Rearing!!

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Ebza, May 19, 2008.

1. SMP

SMP New Member

Hi there
    If it was me i would start training from the ground. Maybe when your friends are riding have her next to you with a anti rear bit on attached to her halter. If she goes up you give a tug on the bit. You just have to be careful because you can break there jaw if you use too much force. Another thing you can do when your on the ground is have a dressage whip with you as soon as her legs go to leave the ground you give them a decent tap. When your riding the best thing you can do is keep pushing your horse forward. They need to stop to rear. The less time they have to think about it the better.

2. CharlieChick

CharlieChick Active Member

hay ebz i remeber that when u where filming me and mel jumping u even got on video, it was well scary i thought u got smushed:confused:

3. theponyandthegoat

theponyandthegoat New Member

i use to have an arab stockhorse gelding who did alot similar he hated jumping,water,flagging........ as being my first horse he taught me alot.... he started rearing very small and eventually almost verticle........ luckily i had a very handy horsewoman helping me and we tryed everything but the rearing was his evasion, so eventually we started pushing him forwards with a little whip on the shoulder and he stopped rearing over jumps and started cat leaping ARGGH after a while he got a perfect little jumper, and when he did refuse a jump called my chiro and got him cracked back in and heya presto perfect pony again.. with the water situation he ended up flipping over on top of my friend so i started just leading him in the water and jumping on in a headcollar... and we ended up swimming.......

after all of that i am goin to tell u that i had a very wise lady make a contraction that went over his head and clipped onto a set of rings restricting his throwing of the head best piece and most valuable peice of elastic i have had.....

it is all just repetion and trust between both rider and horse
    well thats my 10 Cents Worth

4. jonty

jonty Well-known Member

A newspaper rolled up over the ear will fix this problem, as they are on the way up....! Has always worked for me when I have had to fix this problem!

It is usually a evasion to going forward or doing what you ask of them!

5. Clerrt

Clerrt Well-known Member

Its best to get a professional to asses your situation. Rearing can develop into an extremely dangerous habit, and you need to get a professional out to get on top of it. Whilst many people on Stockyard have good intentions and solutions that worked for their horses and seem logical, they may not work for you and your horse, and may end up making the situation worse.

Having a professional out eliminates this problem as they can see the horse in action (when /where /why it performs the certain unwanted behaviours) and advise you immediately as to what course of action to take. Of course, with trainers and horse professionals, you MUST do your homework to find the most suitable people (experienced, qualified, reputable people) out there to fix your problem - there are many reputable trainers in the stockyard classifieds.

All the best of luck with your problem. :) Post your progress!! We wanna know how you guys go :)

6. Ziggy the Piggy

Ziggy the Piggy Active Member

Well, this threads been going for a long while EBZA, your probally abit over it all.

Well done to you for sticking it out with your horse**).

It sounds like your making little progresses and while your horse is progressing shes not regressing, so keep it up. If things start getting hairy again, then please consider professional help.

I have found with rears (once you've ruled out the obvious, back pain, saddle misfit, teeth, etc) that they give you lots of warning signs before starting to rear. Get good at reading these early signs, and when you know a rear is brewing, get her feet moving. Get her busy doing anything you can. IN the arena, or on the trail, find something to get her thinking. Circle her hard, then change directions and get her going the other way. If in the arena perhaps run her over some poles on the ground, work her in a circle, on an easy rein, and up the anti so she has to think what shes doing and where shes putting her feet. She'll soon be concentration so much on these tasks that the rear will be long forgotton. When you feel her energies settling down, then continue on your trail ride or go large around the arena in a relaxed manner.

It's important to stay relaxed, but be observant and watch for those signs. Beat her to her own game, and before you know it some time will have gone by without a rear.

Please also revise her feeding regeme and make sure she is not on a 'rising plane' of feed. You dont need to be dealing with a belly full of grain with these issues.

Also, does she have the uttmost respect for you at all times????? in all other situations???? Now be honest here!:D If you feel there are respect issues in other areas ie: pushy when leading, wont stand still to wash or saddle up, reluctant to load on float, wont stand still to mount up etc, then these issues need dealing with as well. They will all have a knock on effect with all your work with her.

