Ride Outs

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Arnie, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Hi Arnie. I know what Hannah means about checking your horse as often as possible. My first horse went down with colic when I'd only had him about a month. It was a combination of having been wormed and going onto good feed after being fairly neglected before I got him. I had him drenched at 3pm in the afternoon and by 6pm he was back to normal and willing to graze and trot around, the vet told me he'd be fine. Well, I went home and after about an hour of being home I decided to go and check him again, so off I headed. When I got there he was okay but didn't seem as alert as he'd been when I left him. I thought that, he didn't seem 100 percent, that I'd stay down there. Good job I did 'cos about 9pm that night he just dropped to the ground and lay groaning and carrying on as if he was dying! By the time the vet got back out he was really bad and between us we got him up and re rugged then he was drenched again and given a pain killer jab and I spent the next hour walking him around. It wasn't till about 2am that he'd pulled through and was okay to graze again. I was so relieved that I'd gone back there as he wouldn't have been found till the morning and by then it could've been too late!!! That's the thing with colic, especially spasmodic colic, it can come back at anytime. I do hope that your horse has made a complete recovery.

Ali

2. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I'm only limited to a few days a week of seeing Arnie no matter what. My parents arn't dedicated at all and don't want me to have anything to do with horses but don't have the heart to just sell him. Its bin bout 4yrs since they last saw me on a horses back. Mum saw Arnie in pain and she could hear him groaning and she was pissed off because she couldn't get home to start tea! She wanted to put him in the paddock and see how he is the next day! You can imagin what I said...Arnie's back in work now so he'll soon be fitter and hopefully those little tummy aches will go away. He did have alot of sand in his belly which was the cause. You don't have to worry its been 24hrs and he's going strong. I put half a carrot in my mouth and he so desperatly wanted it he took my nose of too...He's got 2mor off and Thursday or Friday I'll try to work him again...is it him or I thats the bad luck? What gonna happen next? It seems to get worse and worse :-S...

~§Arnie§~

3. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

arnie, r u trying to create the longest thread???? [​IMG]

hope arnie is better today

-bec-

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Longest thread? What do you mean? Yeh Arnie's good happy to see me today and get his feed...

~§Arnie§~

5. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

This discussion is the longest on this forum ...... by a loooong way. i was wondering if you had a goal to make the longest [​IMG]

thats great to hear arnie is getting better. r u riding him again?

-bec-

6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

No? But hey good to know all ya ppl care :) Yeh I've just started riding again...The vet said I'm gonna have to ride him cuz he's gonna founder! And there I was thinking he wasn't fat! Right well she fixed that! Anyway yes Arnie is just started to get ridden again and hopefully the drenching might help his attitude a bit. He's definently purked up...

~§Arnie§~

7. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

founder isnt necessarily caused by being fat.

great to hear you riding him again. hope all goes well

-bec-

8. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Arnie got colic again today :-( same thing happened I rode him then untacked him and he collasped. I didn't let him lay down as much this time and bout an hour later he nibbelled on a carrot then happily ate his hay. Didn't get the vet out this time because of his quick recovery but I'll go down and see him tomorrow and probably call the vet them...

~§Arnie§~

9. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

The vet called me and he said to buy some Electrolyte or something like that. So I went to the stockfeeds and bought that and some Shandy to go with his pony cubes. I rode him and he seemed fine. I put the Electro, Shandy and pony cubes together and watered it down but he didn't dig into it like he usually would then after a little while he started to spit it out then stopped totally and refused to eat and the colic had hit again but only like 15min this time and so I gave him some new hay and he started to eat that and I've left the feed in there for him to nibble. The vet suggested it could be the stress of being ridden so I explained to him about his troubles with having a rider on him. What do you think?...

~§Arnie§~

10. angelTricia

angelTricia Well-known Member

Hi Arnie which vet do you use? I found that the Caversham vet isn't very good to use as they always came out to my horses and didn't do much of an examination and everytime they treated my horses for colic only one horse I had that they treated for colic didn't have colic she had all the same symptoms of colic and she'd look as though she was going to die she'd dig big holes and lay in them and then 10mins later she'd be fine it was like nothing happend then she was well for a few months then she did it again so I got another opinion and it turned out she had a tumor growing in her stomach very slowly I asked what could be done the vet said to operate it would cost a few thousand dollars and even then things could go wrong as it is quite risky doing surgery on a horse she said an infection could get in and make things worse so I had her put to sleep. A good thing to use to help prevent sand colic is sand lube or phsylium husk its the same ingridient as sand lube but is a bit cheaper but you can only use it when your horse doesn't have colic, or a good drench twice a year like the end of summer and the end of winter as the change of seasons also help in the amount of sand a horse picks up.
    Hope Arnie gets well soon and I hope some of the info I gave is of some use to you.

11. angelTricia

angelTricia Well-known Member

I just remembered a couple of other things we give our horses to help flush them every month you can give Arnie a bran mash with some flat beer and a teaspoon of ginger or epsom salts or you can pour the beer and ginger down his throat in a bottle like a 2lt coke bottle in the side of his mouth and let him swollow it as though he is having a drink if he hates the taste add a little molassas

12. kp

kp Well-known Member

Just a thought. It may be worth giving him a wormer. Ensuring does tapeworms. He may just have a worm infestation. But check with your vet before you do it.

13. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou heaps that info was very helpful. I use the vet from Mundaring out. Their great vets and are willing to explain it all to ya and examin your horse well. I did what Duncan said and got the electrolyte and I've mixed it with sum Shandy and pony cubes and watered it down but he ate only half and then his colic hit again...but this time only bout 15 min (this was after I rode him today) its decreasing everytime but Duncan told me that if it keeps on happening after a ride the best way to cure it is to frequently ride but not full on and soon he'll get used to it and his colic should be gone. It seems to work. I also put normal cooking oil in his feed would that help? Thankyou for your help hey he seems to be inproving...oh and another thing nothing to do with colic but Arnie seems to be in his yard all the time. He rarely leaves to go to the paddock to eat. Or he's just a couple of meters from the yard but he never seems to venture out to the back of the paddock. This has been going on since I first had him there and I'm worried that he's coming to attatched to his yard and I'm having more and more trouble taking him away...If I close the gates he'll just stand there staring into the yard...how can i get him away from it???...

~§Arnie§~

14. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Hi Arnie. Does your horse have a shelter/stable in his yard? If he has it could just be that he is trying to keep out of the weather and away from the flies? Is there plenty of trees and shade in his paddock, does he have company? I wouldn't worry about him hanging around his yard too much unless he becomes reluctant to leave it when ridden! Let's face it, if he gets hungry he'll soon wander out into the padddock to graze. The shetland pony that I got recently, prefers to spend alot of time just standing in his shelter. Maybe they are horses that just prefer to be ' home bodies' rarther than out and about like the others?! If you are really concerned about it mention it to your vet next time they are out, it's a good idea to give your vet a general idea of your horse's habits so it's easier to spot something amiss.

Ali

15. Sassy

Sassy Gold Member

when our horses get colic we give them Burg Oil, it is really smelly black stuff but it has worked for us, you should be able to get it at a stockfeeds. you syringe it onto the horses tongue and they should feel better in no time. goodluck

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thanks for your info guys...I went down today and once again he was standing in his yard I think he hadn't bin fed because he was pretty hungry and kept on trying to rip my pockets open to see if there was any food in there but I dunno why he kept on trying to rip my top off???? Whats my horse coming to! Even though it was windy he was fine to ride and I'm taught him to stop using purely my seat and to turn and at times I'd drop my reins so I wouldn't use them. I finally decided he was ok to canter so I did a few circles. He definently was over his colic today and was happy after when I gave him his feed. Yes he is improving now but still after I rode him his eye's looked rather sickish. I will keep a close eye on him to make sure the colic doesn't come back and if it does even for a little bit I will get the vet out again just to be sure. Also I have 2 circles right as my arena, its boring just walk, trot and cantering on them...I can't go out on rides and do you guys know any activities that would keep his mind at work but yet keep him calm and not stressed out??? Kinda weird question to ask but I wouldn't know anyhting haven't ridden with someone for over 5 years now...

~§Arnie§~

17. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Just to give him something different to do, have you ever long reined him? This can be more beneficial than lunging. If he can be long reined you could try him over trotting poles, through 'tunnels' made with poles on the ground, over tarps on the groung etc anything that can be done safetly and under control and the more different things he gets used to the more confident he will become out on rides.

Ali

18. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I've never tried long reining wouldn't know where to start I'm sure its a gr8 idea and I'll look into it somemore...thanks...

~§Arnie§~

19. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Hi Sarah, today was good. I think you are doing a good job with arnie especially under the circumstances, (no arena,round yard ect). The exercises i did with arnie today worked very well i thought, you need to take ALL his decisions away from him, when he wants to go forward, you send him backward, when he stops send him forward, if he tries to barge through you halt him. if he wants to go left you go right! you get the idea. anyway i think if you and vixs do this quite regularly then he shouldnt be a problem i shall try to find time to help you out again if i can. i understand that he is a big horse but i dont think hes a problem horse, i just think you need to be more convincing with his disipline, i think maybe you are being a little too soft on him, after all like i said this morning, horses are in the paddock for 23 hours a day and can do whatever the hell they like in that time, BUT for the 1 hour a day they are worked i think they can bloody well behave themselves. 1 hour of our decisions is not a lot to ask i think. Arnie doesn,t seem dangerous or even scared to me i just think he hasnt had the exposure to much in his life, and the more you help him to experience, the more reliable and safe he will become.

WELL DONE SARAH for getting him this far, it is hard enough with a willing partner let alone one that questions everything you ask from them.

Hannah

20. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou SSSSSOOOOO much Hannah for coming down. He was actually an angel I couldn't believe it. Sorry if my riding was really bad but atm I don't care about my posture or anything like that. Just as long as he comes good. Maybe next time (if next time) he might show the real him but hopefully he would of improved by then. I never thought that Arnie had a nasty streek in him as you said just he hasn't been there done that yet. He seriously doesn't look like the type of horse to go crazy hey? Its so hard though because the only person "ever" to see him be like that is me. And I tell other ppl and they say I'm exagerating. Due to the slow trotting I've been doing with him is what has made him a little hard in the legs I realised today because I've been giving him soft aids and asking for a slow gate....I guess I should go "Aid fast gait then after a little while slow to a slower pace of the same gait" maybe that'll keep him awake. Vix is coming over tomorrow. Or shall I say today oh nope this morning she ova but right now she's cuddled up in bed asleep and I'm the only 1 up in the house which isn't good afta I watched 3 episodes of Chucky...anyway she has agreed to help me with Arnie tomorrow and we will do what you taught me yesterday. Once again thankyou heaps for your help and I will keep you updated on Arnie's progress...

~§Arnie§~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.