"Recovery" after branding

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by amandasmith, Jan 25, 2011.

1. amandasmith

amandasmith Well-known Member

I've booked my boy in to be branded on Friday (almost 6 months old). He will be freeze branded.

Firstly, how long will it take until he is back to normal (ie it doesn't hurt him, you can wash that area with shampoo)?

How exactly do they do it - not the actual branding, but how do you make sure they don't move? Surely its got to hurt like hell so I would assume as soon as it touches them they would jump (even if being restrained in some way). After the first shoulder wouldn't they be really scared when you go to do the other side (I know I would if it was me)? Do they sedate them at all (are they even allowed to sedate them anymore if they're not a vet)?

I know all my questions will be answered on Friday but I am feeling like a big fat meanie at the moment. At least he forgave me for having his "bits" chopped off (but then again I wasn't actually "there" for that procedure).

2. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I had my little grey pony freeze branded last year.

By the next day we could do pretty much what we wanted with him however I did have to change the saddle pad we were using as the old one was a little hard and was rubbing on the brand.

My lad being a grey was going to be held on for long so I had him sedated by the vet who did the branding.

They are usually restrained by two people. I saw several being done and non of them seemed worse for the second brand.

3. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

first dont stress! its actually over and done with really really quickly and i don't think it hurts much during the actual branding more it stings after. i have never had to do more than put pony in a corner up against a fence and then it was over and done! never had a problem doing the other side either and Ive had two greys done and the brand needs to stay on much longer with them! as to after care within a couple of days just try and forget its there! ive hosed and washed without a problem.

4. beau

beau Well-known Member

We have ours done in the stables, sometimes we have lightly sedated but try not too. Usually one person holding foal up against the wall, whilst should is clipped and then we normally have someone just near the rump to make sure they dont swing.

Its all over and done with in a matter of seconds, the guys we have is excellent and very quick and precises with as little stress to baby.

Never had a prob with recovery as with our guys as we freeze brand, the one rescue I had that was hot branded (back yard job) took months before his healed but as I said it was a terrible job.

Good luck :):)

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

amandasmith- relax ...breath ..its not that bad lol ! it will all be over & done with before you it **)
    as Beau said...but I wouldn't interfere with the 'branded area' until the scabs fall off.
    Cheers
    Lee

6. amandasmith

Thanks guys. I know I am a bit of worry wart but I can't help it - he's my little man.

7. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

As Sarina said when I asked this question "she will hate you forever". LOL.

Poppy was done on Friday morning. Twitched, she didn't flinch. She found the smoke that came off the dry ice very interesting snort provoking. LOL. We just told her we were going to bring in the disco ball and all would be good.

Took two seconds and she didn't even worry about it. So don't worry, it will all be happy days.:D

8. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

I agree don't stress. I freeze brand all mine and it's not so bad
    If Karl Buckley is doing it you'll have no problems.
    I normally side them up to a wall or fence, Karl usually just twitches mine, but last time he gave them a sedative as it was really windy and the boys were a bit "fresh" so he wanted to make sure they stayed calm.
    Only on for 15 seconds. Scabs up in a week and after about 3 weeks you'll see the brand coming thru.

ETA Practice the shoulder clip out too so it's even less stressful for your lil fella. You can wash it but leave the scab to fall off by itself. Also it's normal for the brand to look raised a couple hrs after the branding, it will go down.

9. 7notHeaven

7notHeaven Active Member

Karl did 4 of mine last year some time and i was slightly stressed aswell at the thought of it!:eek:

But I practiced their shoulder clipping (with an electric toothbrush:p) and found 3 out of my 4 just stood there and only the big boy who is really very feral needed a twitch. You could see when it started to sting, their eyes got a bit wider but by then it was nearly done.

It literally takes seconds and not one of mine showed any discomfort afterwards.**) It is on the same level as going and getting a wart burt off at the doctors I think:D.

10. amandasmith

Well Zac was a good little boy - you could definitely tell the moment it started to sting a bit, he tensed up but stayed still. He didn't even seem to hate me afterwards (he was still following me around the paddock). He is such a little superstar. Although he has decided he wants a breast enlargement - he got a fright yesterday and ran into the gate so has a nice swollen chest at the moment.

11. Taryn

Taryn Well-known Member

Silly lil man running into the gate.
    See now his branding wasn't so scary after all now was it? Good on ya

12. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

ROFL, wish I had seen this thread earlier :D The comment "she will hate you forever" was made to Marianne very tongue in cheek given the questions she was asking me :p

It actually doesn't hurt much at all... if you have ever had dry ice put on your skin to remove a wart or coz you spilt it in chemistry it is just like that :p If he tensed it is more because he didn't know what was going on ;)