rearing and lashing out at me, help needed

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Joeleen, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Joeleen

Joeleen Well-known Member

rearing and lashing out at me, advice needed

ok i have a huge problem at the moment. my filly was going fine and getting better at feed time. (she was recently started under saddle so i am guessing she is just going through a rebelling stage) when i got her back she was going excellent but in the last 3 weeks she has all of a sudden turned into a complete nightmare. at feed time she has started rearing vertically and lashing out at me...she is not scared of much and has a high pain tolerance..i tell her off and she still tries to get me (kicking and rearing). we end up having a fighting match. i dont want to hurt her but at the same time i dont want to get hurt. she has also started kicking up a stink when i am lunging her.

she is generally a lovely little mare,
    so whats gotten into her?

what would you do?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. Vecchio

Vecchio Active Member

3. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Yep. get on top of that real fast, have you talked to the breaker?

4. Joeleen

no have not spoken to them about it. she was fine when she got back and was getting better before she left. now all of a sudden completely out of the blue...one day good, the next day full of attitude and has been for the last 3 weeks.

5. PPH

PPH Guest

Try this link to larry Trocha's site and this talks specifically about horse training for rearing, kicking, biting.

Horse Training Tips

and this one on training 2 yo's is also good.
    Horse Training Tips

Hope it helps and good luck and be careful!

6. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I would be talking to the breaker, and getting their help.

7. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

She's a filly isn't she Joeleen? Spring has sprung :) That could help explain the sudden change in attitude also.

8. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

im probly really mean but if my horse did that while i was trying to feed it- i'd walk straight back out again and make it go hungry for the night...

But i guess you need to find the root of the problem... in the meantime take a big bloody stick! LoL:)

Good luck and stay safe!

9. Adonai Ace

Adonai Ace New Member

Sounds a bit like my filly,
    she is a right pain, you can be patting her in the paddock and she will rear, strike out, charge you. when leading she always has to be reminded quite forcefully that you are there. and when saddling she bites, bucks etc (soz think you get the pic) for ages we've tried being nice because if you tell her off she fights back, but lately she's started realising how strong she is and could hurt someone, (she's quite a dominant type) so now we're going to fight back, so far it seems to be working, she's learning to respect us etc, she's still not afraid of us but just more respectful.

hope your filly comes good,
    dont get hurt!
    Good Luck!

10. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i've played the 7 games with my pony, so he yields very well and responds to backwards pressure etc. i often (more as a reminder and to give myself sh**s and giggles) keep his rope halter & lead on and back him out of the stable if he thinks about barging me. then ground tie him about 2m away or so whilst i mix his feeds. if he thinks about barging me, i a) go thru the phases with my rope and back him up b) chicken dance (with my back to him - they freak out at that!) c) kick out at him (much like a horse)
    i have spent a lot of time on ground work with him, so he knows that as soon as i raise my elbows, i mean bidness. i've also used my carrot stick as an extension of my foot (good becaUse they can't get too near) and am not afraid to wap wap wap as i walk backwards. it's my horse's job to walk faster and avoid that carrot stick.

also, are you looking your mare in the eye? some horses take that as a challenge, so you might want to avert your eyes.

11. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Strike back! Be dominant.

Like mentioned you need to get back to ground work training and this really pays off but for me personally if a horse rears up on me it gets back what it gives. King reared up on me while I was handling him and he got the dressage whip good and hard across his belly and sent backwards the moment his legs hit the ground then without stopping I quickly asked him to walk on and complete what I had asked him to do, this way he was never stopped and rewarded and we went about our day.
    Not everyones method of course but I hate rearing and I can tell you King has never tried it again (buuuuut he is a colt LOL).

In the paddock I'd chase her off with the lunge whip and keep a good distance between you two if your ever in that situation again but definently get back to basics like explained, I work almost daily on ground manners with all my horses.

12. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Sounds like shes going through her brat stage! I was having a similar problem with Buffy a few weeks ago till I started carrying a piece of poly pipe with me-every time she tried it on she got whacked with it and I only had to do it for a week or so. Arnies right, you need to be the dominant one or this'll just be the beginning!!! Poly pipes great-it doesn't really hurt them and makes a bit of a racket when you get them. I've never been big on belting horses and I can honestly say I've never had to(till now-bloody Buffy*#)) but sometimes the youngsters do need to be put in their place......

13. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

Go the poly pipe:)* It doesn't hurt but makes a hell of a noise and stops a lot of nasty behaviour. My guess is she is growing up and wants to be Number 1. Sadly thats not her role. That is yours. Take control. Kindly but with assertion.:)*

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

I third the poly pipe...great stuff**)

15. smash

smash Well-known Member

RULE NUMBER 1
    never deal with a horse in the paddock UNLESS you have a headcollar and lead rope on.
    IF you chase a horse in the paddock (say to get away from the feed bin with that nasty expression) yes the may move to another part of the paddock, BUT THEY HAVE NOT LEARNT TO BEHAVE. you have only re=enforced why they thought you were a peice of crap in the first place.

you know when she behaves like this, go down and catch her and tie her up, then go back and get the feed, and put it in her feed bin, then go get her and do a little bit of NICE CALM HANDLING (like a nice 2 minute walk) then LEAD her over to the feed bin, and if she shows any unhealthy behaviour, just lead her off again, but make her have a little job (say moving quarters) and then go back to the feed bin. when and only when she displays the nice manners, does she get to eat, take the head collar off and leave her in peace.
    she will VERY QUICKLY start to show you the behaviour you want.
    she has LEARNT THIS BAD BEHAVIOUR, and it works for her just dandy, and it is called a LEARNT HABIT, now you have give her a HABIT that suits you.
    cheers

16. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

well said, smash

17. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

Joeleen - I have a friend who is interested in having a look at Piper, attitude and all - can't PM you as your box is full. PM me your phone number will you?

18. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

joeleen
    just a thought, you might be interested in attending a Horsemanship clinic in millendon on the 21st September Dan will most certainly be able to help you and you little filly out. he is great with problem solving!
    I know how much of a battle these things can get into.

Cheers

19. Joeleen

have pm'd you :)

20. Joeleen

UPDATE: I went in this morning to feed and was much more forcefull than i normally would be. she came up to the gate...i told her to back of and she did. (normally we just end up fighting...obviously i am not forcefull enough) i then went in with her feed and she started coming towards me with her ears back and started playing up big time. i got her with the lunge whip once (big time...but it had to be done unfortunatly)...she suddenly stopped, looked at me...walked further away, turned to face me and just stood there with this shocked (was quite funny) look on her face. she stood there for about 5 minutes, i then asked her to come towards me and she hesitated and then did come up to me, but was very submissive. she didnt go anywhere near her feed untill i left the paddock and the stood there watching me while she was eating.:D