Rider insurance

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by shadowkat, Nov 23, 2009.

1. shadowkat

shadowkat Well-known Member

Ok, I want to start getting semi-regular lessons, and the instructor I contacted said I'd need to get rider's insurance. What's the easiest and cheapest way to do this? I saw that I can get associate membership of EWA for about $150 - can I get a better deal another way?
    Thanks

2. loisal

loisal Guest

Whether you are a horse owner, rider or someone who engages in horse riding activities as a hobby or sport, there are various types of equestrian insurance plans that provide the necessary coverage. By having the appropriate type of insurance you have peace of mind should you be faced with an unfortunate circumstance. As a rider it is paramount that you obtain horse rider insurance in order to cover yourself for medical expenses should you be involved in an accident. Moreover, horse rider insurance will cover you should a third party be involved in an accident as a result of your riding actions. It is all too easy to adopt the approach to insurance as an unnecessary expense, but it could be the best investment you ever make. Horses can be spooked at any given time as thus provoke a nasty accident and it may not only be yourself who suffers serious injuries as a result. Horse riding insurance is the underlining protection plan against being sued or having the added worry of mounting medical costs. Whatever your horse interest may be there is a horse rider insurance plan that will meet your requirements. In general most insurance plans will cover riders between the ages of 5 to 75 against all types of equestrian accident. Depending on the level of riding you do as well as the type, such as show jumping, horse racing or simple outback riding, policies can be custom made to meet the specific needs of the rider. Just about anyone who indulges in some form of horse riding is strongly advised to buy horse riding insurance. Student riders for example should obtain a personal insurance plan to protect themselves from common accidents which often take place in training classes. It is particularly important to have insurance if you are not riding your own horse as the reliability of another horse’s skills cannot be guaranteed.

3. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

';'Where can you get Horse Riders Insurance? Who offers it? :confused:

4. niccyv

niccyv New Member

Show Horse council, best I found. I was with EFA/EWA in 2006, 2007, 2008 and paid so much. SHC seems the most reasonable at the moment.

5. Heifer

Heifer Gold Member

Im with SHC now after the dodgy 1/2 year at full price stunt EWA pulled... Both are through AON and i did some research before i decided. SHC actually pays out more in event of a claim, but for a shorter period. SHC also had smaller excess.

Have claimed through AON before and had no probs at all. Between them and HBF i was saved ambulance fees, hospital fees (private hosp), anaesthetic, surgery, occupational therapy etc etc. They covered pretty much everything :). So it well paid for itself.