Recurrent Laryngeal Neuropathy - Roarers

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by mysticmoondancer04, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Hehe!! Nope.... he never will, lol!!:) :)* :))

Love his new name though :)

Have PM'd you mate**)

2. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

It wasnt our first pick but oh well we like it anyway lol

3. beaudacious

beaudacious Well-known Member

funny, my horse does the exact same thing when he drinks. i always though it was just my imagination but my horse was a "confirmed bleeder" when he raced so i guess it could be that... might get my vet to check it out next time he's out **)

4. crave

crave Well-known Member

Please dont take offence, but did you buy him knowing he had this problem and if you did why if you are unsure of what to do with him? Not meant to make you cross, just interested.

5. miss_skoobz

miss_skoobz Well-known Member

Aww hes is gorgeous as ever! He was definitely a fav at that place. He's such a cutie, I'm glad you got him, you sound lovely :):) I'll let my mate know :) She's a HUGE fan lol

6. mysticmoondancer04

Hey skoobs, thanks heaps, i can see why everyone loved him...and crave ..no offence taken, I bought him for the purpose of breaking him in, showing him and maybe breeding later on if seen fit. I am just after different ppl's opinions from vets to ppl with experience with this condition as i myself dont know much about it. I may not breed from him yet (across my arab and welsh mares)but I am just looking at all my options. I bought him after talking to vets (assuring me it was fine) to have to possibility of breeding from him, if this is not the case he will be gelded and used as a hack, as i dont think he could race or event due to the condition and I dont feel he should have the operation as if it is unsuccessful (which is a possibility) it puts him through unnecessary stress and prone to infections etc...

7. crave

crave Well-known Member

Thanks for the reply, he's a lovely little man and I hope things work out for the both of you.

8. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

I have a grade 5 roarer whom no one would pick for a roarer makes no noise at all. Only reason we found out was becuase he to has water run out of his nostrils when drinking, and he can get very ill very quickly. One side of his throat is paralized in the tie back position other side works fine. Due to his immune system being compromised by his throat he has weekly immune boosting injection.

Roarer'ing hardly comes into effect in a pleasure/hack horse. Maybe in the extended canter or hand gallop in the hack ring perhaps. And I know of grade 3 and and grade 5 roarer doing eventing. with and without the operation. Its totally up to the horse. I know of one who was a stocking roarer sounds like the owner is riding a freight train in the canter.

As for breeding I dont know enough but it does follow certain lines. I know I would steer clear personally even if it was just for a hack incase it increased my horses chase of getting sick like ours can

9. mysticmoondancer04

Thanks heaps crave, appreciate it, and shio, I understand where you are coming from, grade 5 is the most severe isnt it? I havent heard my boy roar ever either and he runs and plays all day and we lunge him as well but yeah, havent heard a peep out of him, has a bit of a sqeaky neight lol but thats about it, never seen water coming out his nose either. All of your opinions are greatly appreciated and this is why I asked, to get as many opinions as possible as to make the best decision I can... A huge thank you to all **)

10. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

Haha I thought it looked like him! Glad he has a home.