Rash from Long Boots?

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by myyky, Feb 19, 2012.

1. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Does anybody get this?
    I've taken to wearing rubber long boots when I ride now that I've realised I can actually wear them in competition. The pair I wear have a leather cuff at the top of the lining on the inside, and then synthetic spongey stuff to the bottom of inside of the boot.

Even though I wear joddies, I get a rash all along where the synthetic stuff is. Does anyone else get this? I've scrubbed the lining with napisan in case there's some kind of bug or something in them.. But dunno if its that. Maybe heat rash?

I LIKE wearing my long boots.. :/

2. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

I have some Dublin rubber long boots that look like what you've described inside of them. You could try putting some baby powder on your legs. I don't get a rash.....but it might be a heatrash, and the powder wil soak up sweat :)

3. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Okk, will try that next time :) I've never had heatrash before.. Is there an easy way to get rid of it? Sooo mega itchy. I did wear my long boots for 10 hours today though.

4. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

10 hours????? Far out!!!

Take other shoes to shows.....and just pop your boots on as needed :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

Yes, I have rather senstive skin (as opposed to my thick hide PMSL) and I cannot wear joddies and long boots for any length of time, I always end up with a nasty rash and itchy scratchy skin.

I always put on my jods and boots at the last minute and take them off as soon as I can. Yesty I had them on for 2 1/2 hours and sitting here at the moment putting on some steroid cream to stop me scratching the top layer of skin off.....

Is simply the combination of heat/sweat in a synthetic and thus non-breathing materials. It is also heaps worse if I do not thoroughly wash the detergent out of my clothes.

6. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

It's weird because my skin usually is tough, never really get any skin problems (eczema etc). Yeah Wattle, 10 hours haha. Usually I would take other boots. Happened after 2 hours the other day though.

Is there certain joddie materials that help? Might have to experiment because I have a few joddies in different material.

7. kp

kp Well-known Member

I suffer terribly with itchy skin. Synthetic materials make it much worse. Especially when I get hot. Much like NG. I found cortisone creams while they helped definitely didn't solve it. My doctor recommended allergy medication (Clarantyne), but I take it already and it didn't make any difference to the itch. But may work for you. I also tried pine tar. You can get it from the chemist, the one I used was pintarsol. But what works best for me is a product called Caroline's cream. Chanced upon it. Has no steroids in it and makes a huge difference to my skin. Definitely worth a go.

8. Babe the standy ROCKS

Babe the standy ROCKS Well-known Member

Definitely wear cotton joddies, that might help. Ugh I am the queen of itchy rashy skin problems. The only antihistamine that works for me is Phenergan. I would also say try the baby powder as well. I would be interested if they work as I may give long boots a try someday.

9. pso

pso Gold Member

get leather boots*#)

10. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Expensive! I got these boots given to me from a very kind friend.. There's no way I could afford leather boots in the near future. (except my cowboy boots of course.. they're different :p )

11. Dashbabe

Dashbabe Well-known Member

Same thing happens to me too, really sensitive skin! I dont have any other skin problems or allergies ect. I wear 3/4 breeches and long socks, Sock fabric is normally lighter then the material for the breeches...so less heat? If that makes sense.

My long boots are leather too :eek: Unless its a comp or something I need to look neat for, I just wear chaps and havnt had much of a problem.