Results of Bach Flower Remadies for horses

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by lebonstern, Jan 19, 2014.

1. lebonstern

lebonstern New Member

Hi
    Just trying to find out some of the results people may have had with giving BACH FLOWER for horses.
    I have a gelding that can get stressed when he is working and it is like the whole world has turned upside down I have tried working him through his anxiety but this doesnt work he just gets into a mess and would rather just go hide in a hole. He has got much better with age and the more I throw at him the harder he works. He can be going perfect for 3 weeks, and I will be thinking yup he ready to go out and compete again and it will all fall in a hole because he seen something like a horse and cart . He hates the wheels turning..... but I might as well just get off and go home because he wont settle out of it then other days he will go out and clean up because when he keeps his mind he is unbeatable.
    He is an amazing horse to the point that I have trusted him with my son on top since he was 5 when he started riding him, my partner is currently learning to ride on him also. He isnt putting a foot wrong. And I know if I can get him over the anxiety of competing or stressing out we will be fine.
    I have been reading up about this remadie but cant seem to find any people that have directly used it.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. Satins mine

Satins mine New Member

Strange question I know but is it him or is it you who stresses out? If he is so good everywhere else maybe you are getting nervous and he is picking up on it. Anyway rescue remedy I have used and liked. Put some in his water bucket and some in a cup of water for you and see how you go.

3. Jacky Y

Jacky Y New Member

Stressy horses

Try putting him on a magnesium supplement like Thiomag. It is often a huge help.

4. lebonstern

lebonstern New Member

Thanks for your reply, I have thought about it being my stress levels also but my other 2 dont have an issue. His knickers can go up his bum at home also and I can tell in his mood even before I get him out of his yard.If he in a mood or im not in right mood I dont bother riding its not worth it. Unfortunatly his line of breeding is impecable but hard to work with for this reading up and he has most of his fayhers good traits and we have worked through most of the bad this is just the last one and I have a winner.

5. lebonstern

lebonstern New Member

I will look into that also I have heard it can work with some horses.

6. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-known Member

I have a book called healthy horse the natural way. Full of natural remedies, homoeopathy, Aromatherapy, massage techniques and other stuff.

I would have to read through it to give you an idea what maybe used or you could go down to your book store and grab a copy.

Its by Cathrine Bird

Edit: just went into the back of the book and they say these may help with anxiety

aspen
    bergamont
    cederwood
    frankincence
    lemon balm
    mag phos
    mimulus
    motherwort

Now motherworth is a dry leaf and should be given 1 cupful daily. But best start off with half and wean into it.
    Lemon balm is the same, its served as a dry leaf. Suggested dose is 1 cup twice daily for up to a month after symptoms are no longer present.

those two are herbs the others are oils and other stuff but these two are just herbs.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. serendipity

serendipity Well-known Member

Silly question but have you done a lot of desensitisation work with him?

8. RVP Horses

RVP Horses Well-known Member

Your on the right path Serendipity. Ground work and desensitisation could easily fix the problem without the need for herbs but it would take a few weeks of work to fix which is harder than feeding a herb or supplement.

9. needanswers

needanswers Well-known Member

I used to give both myself and my horse some rescue remedy before we competed. Seemed to help (could be just in the mind and that's AOK with me!).

10. barragirl

barragirl Active Member

The lovely Laura Bird recommended to me Aspen and Mimulus Bach Flower remedies for a horse with anxiety issues. One is for the fear of the know and one fear of the unknown. Worked a treat with a mare of mine that had major anxiety issues after weaning her foal

11. Indigo King

Indigo King New Member

Yorkie - Does it say how much to feed of the Aspen per day?