Recommended Body Protectors?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Safety' started by painter, Feb 21, 2013.

1. painter

painter Well-known Member

Can anyone recommend brands/models of Body Protectors, specifically for kids and teens that are comfortable, not too hot in summer and have a really good safety rating, suitable for general pony club, jumping and low level eventing.

I'm not sure that the brands in horse shops fit the description, so if anyone can also recommend online suppliers (especially if they do discounts for a bulk order from clubs;) that would be great.

2. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

Pm'ed you painter.

3. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

The highest safety rating for a body protector is BETA level 3.

I know Charles Owen, Dublin and Kan Teq do them. I am not sure on the cost though.
    Out of the 3, I would imagine that the Dublin ones would be cheaper and you can get them from Horseland.

4. CLP

CLP New Member

I have an Airowear Outlyne which is great! Good balance of feeling comfortable yet secure. BETA 3

Come in adults, teen and kid sizes also with different lengths available too. I got mine in custom colours which costs a little bit extra. Sizing was fairly generous when making a choice based on the size charts - I could probably do with a size smaller.

Not the lighest body protector out there but I don't notice when I'm wearing it.

Think one of the shops in WA sells them and also a few UK online shops too.

5. painter

painter Well-known Member

Thanks, I will check out those brands. I've also come across the FlexAir and Harry Hall Hi-Flex if anyone has any experience with them?

I have actually asked somewhere else and have been really surprised (shocked would be better actually) about how many people don't seem to care about getting a body protector with the highest safety rating, and are actually happy jumping and eventing in protectors suitable for only low risk activities.

I know its each to his own etc, but this is for kids where IMO if you are going to bother getting one, the highest safety rating is important';'

Just an FYI for anyone searching this in future, the highest safety rating at the moment is BETA Level 3 Standard: EN13158 with the purple tag which is meets both British AND European standards. This provides a level of protection that is considered appropriate for normal horse riding, competitions and for working with horses.

Next is the Level 2: Brown 2009 which provides a lower than normal level of protection that is only considered appropriate for use in low risk situations.

The lowest is Level 1: Black 2009 which provides a lower level of protection that is only considered appropriate for licensed jockeys.

I was quite shocked to see that some popular ones sold in horse shops (some for hefty prices) are only SATRA approved which is testing more related to the quality of the materials not fading or breaking under normal use conditions rather than an actual saftey standards rating';'

6. BitBankAustralia

BitBankAustralia Well-known Member

Yup- you're onto it Painter, and a subject that is a bit of a "thing" for me too. Astonishes me that people will still buy the lightweight SATR racing vests for more $$ than a BETA 3 because it's more comfy. Are you buying comfort or safety??

Personally, I ride in a Champion FlexAir. Love it. Thicker than some, but very flexible and molds to your body shape quickly. I fell off on Monday and hit a log- ribs under the vest: great, not sore at all, no bruising. Backside where the vest ends: a spectacular purple!! Big thumbs up from me!:)*

7. cupcake

cupcake Well-known Member

I really dont feel safe in the lower rated ones like the tipanary ones, and I really dont think they would do much if you came off.

however, mines been tried and tested...

[​IMG]

Didnt feel a thing...

I dont know what brand it is, and I know I paid a few hundred bucks for it and its deffinatly a level three.

My biggest tip though when buying a body protector, make sure its not too long in the back. THats the only problem I have with mine. Fine with my jump saddle, but if i wear it in my dressage saddle the back of the body protector bangs on the back of the saddle, wich is very frustrating.

8. NaeNae87

NaeNae87 Well-known Member

I remember that fall :)

Peel ODE.... Oh the memories!

Me on super strong pain killers, Tom not liking cheering and applause.

haha Glad you weren't hurt!

9. MAC1992

MAC1992 New Member

I previously had a Dublin level 3 vest and I could barely ride. It was safer to not wear it, the protective materials used were very stiff and constricting. That's just my opinion on them though. Good luck. :D