Renting a horse property

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Jayde, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Jayde

Jayde New Member

I've had horses for the past 8 years but have always agisted. I've decided to take the leap and rent a property with my partner, 2 horses (possibly more) and our dog.

The property I'm looking at is about 5 acres. I've been doing research on maintaining grass, horse feeds, bore water, etc etc.

If anybody has any advice for me in regards to anything involving horses and maintaining a property, questions to ask realtor in regards to renting/maintenance, etc please let me know!

The horses are both standardbreds aged 12 and 18, used for pleasure riding and jumping. Will be in paddocks during the day and stables at night. Previous feeds at agisters have been pellets, chaff/Lucerne, and hay twice a day - is this suitable?

2. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hi Jayde,

Having owned a 5 acre horse property for a long time I would personally stick with agisting. The additional time and expenses of maintaining a horse property just isn't justified in a rental situation! If you are really serious about your horses I would be working towards purchasing my own. (y)

Life can change very quickly when children arrive on the scene or your work dries up.