Raised feed bin

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by weezal, Mar 12, 2015.

1. weezal

weezal New Member

I need help with ideas for a cheap feed bin that is raised off the ground & can hold a hard feed & biscuit of hay.

There is a sheep that lives with my horse & steals his feed. The sheep is becoming obese so I need to find a way to stop it being able to get to it. I share a paddock with a friends horse & we share feeding so I can't always take him out of the paddock to be fed. I need to raise his feedbin & hay off the ground so the sheep can't reach it.

The fences are wire & I am about to fence off the gate so don't really have anywhere to hang a feed bin. Will probably need some sort of freestanding thing. There is a pile of large tree stumps I could potentially bolt something to but it isn't ideal (is actually a bonfire pile though it has been there for the past 5 years haha). That said the best thing I have seen so far is a cut open plastic 44 gallon drum that I bay be able to bolt to this stump. He also won't eat hay from a haynet.

Any suggestions?

2. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

what i did was a big blue barrel , cut it in half and bolt both bottoms together. I place mine against a fence post and just tie binder twine around the middle and to the fence post so wind doesn't blow it down.