Referencing/essay help PLEASE??

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by whitepantheress, Aug 18, 2011.

1. whitepantheress

whitepantheress Well-known Member

So, referencing: I read an article and get a quote/concept I wish to use and it is referenced in said article. Do I reference the reference or reference the article?

The referencing system is Harvard Gatton if that makes a difference. Yes, UQ Gatton has its' own referencing style... >.<

2. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

We're always told to use original source, I'd reference the reference

3. whitepantheress

Even if I don't have or haven't read the original source? (Not arguing, just putting my thoughts out there to try and work it out :) )

4. whitepantheress

And huge thanks for super fast response :)

5. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

Hope this helps :)

Occasionally, you may have to use a source that has been referenced in another source. If you can, try to find the original source and use that. If you cannot obtain this source, then you need to use a two-stage referencing system. For example,

(Sorgheloos, 1967, as cited in Sargeant, 2008)

Read more: In Text Citation - References in Research Papers

6. whitepantheress

ahhhhh, thanks!

7. Jez

Jez Gold Member

What Izzy said. Or..check UQs website for its policy on plagiarism and im pretty sure you will find correct/prefered referencing document somewhere.

8. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Active Member

oh how i hate referancing! pretty sure ill get kicked out of uni for plagiarism soon for not referancing properly.
    on our uni website it has the handbook for the referancing style up there, but we dont use harvard. there must be a handbook for harvard outlining how to referance things like this.

9. whitepantheress

Yep, got the guide printed off now :)

Thanks guys :)

10. WheatbeltNic

WheatbeltNic Active Member

Thankfully for me, my uni like the chicago style of referencing... much easier and straightforward. :)

11. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

I'm teaching my Year 7 class how to reference according to ECU guidelines (mostly because it's the Uni I went through) so that hopefully when/if they get to Uni it won't be such a big deal!

Referencing isn't all that difficult once you know how to do it and know where to find the guidelines. **)

12. whitepantheress

Thanks, the assignment went in on time, I think correctly referenced and hopefully done ok....

13. multa

multa New Member

you can get referencing/essay help easily . so follow the instruction of essay . if you wanna write an good essay you should take help from who is the best and well written essays. at first i didn't know how to write an essay but now it is an easy task for me to write it because i get help a essay writing company that named best write my essay gre and i can build myself. now it is your turn