Ride Outs

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Arnie, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Arnie is not doing too well. While watching tv I got a call saying that Arnie's down and he's not well at all. So I rushed down and the lady that owns the other horses was walking him around for me. I called the vet and she rushed down and while watching for the vet I had to keep Arnie walking because the second you'd stop he'd just collaps because he was so sick he just couldn't be bothered sniffing for a nice play to land. She isn't 100% sure what it is but she thinks its most likely to be sand that has built up over the years. She gave him a more seviour drench this time and told me to ride him in a week. She was very surprised that he had colic again and is worried about him. I'm pretty worried about him now. I just don't have the money now to keep up with him nor do my parents so I might be "forced" to sell him just so I can pay the vet bills :-(...

~§Arnie§~

2. angelTricia

angelTricia Well-known Member

Poor Arnie sounds like he's in the wars a bit these days I hope he gets well soon but I wouldn't go riding him a week after being drenched I'd give him a bit more time that way you can watch him each day to see if he's recovering well, and after give him a light work out I'd lunge him for about a week and see how he goes if he goes well then I'd give him a light work out under saddle. That way if anything happens when you lunge him you wont feel as bad as to if you were riding him Im not saying your heavy but when sand sets in his tummy it sets like cement at the bottom and he probably wont feel much like having a person on his back as the sand would probably feel as though he is carrying a tone around.But good luck too you both I know what it's like to have a horse get colic quite often I also know what its like to lose a horse to colic but its just a thing that can go wrong.
    I read in a USA horse magazine a study done by vets on horses and colic it said that horse from 18mths to 5yrs are at high risk of getting colic and older horses aorund 18yrs + and the breeds most prone to it are thoroughbreds, arabs and quater horses but they weren't sure about thoroughbreds in racing as they didn't do the study on racing horses.

3. robbi

robbi Active Member

*sigh* :-/ hi sarah
    poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooor
    Arnie Boy :-( maybe you will have to move your agistment centre if worst comes to worst, which i think that is pretty BAD :-(....col=cries out loud! and best wishes sarah and Arnie Boy!

Jess who luvs Robbi!!

4. robbi

robbi Active Member

Hi angelTricia,
    i thought i might just comment on your horse u have as ur picture thingy on the side has really nice looks in my opinion
    What breed is she?
    Is she nice to ride?
    How old is she?
    What is her name?
    hope u dont mind me asking all these questions.............lol.............;-)

Jess who luvs Robbi!!

5. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

AngelTricia and Jess...Thanks for you concerns...the vet recomended that I ride him in exactly a week (sunday) but make him work not do light work. She wants to see how he reacts and if he gets it again she's going to have to drench him again and if he's fine she'll recomend me give him Sandloob. We have discussed about moving Arnie but out of Herne Hill because Anita (the vet) says if you move anywhere in Herne Hill its going to have the same effect. I'm going to have a look at the horse properties just down the road from me and if I can move him somewhere there I can walk there and back and spend as much time as I want there and more time with him. The day before he got colic I rode him but I decided to sit back and have some fun so I galloped him flat out around the paddock teaching him to gallop as fast as he can and then spin around the tires on the ground...he got so fast at it all I could do was sit there and pray because a number of times I almost came off...Anita said that this would of upset his stomach but I didn't do anything wrong. The drench she gave him yesterday will make him feel rather sick for a few days but I will have to keep my eye on him. I hope its nothing bad. When I 1st got him he was in a sand paddock...not 1 grain of grass just sand. He was there for a few years and now his paddock atm is pretty sandy because it really needs a year off. Do you guys think it could be sand? Or is something else bothering him? I dunno what else to do then just sit and wait :-S...

~§Arnie§~

6. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Hi Arnie

Do you feed your horse large quantities of minerals, and is he drinking bore water?

Coda Cowgirl

7. angelTricia

Hi Robbi the horse in the picture next to my post is my filly Lupka she is 2.5yrs old she is a Quarab X Thoroughbred and she is nice to ride though I haven't ridden her for a few weeks as she had cut her back leg it is almost fully healed now which is good.

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

So far he gets 1 biscket of hay morning and night. And everytime I go down he gets...Pony Cubes, Shandy, Electrolight and oil thats all I can afford the vet says that good enough...

~§Arnie§~

9. sil

sil Gold Member

Arnie, one of the biggest factors I see is that you mentioned his paddock is patchy. Patchy grass/sand paddocks are the worst for colic as there is enough grass to keep the horse picking but they pick up a LOT of sand as they eat.

The second is that you are riding him while he is sick. Think about how you feel when you have a bad stomachache, the last thing you want to do is work or run around. Your horse needs a real rest so he can recover properly, at least a few weeks.

The third is that feeding a good quantity of hay is the prime mover of sand in a horse's gut. Kentucky Equine Research recently completed a big field study on sand colic and came to this conclusion. 3 or 4 big biscuits a day is good. 2 may not be enough especially if they are thin or light biscuits.

Their field study also showed that feeding bran, bran mashes and/or sandlubes (psyllium husk) had little to no real effect on moving sand in the gut regardless of the quantity fed. IT also commented that drenches had a very limited effect.

From my own experience too, I have found some of the easiest things to mind is that hard feed should be fed in a nice big container from the ground, hard to tip so the horse eats his whole ration without spilling it onto dirt and then eating sand with his feed.

