Recurrent Laryngeal Neuropathy - Roarers

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by mysticmoondancer04, Oct 8, 2008.

1. mysticmoondancer04

mysticmoondancer04 Well-known Member

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice on roarers. I have purchased (after talking to 2 vets) a Thoroughbred colt by Dubleo (USA) from Little Shoes (AUS) and he is meant to be a roarer. ( He was diagnosed at MM sales) His family is apparently really well bred (dad G2 and listed winner in USA) and mum was a G2 and listed winner in the eastern states with 3 foals to race for 3 winners (all in the eastern states). Being a roarer (as I dont know anything about them) I have been told I prob cant race him but he may be okay for breeding.... The vet's have both told me he should be okay for breeding as it hasnt proven to be hereditary...I was thinking of breeding him with arab mares but maybe thoroughbreds as well? ...What is everyone's opinion on this? Attached is a pic of when I first bought him... sorry files to large so will add more tomorrow from another computer...

2. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

Sorry dont know a huge amount, but they can be operated on, (off topic slightly, it stops them neighing also :p ). Dont know the success rates though.

Rather nice looking boy, too! **)

3. mysticmoondancer04

Thanks :) We like him to and has the sweetest temperament... Yeah but the vet advised that if we dont want to race him (we prob wont) to just leave him as they are prone to infections as the tie back doesnt stop anything from getting in... as the operations arnt always successful...

4. KINGSBONES

KINGSBONES Active Member

have to agree with mysticmoondancer i have a horse who had the operation and never raced again and shortly after got a sever respiratory infection hence why i got him. Doesnt really affect him though just cant do things like 3 day eventing which is ok cause dont want to do that anyway. He looks nice though should be good to breed from:)* :)*

5. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out that it may or may not be hereditary. Especially as some breeds are more prone to it then others.

If it where me, i would look into it as much as i could before thinking about breeding from this boy, when there is already so many horses and not enough homes. For me (which i don't breed) a stallion needs to be the best of the best to warrant him keeping his balls!

He looks lovely.:)

6. pso

pso Gold Member

Ditto sambo..

unless you can PROVE it isnt hereditary, is it worth the risk?

I know of a stallion who produces about 60% roarers...;)

7. kp

kp Well-known Member

There is no way known I would ever breed to or from a proven roarer. There seems to be certain sire lines that throw a high percentage of these horses. Just not worth the risk in my opinion. Tie back ops can be very successful. Why have you not thought about gelding and getting done and trying him as a race horse if he is so well bred? May be worth your while.

8. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Did you buy him with the purpose of breeding him? You said that you spoke to vets before purchase so that you knew you couldn't race him so just wondering why you still got him?
    What is his overall confo like? There are heaps of well bred proven (both in performance and progeny) TB stallions out there already so is it worth it keeping him a stallion with a problem?

9. Talkingshell

Talkingshell Well-known Member

My old fella had his roarer operated on and it was successful. Unfortunately he was just too slow to run!

The only thing that has a bit of problem is when he drinks, the water he drinks tends to run though his nostrils. Nothing is effecting or pose a problem for him! A lot of people thought he has colds but it's not...

10. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Lookin' good 'lil shoes pony**)

Hereditary in TB's apparently not such an issue cross breeding with arabs.....:confused:

-this according to two vets we asked... (for a friend who was taking a certain TB yearling to breed with arabs, lol!:p ;) )

@) Mate

:)) S

11. mysticmoondancer04

lol still is pretty pony like :p he hasnt grown alot, will maybe make 15 hh, yeah still sussing what we are gonna do with him. Such a lovely boy. Taken him to 2 shows and he has come back with champion and reserve and he is well put together, both judges think he is worth breeding from as he isnt to big and had a nice temperament and had the good conformation. They did say they wouldnt breed him to TB mares though as the risk of getting a roarer is higher but maybe with breeds such as arab and welsh he would be okay (breeding smaller sport ponies also)... They also mentioned there was very few TB stallions for breeding hacks around :S not sure. Was going to break him in first and see what he is capable of then decide what to do.

12. miss_skoobz

miss_skoobz Well-known Member

OMG!! This is the colt that my friend wanted but ,he was sold !!!!!!! He was her favourite!!!
    If I pm you, could she contact you, to see how hes going etc??

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  13. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

You beat me to it Skoobs:)*

Hi E@)

So happy for him.... and you**)

Happy for ST too.... she'd be so chuffed he's a happy Vegemite:p

He has a lovely temperament, should be a sweet breaker**)

:)) S

14. mysticmoondancer04

Hey Tain, could you PM me and let me know who ya are... lol I think I know but not 100% sure and absolutely skoobs... that would be fine.
    As he is only a 2 year old we still letting him grow up and will break him in next year hopefully. See how he goes, but he is just so easy to get along with... living with our welsh gelding atm and another tb gelding... lol they run and play all day, funny to watch :p

15. intendeli

intendeli Well-known Member

little shoes!!!!

he was such a cutie pie -- what a gorgeous picture of him!

glad to hear he is doing well :) do you have any pictures of him from the shows?

16. mysticmoondancer04

lol all these ppl who know him!!! lol yeah ill try upload some as they are a little big i think... give me a few mins

17. Rachael and BErry

Rachael and BErry New Member

aww little shoes. He is such a cutie.

18. mysticmoondancer04

here are a few pics of him... show, winter with his buddy and couple others... If anyone wanted to know he is now known as Freddie and his Registered name is Hill Top Romance:p

19. intendeli

intendeli Well-known Member

he looks fabulous! i love the winter shot!!

and hill top romance -- what a gorgeous name.

freddie is cute too -- but he will always be little shoes to me :)

20. mysticmoondancer04

lol...little shoes...poor boy never going to shake that name... :p