Hopefully some of this is or help....would love an update. Good luck.:)*

7. bellaball

bellaball New Member

can i suggest a great free site

one of the best horsemen in australia has a good problem solving site , it may help a lot of people have it taged , horse problems australia.com it is world ranked , has a great artical on rearing , but do get help ,.

8. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Mike that site is my Bible and the man himself my prophet lol.

9. Ebza

Ebza Active Member

hi guys! yer this thread has been going for a loonggg time! lol
    But my girl is going great! (well not so much this week, read my thread in horse management). anyway she doesnt rear very often and when she does its only little and i can handle it :) So yer! she is going great and even though she still has her moments i really dont care! :p
    I dont think there is anything that would make me get rid of this horse!**)*#)

10. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

i'm glad your horse is improving.For all interested readers,the site bellaball mentioned is great.when John & Linda came to Perth for a clinic,John was given a rearer to ride - now before this horse even got a quarter of the way up he simply clocked her open-handed across the ears.Not enough to hurt her,but jeez you should have seen the look on this horse's face - absolutely hilarious!! Never been a problem since apparently BUT the main thing was John's reflexes were as quick as...so i don't think i'd try it myself as i'm too slow,which sadly a lot of us are.So i'd shuffle a rearer off to John's sidekick here in Perth - Watkins Horse Handlers - great people Fred & Rachel & Fred is very very very good.
    Too dangerous rearers imo but it sounds like you're sorting the prob out well so good stuff.

11. Fire n gold1

Fire n gold1 Active Member

good on ya ebza lol i dnt think u should get rid of her either haha lol:D

12. Fire n gold1

heyy WnF who is this?

13. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

This thread is kind of old now...............:))

14. mzgtr

mzgtr Well-known Member

I know people who have stopped rearing by taking them to the beach and in the water....

If you have to know what you are doing though. Some people when a horse rears will pull them straight back, so they fall over. Some people do this in water if the horse is very dangerous....

15. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I agree, old thread but....

IN WATER? Thats the most ludacrus thing I've ever heard! If you can't control your horse on the ground then your bloody stupid for taking it to the beach (seeing as its un-controlable anyway so it shouldn't be there) let alone in the water where you most likely intend on knocking your horse over, getting water in its ears and most likely drown it!

16. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I've heard of getting the buck out of them by putting them in water, but rearing so they fall over in the water?... No thanks..

With my mare, I really had to feel when I could tell she was going to go up - Then I either pushed her forward ( not a tap, but a real get moving now ) or when she went up ( when small ) just did like a one rein stop type of thing, and turned her. But option 1 is best, trying to feel when they are about to do it, and focussing on something else.

My mare is/was never a bad rearer - she just gets impaitent and goes up when she doesn't know what other way to get out her excitedness/happyness/energy but has improved 110%**)

17. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

OMG in water? who in their right mind would intentionally pull a horse backwards into the water?? its bad enough flipping it over on the earth because it could very easily fall on you, or break its back or damage its brain or many other issues.

i know this is an old thread but i had to make a comment on the in the water thing.

one of my friends had a horse go over backwards nearly ontop of her and she did not even try to pull the horse backwards and another friend had to throw himself off a horse to avoid getting smushed

550kg + 70kg rider = bad news if the little one ends up under the big one. why take the chance?

18. Fire n gold1

with the damage the brain part ebza thinks that her horse might have something wrong with its brain.....
    well she did think that last time a saw her.
    and abby did kind of rear and fall back i think too.
    i hope she hasnt got anything wrong with her ebza:(

19. JudenZane

JudenZane New Member

Solving the rearing problem

Hi Ebza,
    This is my first time on Stockyard so hope this is the right way to do this. I have an 8yr old quarterhorse who reared to avoid doing anything he wasn't sure about. Scared the **** out of me cos he started doling it on the road. Anyway I got in touch with saltriver performance horses and I sent my boy up there for a 'therapy' week. It worked a treat! There is a 'problem solving' clinic being held at saltriver in a couple of weeks (check their web site) and I woluld highly recommend them. Good Luck!:)*

20. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Old thread lol. :)