I would also recommend that if he has been drenched a few times to give him a paste to restore his gut bacteria. I also use Bach flower remedies and rescue remedy is a good one to give after stressful incidents like bad colics. There are no side effects.

Sil

~ Do as much as it takes, do as little as it takes. ~

10. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

A vet once told a friend of mine that everytime her horse started to show signs of colic (in this horses case she got the runs) to give her about half a litre of yogurt for a couple of days. This worked extremely well for this horse, and it didn't upset any of the good bacteria in her gut. From trial and error the horses (mine got it once too) liked Apricot and Muslie flavors best!!

Coda Cowgirl

11. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Hi sarah, try a paste called micro rebound 3 it restores the good bacteria in the gut after drenching, you can get it at the stock feeders and its about $15 a tube but one tube does three doses. Also my horses get two full 50ml syringes of parafin oil every week, along with alot of hay and i havent had a horse with colic for years.

Hannah

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanyou for all your tips and help. I will try all of them and see how Arnie goes. Sil in regards to you saying I should ride him...I was only doing what the vet said. She told me give him a few days after the drench and start riding him lightly then a week or two if he seems fine I can do what I like. So I did. Then he came down with colic again and she's told me now not to ride for a week but then on the Sunday ride him pretty hard. I would never ride my horse if I knew he was ill I'm only doing what the vet said. And the "sandlube" was recomended by the vet on Sunday and I will be buying some of that next week if the vet gives it an ok to do so. Thankyou... I checked on Arnie yesterday and he wasn't eating but I went bak later on and he was nibbling slightly so he's slowly improving. He looks rather sick still but Anita said that, thats normal and supposed to happen. I'll keep you guys updated...thankyou...

~§Arnie§~

13. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

check with the vet first, but I would recommend a couple of doses of slippery elm (not sure of spelling but it soudns like that) Slipperyelm can be bought from a health store. It is much cheaper to buy the human version, than the horse version. (my vet is into natural remidies)
    this will help repair his stomach, and coat the lining... similar to yougart.. or yakult
    yougart is usually recommended on a regual basis, and it really only helps repair the problem rather than fix the cause of the problem, where slipperyelm usually will fix the cause as well as repair. once stomach is fixed, then only need once a year.

Sometimes spasmatic collic can be caused from ulcers. You said your horses personality has changed slowly.... mabey an ulcer from b4 you is building up? You can take a blood test to be sure, but they are expensive, and usually it is. even if it isnt most treatments just help the stomach and dont do any harm.

-bec-

14. angelTricia

sorry about this message and the 3 above it my pc was playing up and it didn't seem to be sending my post through then it came through more than once sorry for the waste of space

15. angelTricia

Hi I remembered something that the Belmont vet told me once about re-occuring colic a horse can have re-occuring colic and be ok then a few days or even a couple of months later go down with it again they will act as though they are about to die and all of a sudden be fine but there is no cure for this form of colic other than to put the horse down, you can try to have it opperated on but could end up doing more harm then good as they thought one of my horses I used to own had re-occuring colic as she had all the symptoms but turned out after tests where done it was cancer in her belly and she had to be put down. I hope Anrie gets well he seems to be a tough nut so I think he'll get well quite soon all the best to both you and Arnie and I hope you don't have to sell him due to vet bills that would be ashame as it seems you've both come along way together and will probably go even further.

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had the farrier out to Arnie today and he said that Arnie's feet were so dry and cracked that all he could do was clean them up and come back in a few weeks to shoe him if he needs it. He suggested absolutly any oil but recomended animal fat from the butches the best. He said Arnie is so desperate I better put it on him today other wise his foot his most likely to crack open. He also said that Arnie is such a huge horse and by the looks of him he's not far off foundering. And so he said don't listen to the vet get working him straight away because he real close to it. Then he took a look at his back and neck for me and the way Arnie thrashed back when he was taking a look ya could just tell he was in pain so he's going to give me a number of a very good chiropractor...the bad news just keeps on rolling in doesn't it!...

~§Arnie§~

17. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Oh Arnie, that's all so terrible, I wish that I could do something for you, but seeing as I can't I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and your beloved Arnie Boy and I send you a big christmas wish that your boy gets better soon so you can spend some time together over your holidays going for some enjoyable rides.

18. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

thats not too bad. it may seem like a problem now, but it is quite fixable, and chyropractors dont charge a lot, like vets do, as they have minimal overheads to clear, so it is usually just covering the cost of travel, and a few toys [​IMG]
    Another consideration is 'why is arnies neck out?" it could just be that he ran around the paddock and put something out... easy to do, but then again he could be sore in other places, which aren't as noticeble and putting the secondary effect in his spine.

-bec-

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I guess that he's most likely to be out because one his accident in the float, two being blown through a fence and most likely was thrashed about and three trying to jump out the yard apparently he smashed his body around the yard...Thankyou so much horsegirl thats so sweet of you :) it bought a tear to my eye...I hope you have a very good christmas and enjoy it heaps :)...

~§Arnie§~

20. Zahira

Zahira Well-known Member

Hey sarah,

Keep ya chin up mate! Good Luck and best wishes to you and arnie, remember you have my number if you ever need anything, or just want to chat...

I might see if i can come up and visit you and arnie over my three week break, give me a ring! I have no computer at home so if ya do try and contact me between the 20th Dec - 13th Jan, you'll need to ring....

Ness

P.S His poll could be out too, maybe the source of his mood swings.......??? I know my mood is all over the place when i have a head ache....he he

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.