Ranger advice

Discussion in 'News Items' started by The Ranger, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

I want to live in your town Ranger.

My dog (who's name is Ranger) is bigger then a goat. Don't think I can have a goat here... 6 numbers that's all I need is that too much to ask?????*#) I was hoping to have one instead of another dog and house train it etc. Are they house trainable??? I guess they probably would be they're very clever.

2. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

hey Ranger - welcome.

I have question about microchips/scanners too - are all shires/rangers required to have a mircochip scanner??

Its how i ended up with my current dog - Ranger didn't check for a microchip. I happened to see his picture on a notice and had to go pick him up as i fell for him :). I took him to the local vet (for another reason) and had him scanned while ther and found his old owners who ended up giving him to me.

The ranger himself was rather nice in that he was giving the dog extra time as he was a sweety (and he gave him to me) but i thought rangers/shire woudl be required to have a scanner??

3. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

hey ranger, just a quick question- what are the laws against shooting black cockatoos? People down the road from me let off at least 5 shots a day and while i have never seen any drop from the sky im pretty positive they're not using birdfright...(makes a different sound and they would have to be rich to afford it as birdfright is expensive) O/h's parents live next door and found a dead one in the pool the other day, they didnt inspect it for bullet wounds as it was pretty soggy and gross but seems like a bit of a coincidence doesnt it?

btw, they are shooting at them coz they have nut trees

4. Poppy

Poppy Guest

Megz
    Black cockatoos are protected so I can't imagine they would be allowed to shoot at them!!
    Maybe call Dept of conservation for advice
    Poppy

5. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

i know they're protected thats why i was wondering about the penalties... calling the dept of conservation is probably a very good idea, cheers!:)

6. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

Was about to say exactly that. You need to ring DEC and yes the penalties are quite large if this is what they are doing. The may also be breaching the Firearm act depending on the size of the property.
    Why would people shoot these magnificent animals - RSPCA may also need to be called but they are snowed under and may not make it there for a while.

Good Luck

7. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

Niki, Rangers are not required to carry scanners. My shire did not have one and I purchased my own. Because Dogs do not have to be microchipped there is no need for Rangers to carry them. It has helped me heaps and I have found the owners because of it.

Before getting your pets microchipped I would first see if your Shire has a scanner as you may be wasting your money.

8. Horseagilitywa

Horseagilitywa Well-known Member

Hi Ranger and welcome.
    I'm new too.
    We have a couple of lovely rangers here, but they don't always check the chip, unfortunatly too busy, and most dogs aren't chipped or though more and more are. Kalgoorlie/Boulder shire council holds a micro-chipping day once a year. Costs $15, the vets donate the time. Really brilliant idea.

Our ranger in my small town drives 40kms to Kal and borrows their scanner twice a week to check the dogs here.

9. megz86

megz86 Well-known Member

cheers ranger, will get onto it asap. Without giving to much info, they shoot at them coz their business is to do with nuts and the black cocky's eat them off the trees.:mad: I often wonder if theyve ever heard of nets??? Might be expensive but probly not as expensive as the fine they will be facing for shooting them.

Pretty sure the owner of the place is a lawyer too... think he would know better#(

My horse is now very immune to gunshots, used to send him crazy, now he doesnt even flinch

10. Dudette

Dudette New Member

Welcome Ranger, you are right about the Rangers where I live, they get onto dog attacks pretty quick.
    About those black cockies Megz86, its the usual story, its all about the money. Its people like you doing something about the situation that helps stamp out this cruelty.**) DEC will need proof, try to get some shot birds, photos or video or something. DEC could also be overloaded. If desperate, call in Today Tonight I reckon.:mad: Cruel people.

11. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Cockies/galahs, grrrr.
    We dont have a black cockie problem, only the stupid white ones & the pink & greys.
    Hate them, they sit in our hay paddock & dig the seed/dirt up.

Mongrel things, protected or not! *#)

12. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Kings paddock is usually infested with them too Kylie and at the right time of year (summer) the whole town gets drowned by black cockies! lol

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Does he mind them? Mine dont care no more.

I dont mind the birds in the horse paddocks but these feral feathered things are digging up the seed & eating the shoots in our (future if it isnt ruined) hay crop & doing alot of damage.

I know what'll fix 'em. ;) *#)

14. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Nope he couldn't care less lol. They pick all the seeds and shoots out of his paddock too. Thats if King doesn't eat them first lol.