registered but not branded???

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Ali, May 31, 2014.

1. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Ok, quick question for you breeders out there. A friend of mine is looking at possibly purchasing a young welsh pony ( weanling) and when she spoke to the lady who has it and bred it the lady states that the pony is registered yet he isn't branded and the lady has basically told my friend the pony is ready to go to a new owner now. So my question is, how can he be fully registered if he is a clean skin? I thought most breeders brand then register?? Also I'm pretty sure that SA is same as WA and stock has to be branded before leaving the property.
    My friend is keen on this pony but maybe Im just abit more wary cos to me it doesn't seem right. Also the lady told my friend the sire is pali but after she looked up its name its listed as chestnut!

2. With AQHA you don't have to brand a horse to get it registered. I have absolutely no idea with welshies.
    There are breeders ( like ourselves) who sell their stock branded, DNAed and registered ( huge savings for a buyer) and there are other breeders.
    It is up to a buyer to make a choice, you can't force a sale.
    Mind you, I bought heaps of mares from overeast and they were not branded. We branded them with our brand at our cost upon arrival.

3. Remaani

Remaani Guest

With the Welshies, i've Reg them before i branded as i don't usually brand till after weaning but i prefer (normally i reg them at a couple of mths old although my 2013 Pt Bred still isn't Reg, but he's branded), however they are branded before they leave for new homes.
    Though if the pony is Reg & paperwork states the brand, it SHOULD be branded before it moves off the property, breeder responsibility IMO.
    With the Mini's, some i haven't branded just Microchipped however with NMR (National Mini Registry), if branded, their Rego photo must show a clear brand when reg. With AHSA (Arabian Society), we just do the same as WP&CS (Welsh society), write the brand on the Rego forms, even if not branded at the time.
    Just don't stuff up the drop number LOL as if you do, you'll have to follow thru when branding! :p

4. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

OK thanks for that info. I just thought it strange that she has said he isn't branded.

5. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

We've always registered ours as foals and on the paperwork put that they are branded, but we dont actually brand them until they are yearlings. (That way the brand stays nice and small). Common as mud. If they sell before they are yearlings I just get them done before they go off to their new home.

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Welsh ponies can be looked up on the Welsh Pony Stud Book or APSB Studbook. That would show if the pony is registered (branded, or not).
    If the breeder is saying it's registered and it's not on those online studbooks, move on to another pony **)

7. Remaani

Remaani Guest

8. sil

sil Gold Member

We don't brand ours, we chip. We don't need a brand to register our stock, so prefer not to blemish them.

9. I don't agree with brand being called a blemish. ';'
    A good clean brand is the best way of visual identification.
    In my opinion a breeder should have a registered brand and should brand their stock with it. So people could tell straight away where an animal came from.:)

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

A brand is definitely a skin blemish :) It reacts with the skin and creates scarring. Sadly, scarring is considered a blemish in any form.

I think when a breeder is getting things right, people can tell whose stock it is :) Definitely with Sil's youngstock!! Even with the numbers in say, TB's, you can see family traits :) Coliban remember a few months back when I messaged you about one of your youngsters that a friend of mine has? Not branded, but it was still identifiable as tracing back to your stock (though one generation removed).

11. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

She has decided to give it a miss as (like I thought) things just didn't add up with what the woman was telling her. The pony's situated 3hrs drive away so its not like she could just pop by and view it either. Anyway, I asked my friend to ask the owner what the mares registered name was....owner said she couldn't remember?? Then when I told her to contact her again and ask for the mare's brand so we could do a search the owner then told her the mare was in full winter coat and the brands couldn't be seen and that she thought she only had brands on one shoulder anyway?? Needless to say it all smelt a bit 'fishy' to us so she is giving it a miss. Personally I think she's possibly just dodged a bullet if you know what I mean!!??

12. It was a smart decision.:)
    Branded horses are easy to identify if their parentage is in question/unknown or in case of a theft.

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

I agree, however i have microchipped prob 4 of the foals i have bred, i prefer a more visual form of ID.
    And Karl does a neat & tidy freeze brand too. :)

14. I wouldn't microchip for the same reason:) not many vets or police men have scanners on hand. Karl does a great job with teeth and freeze branding:)

15. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Even less Vets and I'd say no police officers would be able to identify a brand ;) Yes, Vets can describe them and read them, but I'm sure all Vets have scanners these days. Even our local Ranger has them in her car :) Starting price of $200 means they're affordable to every horse owner and society, and of course, very portable :)

I got very interested in doing the course in Victoria (1 day course!) so that I can do my own, as I'd read most US studs do.