Nic..Biggest Congrats...:)) :))

Y you not tell us????:)

20. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

morning sickness sucks!!!! u got my sympathy on that one, i had morning sickness up til 5 months!:(
    i gotta cum c ya soon, when u back at work?