Recommended Insurance

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by supersezabell, Oct 17, 2008.

1. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Hi All,

I was just wondering who you guys recommend for insuring your horses etc, i got a quote from petplan, was happy with them but had an issue getting the insurance online so contacted them regarding it but no response.

So was wondering if it was worth still bothering with them or should i go elsewhere? I want them to be covered for basically everything lol.

Thanks.

2. astraia

astraia Guest

I have my horse insured with Petplan (for the simple reason of having the option to do colic surgery if, god for bid, it was ever needed). I have never had to make a claim so can't tell you about that aspect but I have found them easy to deal with so far.
    I have many clients with cats and dogs who are with Petplan and they have been overall quite happy dealing with them and getting their money back for vet bills.

3. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

Dudley is insured with Brooks Inglis which is part of William Inglis & Son Bloodstock

My initial dealing with Petplan was great - couldnt have been happier

UNTIL they advised me after 6 months they had not received payment and had therefore not accepted my policy :mad: :mad: Problem being when I had filled in all my forms I had included direct debit information as requested but a change in THEIR staff had neglected to process it...... needless to say I was furious that such an expensive pony had been left uninsured - heard some stories too which reinforce they have a terrible track record with maintaining paperwork (and that is a big factor when it comes to insurance) On a few occasions from different people being paid out when horses have been PTS and demands for payment coming in the mail for policy renewals :( I find that pretty poor when people were grieving over the loss of their horse

Great dealings with Brooks Inglis though and they know horses **) **)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. Que Sera Sera

Que Sera Sera Well-known Member

Is Dud's covered for loss of use? I rang Brook's and they said it wasnt part of their standard policy and that if I wanted it, it would be quite expensive.

Tell me its not so Oldhack cause I dont want to use Petplan, but I would like loss of use.

5. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

I was frustrated with them (Petplan).. i wanted a quote and i never heard back from them, so i thought bugger them. Im with elders, like i said in the other thread. But i had initially wanted a quote from Petplan cause i heard good things about them.

6. supersezabell

supersezabell Well-known Member

Thanks guys might look into elders...do they do all animals though? Petplan was going to be good cos i could insure my 3 horses, cat and dog with them. I think i did contact the william inglis one but they recommended i go to petplan cos they dont cover loss of use just death and similar.

7. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

That's wierd you had problems with getting through to them - I just called them, was on hold for about 5seconds, then was put through to a very helpful/nice lady who realy knew her stuff.
    Maybe call now?
    I only got off the phone to her about 10mins ago

8. Oldhack77

Oldhack77 Gold Member

My broker worked me a good deal, loss of use is more expensive. The whole premium was substantially more than Petplan anyway. So it came down to I would have loved Petplans rates but wouldnt take the risk of them leaving him uninsured again due to laziness and clerical malfunctions on their part ;)

9. hutchi

hutchi Well-known Member

Does anyone know if you can upgrade at any time?
    For eg. if I say he is doing Show Jumping, in a few months can I change it to Show Jumping and Eventing? As I'm not sure when we will be starting eventing.

10. RPS

RPS Well-known Member

I have 3 insured with Petplan, organised it all online with no hassles. All the paperwork came out correct and the direct debit comes out same date every month.

They are the only ones who cover up to $10,000 for vet bills. We hunted for weeks for another insurer to do the same vet cover but no-one does it.

11. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

I have venus insured for petplan. I have the payout for death and the vet bills up to 10,000 but didn't bother with the loss of use. They were very helpful to deal with and everything was processed quickly!