Ride Outs

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Arnie, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I like to take my horse out on rides, but when ever we turn for the direction of home he starts prancing, bolting, bucking rearing anything just so he can get home faster. If I let him go faster he just bucks. There is a horse that he is always eiger to get home to but its just getting out of control, can you help me?

2. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hi Arnie,

I think there are a lot of riders out there that have experienced the same problem at some time. However, you have a horse with some very serious vices so firstly and most importantly let me say that you should not compromise your personal safety until this horse learns to respect YOU. He is obviously full of himself and there is absolutely no excuse for this behaviour!

To turn this behaviour around I would take the following approach:
    Make sure that this horse is only getting the basic feed requirements to meet his work output needs. No oats, barley etc. Back to basics - plenty of meaningful ground work in a round yard and lots of riding in an open and safe area on a regular basis. Get out there and do LOTS of big circles at the canter. Make sure you and the horse stay as relaxed as possible. Only let the horse do what you want him to do without putting yourself at risk!

Regards...Murray S

realalvin likes this.
  3. kp

kp Well-known Member

Ground work to start of with. I wouldn't mind betting that this horse can also be pushy on the groung. PP 7 games tend to work well. Educate him under saddle to circle, rein back, leg yield everything you can. Better educated your horse under saddle the more chance you have of solving this behaviour problem. Also learn the one rein stop. So whenever he tries to mess around coming home make him work harder. Use that energy. One rein stops if he bucks. You have to disengage his hindquarters. Do lots of circles turn around head back in the opposite direction, leg yield. Just use that energy and make him work. Never let him get away with it. If you are consistent with your approach, he will eventually learn that it is easier to what is asked.

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I do alot of flat work. About 6 days a week its flat work and the other 1 day it the ride out. He does leg yeild. He is a very good horse to ride on the flat and is very very well mannered all the time, its only when coming back from rides. I do not stand for any bad behavior that way but its the way he runs from underneath me and takes off. Then if I am able to control him he has a spazz attack to release my aids. He is a very big muscelled horse.

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

If he has a spazz, do not fight him, he is bigger and stronger than you and will always out muscle you. One rein stop, make do something else. Head back in the opposite direction. If he runs out from under you, one rein stop, drop one rein, hold onto the other with both hands and bring his head around. Just be careful he does not rear on you. Hold his until he gives to you. Licks his lips chews the bit and stops pulling away. You may do lots of little circles the first few times. Once he gives to you straighten him up and ride as if nothing has happened. If he takes of again repeat the exercise immediately. He will eventually give in. It might pay to try this at home first to make sure he does not rear to try and get out of it.

Good luck

realalvin likes this.
  6. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Thankyou......

7. megan

megan Well-known Member

you could try going differents way home so he does not know where he is going that can help also maybe not go bake the same way you came

8. Em

Em Well-known Member

Everytime he gets carried away on the way home make what he does uncomfortable. As soon as he starts to carry on turn in the opposite direction away from home and make him work eg do a big trot away from home, or lots of small circles, but the key thing is make him uncomfortable - believe it or not horses are naturally very lazy when it comes to horse and rider interaction, they will always take the easy road out of a task. It won't take long at all and he will soon realise that if he just walks it won't mean extra work!!

Em

Em

9. sophie

sophie New Member

Hi, I have a bit of advice which might help you if your prepared to do a little work. It's actually quite simple! When you and your horse are fighting - your pulling and he's resisting all of your comands because he wants to get home, be fed and go to bed! Will he sure be in for a shock when you play this little trick on him. As soon as he gets into his zone of comfort ie: stable, paddock ect.... work him. Trot, canter whatever him in the area where he wants to be most - the area he is running back to.
    I'm guessing that you feed him as soon as you get home too? Well don't. Make your own tea first, clean out a stable, take an hour or so and THEN feed him. This so called paradise he enjoys and bolts home to all the time wont be comfortable enough to run home to any more.
    Well i hope I have helped you a little, have fun!

Sophie =)

10. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Hi,
    I thought that I should write back and tell you about our progress. Well I recently took him out on a ride today. After I took him down a road towards home. For the first half he was fine but then dogs came up and started to hassel him. He hates dogs and try's to kill them, at the same time he was trying to get home. He reared on me once. The rest of the time he had his tail up in the air and was "Piaffing" the whole way down the road. Then out of no where he started bucking. I managed to stay on. Then I took him in the vine yards where I decided to get off because it was the last stretch (100m) to his paddock and so it was too dangerous for me to ride. He was extremly pushy but I'm just glad I made it home in one peice. All he gets is hay and is ridden 3-4 times a week pretty hard. He is extremly well behaved in the paddock. But I also realised he is being very spooky lately.
    eg: I went to pat his shoulder and he ran away from me, I can't touch his rump while riding because he runs forward, when I get on he spooks at my leg going over his rump and then starts bucking. I'm very worried but sadly don't have enough money to get lessons:( I'm trying my hardest and being as confident as I can but its getting too much.) I’d never consider selling him though so I’m stuck……can anyone please help me? I love him too much to lose him…..

11. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

that all sounds too terrible to me. do you have a friend that is more experienced/confident than you who can give you a hand with him? i understand how you feel, my tb was a fruitloop when i got him and now he is becoming the horse i never thought he could be. how long have you had him, and does he have a companion at home, how much riding have you done, how much time do you spend on the ground with him. i ask these questions because i have found that the more time i spend with my boys (in the paddock with them or just grooming or allowing them to nibble on the grass around the property), they seem to like my company and don't give me any grief to handle or ride.

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Hi,
    In reply to the last message. I have been riding for 10yrs. I have no friend I can ride with. Everyday I spend 30min just sitting down a bonding with him. He gladly comes up and puts his head in my arms and falls asleep. During flat he is an angel and wouldn't to anything. Infact at home he's a dopey horse. Its only out on rides. Usually I can handle things like this but its the way he comes from underneath me that I am not experienced with. I'm only 15 and am quite strong with horses but its too dangerous for me to keep going on like that. I love him and we have a great friend ship but he egnores me when it comes to the direction of home. When I take him to shows he's really good. He's quite. Likes to neigh quite a bit but otherwise he's fine. He's one weird horse:S

13. kp

kp Well-known Member

If I were you I would stop riding this horse and instead, do groundwork. Teach him manners. If you you can take him to a clinic, take him, or just go yourself to watch and learn. What this horse is doing is extremely dangerous. If you can't do any of this get hold of the parali videos. You can buy them and I think you can get them from libraries. When he is good at home in halter. Take him for walks down the road. And continue your lessons outside of where he lives. It will take time but will be well worth your while. The way things are going at the moment it can only end in disaster. The only equipment that you will need is a rope halter and a parreli rope which you can get from any stockfeeders. You should notice some sort of a change fairly quickly.

Good luck

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Like i said. He is extreemly good doing ground work. He's all dopey. Jumping too he just jumps nothing else. Sure he gets excited jumping and gallops over them but nothing else. He is extreemly well manager on the ground. A little spooky when ur behind him other wise he's ok. Months ago I started to teach him lead and now he's very good to do that. I have lead him out before, he ends up running in circles around me and dragging me down the road. I've tried with with a bridle, halter, bridle with chain. He's a totally different horse when this happens. Its not the cuddling up type horse i no. Totally different. When we are out on rides he's fine, sometimes stopping and turning for home but if i just turn him around and a small tap of the whip he keeps on going. Its only when we turn for home he gets himself all worked up and excited. Then I get home and I egnore him for a while. He trys to cuddle up to me and I push him away and try to make his home time as horrible as possible. And only when I'm leaving i feed him and walk away. But if he's good, i talk to him, hug him feed him right away, give him carrots and pamper him heaps. I think I'm gonna have to start finding different routs for home. But the thing is i used to keep my x horse at a place on the road he goes crazy down and i luv go down there and look into the paddock and dream of me riding her over the jumps. Only if i could take my mind off of Arnie. Thankyou for all your help you guys but I might have to advertise in the paper for someone to come down and assist me and teach me. Thankyou heaps I appretiate it. I'll reply soon and tell you how it went.

15. Mel

Mel New Member

Chin-up Arnie,
    Sounds like your horse is out-of-sorts to say the least. First things first if he has changed suddenly, look at his physical side. Have you had his back/teeth checked lately? It could be his way of telling you something is wrong with him physically. Most horses will become suddenly flighty and jumpy when they have a hurt somewhere.
    This would be my main priority for now to make sure hes ok, then you can say "well its not physical" and look at the other issues, have there been other people riding/touching/playing with him that may have upset him... etc....
    Most people will find with such a change that it is a physical problem and he has no other way of letting you know.
    Good Luck

Kalgirl

16. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

About 7 months ago i got his teeth done. I think that he's scared by the dogs, and so he starts going crazy which then causes more barking and all the horses to gallop around so down a little road there is 7 Barking dogs and 2-3 galloping horses. Not sure why he doesn't egnore it. I want to get him used to dogs but everytime I try he just beats them up. I've tried with food and holding him but he lunges at them. I think that one night when he was younger he must of been chased or something by one.

