Re-waterproofing Rugs

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by Akubra, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Akubra

Akubra New Member

Is it worth re-waterproofing rugs? My rug is in good condition but on its 3rd winter and starting to soak through when my mare insists on sleeping in the rain. What waterproofers work? I remember reading somewhere about using tent waterproofing? Does that work? Is it easier/cheaper just to get a new rug?

2. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Definitely worth re-proofing, I usually wash and re-proof mine at the end of the season before packing away. I washed them last year but forgot to re-proof them and of course they got waterlogged with the recent downpours. I get spray cans of Aqua Guard from a camping shop for about $16.60 each. One can does a rug up to about 5'6'' to 5'9'' depending on how much it needs. I got 3 cans to do a 5'9' and a 6'0' for $50 instead of $300+ to replace them. This is year 3 for the rugs, I reckon they will last the rest of the season and then be backup rugs after that to use when good ones are being repaired.

3. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

I've just done my canvas ones with canvas waterproofer which you paint on - boy did it stink! And I did it downstairs in the house so all of upstairs stunk for days too :)
    When I do my synthetic rugs I use scotchguard.

4. Akubra

Akubra New Member

Thanks so much! I will give the suggestions a try. Would rather this one last me than to buy another.