Reccomend a mop!!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Beauvelour, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Beauvelour

Beauvelour Well-known Member

Agggh I have had enough!!! We have gray tiles that dont have a shine finish (sorry not sure what sort they are) They are great because they dont show the dirt, but i am struggling to find a mop that works! They are the sort that in the light you can see all the foot prints on them. I have a hoover steam mop and that sux, doesnt even clean spills off properly!! I used to use one of those squeezy sponge ones at least with those ones i feel i can "scrub" my floor! And i had one of those ones that looks like an enjo one from bunnings but that was just like you threw a bucket of water over the tiles...... help ';'

2. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Tuning into this thread, we've got a Vileda mop and not too impressed with it, wayyyy too light.

3. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I've got the Hoover steam mop too and I'm not happy with it. It's less hassle dragging a regular mop and a bucket of water around. I'm thinking of changing back to a good old sponge mop.

4. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

You really need to find that type that is attached to a third person....they are the BEST.

:D

5. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

I have a bissel steam mop.

It makes heaps of steam but the problem is it leaves the floors very wet so I have to scate along on an old towel to mop up the excess water. That works really well cos the dirt lifts with the water and cleans up really well but it is a pain in the behind

6. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

I still have a steam mop in the shed (been used about 10 times cause I wasnt happy with it lol) I use the plain squeeze type mop from Coles/Woolies, you know the one that you push the handle down and it squeezes out the excess water ;) It works best when attached to my hubby's arm though *#)

7. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

I have been using my broom with an old towel tied to it as a mop. I use boiling water and scrub away. I think the cleaner is the best idea.

8. fuddles

fuddles Well-known Member

our mums and grandmothers really knew how to clean floors

one bucket of very hot sudsy water
    a pair of rubber gloves
    a scrubbing brush
    down on the knees and lots of elbow grease
    rags to dry the floor
    and newspapers down on top, as a the walkway to keep footprints off floor plus the dreaded wooden spoon to smack kids for leaving their grubby foot prints on the clean floor.

9. Sov21

Sov21 Active Member

had this problem too and after some advice from a professional cleaner I had the answer: I used way too much detergent ';'

So from then on, I vacuumed first to get rid of the dust and then went over the tiles with steaming hot clear water -> CLEAN and no footprints... :)*

Might be worth a try before you spend a fortune on a mop!!

10. PetaBizz

PetaBizz Well-known Member

Vinegar might be the answer for you?? I like bleach with everything.. then I know its clean but vinegar does the same job

11. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

ENJO!! without a doubt the very best! (no I don't work for them lol!) **)

Sure it is expensive but I have had my mop and fibres for 15 years, have replaced one fibre in that time. Could do with replacing the fibre again and will do soon. As for the hardware ie the mop head and handle well that ought to last a lifetime!! :D

Money very well spent IMO, and same old same old YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR LOL!!;)

I used to have the shiniest tiles in my old house and it worked beaut and even now on my crappy cheap terra-cotta ones in this place that the previous cheapskate owner put in...*#)

I've tried all the other types steam, sponge, string they all suck lol ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  12. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

OMG we have the same sort of tiles and they drive me insane :(

I hate them!

They are a dark grey with a matte finish and soooo hard to keep clean....kinda like my black car! LOL*#)

I just use hot water and a little dash of tile cleaner and white vinegar and mop with an old fasion string mop, have tried the steam mop and sponge type ones and they all leave so many marks.

Good luck! :))

13. princeton

princeton Well-known Member

Does it work on tiles with a matte surface though? ';'
    Ours dont ever go shinney as they arent meant to. (boohoo!!)

14. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

Hey Beau :)

I'm wondering if the mop isn't really the problem?

Have you tried 'Long Life Self Shining Floor Polish'? Use On: Lino, vinyl, plastic, rubber, sealed wood and sealed cork. (Make sure you get the right one)

Sweep/vacuum the floor first then use as directed - long, straight strokes of the mop!

I used to use it on our lino floors and now use it on our lovely vinyl tiles and and my daughter was quite impressed and began using it on her floors.

:))

PS - I have an Enjo Mop (I used the blue 'Fussy Floor Fibre') - I have a very large area to mop and it drove me insane having to take it off and rinse it after ever 4-5 strokes, put it back on to be able to continue (velcro, so easy enough) - but sooooo time consuming! ';'

15. Faxie

Faxie Well-known Member

Yup they have different fibre types for different floor finishes..**) I also have the dust one it's awesome as well!! Just a bit passionate about my Enjo hehe:p

Using the floor wash products actually atttracts the dirt and makes the floors dirtier and stickier! Especially the grout. And mops like the string ones just tend to push the dirt around. Far better to just use vinegar or metho.. I just used metho with my sponge mop before I got Enjo. But of course with Enjo you just use water - easy peasy!

Catch is you do need to wash the fibres after use, but I use it through my whole house so just tend to leave dirty fibres in a bucket soaking until I have a few that need to be washed so I just do the lot on their own or with horse towels or whatever..

16. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

i love the old fashion string mop with a proper mop bucket. try using methylated spirit (i think it's along the same lines as the vinegar) I wet mop and then dry mop over the top. So make your mop fairly wet and mop the floor and then squeeze your mop out as best you can and go back over the top to collect excess water and dirt.

Oh and when you work out what is best to use, let us know =)

17. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

I have three...

Normal sponge one...now in full time retirement
    A microfibre glider one-not too bad, pain in the butt squishing water out of.

A microfibre one(like the old "haired"ones. with a scourer on the bottom...Its fantastic!

I want one of the steam mops though,

18. Teal

Teal Well-known Member

I find the best way is to (not that I do this regularly mind you...I tend to just put shoes on when my floor is dirty!) vacuum first, then mop (just use a normal string mop) with boiling hot water, leave to dry then steam mop.

19. Animosity

Animosity Well-known Member

Id most probably agree with the too much detergent/cleaner.. Im a bit culprit of that because i like the smell!

And super duper hot water so it evaporates nice and quick ;) my mum also walks with an old towel under her feet for half an hour afterwards, i spose so it doesnt leave footprints when its drying, and also helps dry it! you can also see if you have done a good job or not too haha!

20. izzy2512

izzy2512 Gold Member

I mop our tiles with just vinegar and hot water and your normal coles mop, works well :)*