17. Nanny

Nanny New Member

Hi Arnie, well it sounds like you are at the end of your tether... with this problem. It sounds to me like your horse has been eating to much and not working enough. Horses were bred to work and not for just an hour a day, they could pulll a cart or carry a rider for many hours each day if treated well. so our little work out can just not be enough for some horses, so it is really important to balance the work load and the feed. I would advise that this horse should be just on hay at the moment and his weight and behavior monitored over the next 3 months.
    Horses learn by repetition so you are going the have to commit yourself to a long term project to try to fix this problem.
    You or the previous owner could have started this bad habit by simply having a nice canter on the way home, simple as that....your horse however thought that it was a terrific idea cause he got to go home quicker and see his friend and have a nice brush and some feed. Now when you wanted to make him walk home his got mad at you cause he thought he had a better idea..... he started taking control.. dangerous... big horse little person.... recipe for eventual disaster.
    YOu now have to change the way that this horse thinks. I would suggest that you should give this horse a good lunge, make him hot and sweaty and good 30-40 mins trot and canter then go out for a ride but only about 200-300meters then turn around and ride back to the arena and work the horse for anouther 20 mins at trot and canter then put him away.
    Repeat this process for many days in a row (7-10) each day increaseing the distance that you ride out. but always work him again when you get back home and always finish from the arena and not the ride out.
    To estimate the time required to fix this horse I would try to remember the first time that he was naughty and say it was 3 months ago then times that time by 4 and that should give you a realistic estimation of how long it should take.
    One golden rule though Never Never Never do anything but walk on the way home no matter how far away you go... one slip up could cost you the whole fixing process all over again. You will need time and patience. In one of your notices you said that you work the horse 6-7 days a week and in anouther notice you said 3-4 days a week. You need to be honest with yourself and with the horse for you to fix this problem... GOOD LUCK and most importantly stay safe don't do anything that you are not confident to do. bye for now

sunny

18. Em

Em Well-known Member

It sounds like some of the problems I was having with my horse, except with her she would just start pigrooting and bucking whenever I asked for anything - really puts you off riding. What we had was a problem of respect - ie should absolutely none for me!!! By doing ground work before I get on and putting her in second position I have a totally changed horse. It is actually quite amazing to see the difference, she actually likes me now and wants to be with me. What you need to do is using a rope halter and preferably at least a 12ft rope drive him away from to the left and to the right in circles, ask him to stop by driving his rump to the outside of the circle, drive him backwards and drive him forwards back to you and do this until he is doing this softly and obediently. Always remember to ask nicely first, if he doesn't listen be firmer, it he still doesn't listen start to lay down the law, if the still doesn't do it - MAKE HIM DO IT. When he starts carrying on out in the bush on the way home, simply get off, make sure you have a halter and rope with you and work him on the ground until you become his centre of focus and not home, then proceed to continue to QUIETLY walk home, the moment he loses his focus again and starts trying to walk all over you work home again - it won't take long to sink in. Then get back on and try and keep his focus. Also if you can beg, borrow, buy or steal a copy of Parelli's seven games I advise you do it.

Em

19. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

As I said again. All my horse gets is one bisket of hay in the morning and one at night. Nothing else because I do not have the money to even get Pony Cubes. He gets ridden 5-6 times a week, mostly only flat. I work him pretty hard and most times he's covered in sweat pretty bad i have to get a currey comb to help get it out the fur. When his old owners had him he was just a paddock horse. I think it was only 2 times they ever took him out. He was pretty quiet then. Then i got him and rode him and he got extreemly heathy.

20. BJ

BJ New Member

Sounds like you have a Very strong and stupid horse on your hands I wouldnt mind taking a guess that he doesnt lunge either about time to teach him if he doesn't ground manners in a human horse relationsdhip is vital to keep ahead of the horse at all time. If u dont know your horse on the ground U have no hope undersaddle................ Does he lunge?????? because lunging in a roundyard can be useful.Have you tryed the monty roberts method. In a herd situation there is one domonet mare her job is to disaplain the rest of the herd the stallion is only there to protect them, the mare pushes naughty young colts to the outside of the herd, for this is the worst place to be because they are vunrible to prey. try pushing him away in a round yard when he does something you dont like watch his face and when he starts lickin and chewing and his inside ear goes on you ask him to cone to you for this is a sign of serender......YEt never let him turn away from you he must be facing you at all times if he truns away chase him out onto the circle again and start the process again......... Try this method it really does work I swear my life on it if you dont have a round yard get a lunge rein and try it with that I garentee it shall work......... REMEMBER never give in to a horse always end them on a good note NEVER a BAD NOTE....... I hope that what I ahve tld you will help you with your horse, never give in to him ok.......BJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.