Ranger advice

Discussion in 'News Items' started by The Ranger, Jun 9, 2008.

1. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

Need Ranger advice/help?? Just ask....

2. Sherri69

Sherri69 Well-known Member

You are going to be bombarded with questions.
    Ok here's one, riding horses past peoples houses and there dogs are contained by ringlock fences but they attack through the fence and frighten the poo out of horses what can ya do??? Not directing this at my next door neighbour either it's on a corner lock near where I live : ;

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

There is not much that can be done. Although if the person in question is not allowing frontal access to their property they may be guilty of an offence under your local laws?? These days even if a dog rushes at a person causing fear than can be classed as an attack. Your local laws should be posted on your Shire website. I hope that this helps in some way. Without seeing the property myself t is very hard to determine if they are guilty of an offence. If you dont know your councils address please utilise the following link. And YES I feel I may be a busy lil boy on this site now. wa

4. Sherri69

This is a German Shepherd and it is allowed to do this and the owner does not even call back the dog just watches it do it. Shame on the owner whom is a horse person also.#(

5. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

I forgot to mention that the owner of the dog should have sufficient means to detain/restrain the animal from escaping from the property also. A German Shepherd would easily escape if the fence was of a ring lock design which you described. Send me a pic without entering the property or giving away the location or identity of the person in question and I will investigate a lil further. If this cannot be done a simple drawing of the outlay of the property may do?? I would hate to hear that the dog has escaped and attached someone or an animal. Too many irresponsible pet owners in this world.

6. Sherri69

How about I take a picture of us being attcked riding our horses on the road boundary to the property, it is a vicious beast that puts huge fear into our 3 horses.:mad:

7. Valiente Blanco

Valiente Blanco Well-known Member

**) Welcome to stockyard Ranger :)

8. pso

pso Gold Member

Welcome Ranger!**)

Tarz, I think you put that one in the wrong thread?:}

9. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

And it is also copyrighted to Horsewyse and should not be cut and pasted at your leisure!

10. Mod 5

Mod 5 Moderator

Sorry Tarz - had to delete your post, think it was in the wrong section and yes - copyright

11. Lin

Lin Well-known Member

I forgot to add, welcome Ranger.

Dare we ask what Council you work with? :)

12. safs_mum

safs_mum Well-known Member

Oooooh welcome!

I have a problem with pitbulls that live behind our next door neighbour. A few days ago they got out and mauled 7 sheep. I know for a fact that before we lived here they (actually different dogs, same owner) came onto this property and killed a kitten :(.
    My next door neighbours called the ranger who said the police should shoot them, but they weren't available. By the time the ranger had gone to get a gun and come back the dogs had escaped back through the fence, so apparently it wasn't legal for him to go in and shoot them?
    The police went around to arrest the guy, as he's been banned from having dogs, but he was either hiding or not home. I worry alot about this as I have 2 horses, a dog and a one year old son.
    Any advice?

13. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

Gidday Safs Mum, Well everyones nightmare. I see this too often and find that it is only a matter of time before it escalates to a full on disaster. The Ranger needs to get on top of this incident fast before all evidence is lost. The dogs cannot be put down by the Ranger unless he/she is there at the time of the attack and fears for their safety or the safety of others. Most Rangers carry a dog attack DNA kit these days but can be quite expensive.

If the dogs in question are infact pitbulls or any dog that is on the restricted breed list they should not be out at all as per the legislation/dog act 1976. I am sure that your Ranger/s will deal with this appropriately and we receive great training through Tafe and other trainers. Do not be afraid to ring the Rangers if you are concerned. I found it too often that people were too scared to ring as they were worried that they would be named. Keep on at it and good luck Rangers - we all hate having to deal with this type of situation. Oh - who banned this guy from having dogs??

14. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

Safs mum, just noticed where you are from. The Rangers in your area are top Rangers and am sure that they will keep an eye on the situation.

15. safs_mum

Um I think it was the cops? He was found to have been involved in dog fighting. The last dog they shot had its ears clipped right back, apparently to stop the other dog from latching on. After he was banned he got another two fighting dogs, reg in his girlfriends name, they were shot, and the two he has now aren't registered at all.
    He's also out on bail for other stuff - really nice type LOL
    Thankyou! :)

16. Sherri69

17. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

It would be good if this thread was a sticky.:D

18. Mufasa

Mufasa Active Member

Please do not blame the breed of dog.
    Blame irresponsible owners.#(

19. safs_mum

Thats exactly right Mustafa. I totally blame the owner on this one, its terrible to imagine the life these poor dogs lead. :(

20. The Ranger

The Ranger Active Member

Thats right Mufasa, as a Ranger alot of people think that we enjoy euthanasing dogs. Most Rangers are animal lovers like myself and we see it too often that good dogs have to be put down because of irresponsible owners. I have often said to myself that I should be putting the owner down rather than the dog but this obviously cannot happen.

Sad thing is that these people just go out and get another dog and you see it about six months later when yet again you are euthanasing it. Its just one big vicious circle. Sterilization must be made compulsory to combat this over population of domestic pets. I dont agree with the restriced breed list at all but rather feel that there should be a list that prohibites certain people from owning a pet.