Racing Quiz...googling allowed

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Jez, Jul 19, 2007.

1. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

was the horse with spots "Bend Or"????

2. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

mmmm was this Paul King? Do you mean animal name as in nickname like what you tested me on or there actuall name?

3. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Yes....it was the duck.....even ducks say funny things sometimes.

Ok...Bend Or - his spots came from Birdcatcher - Bend Or is on the dam line of the Tetrach so I guess technically the answer Bend Or may have been correct but the Tetrach was known mostly for his strange coloring

Bend Or Horse Pedigree

The Tetrarch Horse Pedigree

4. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

YAY!!! I got one right..... bout time!:p

more :D hehe

5. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

Persian Queen no problem looks like a racing topic lol

Pedas aka Pedrow (spelling eh) Yeh lindsay was really nice one of the owners drove down to pick him up he was a very last minute quick buy. There isnt alot of him! his racing tomorrow carrying 62kg. very very purdy horsey for a plain bay! other wise I dont have much to do withhim. Sorry he nosed your fella out of the win!

We have 2 of our own racing tomorrow Why The Long Face and Hosea. Go Boys!

6. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Ok Next level...you lot are getting too clever...

1) He is regarded by some as Australias greatest racehorse, a closer (swooper/backrunner) like no other who ran under very controversial circumstances during the 1940s. Banned from racing in QLD due to turf club disagreements with his owners even his conception is said to have been in doubt - there are rumours that the listed sire is not his official sire. He went on to new ownership to be allowed to run in QLD and Sydney where he swept home from last to win the Doomben Cup & 10,000 and fractured a sesamoid in the Mackinnon to be sold to stand at stud in America. His feats were so great this quote is written about him -

"We racing people of today can close our eyes for a short time and just imagine the herculian task that faced this great horse as he swung for home in a Doomben 10,000 – just 27th of 27 on the turn – with just 65.5 kilos.

WHO was this champion of the turf and adversity?

2) Which is the worlds richest horse race?

3) What do some jockeys wear under their britches?

4) Which "Mighty Mare's" Dam was purchased in France?

5) A AUD$26 Million dollar horse named after a golf course was sold at the Keenland sales - what is this horses name and has it won any races?

6) Which horse involved in the 'disappearance/substition' of a stallion scandal that had huge implications for a WA Turf Club Identity is believed to be in which country...extra points if you name the horse sent here!

7) Which historical stallion was known as "Big Daddy"

8) Name the horse involved in the disgusting incident at Ascot featuring a now dead prominent businessman which resulted in footage of the horse collapsing and being carried off the track while his 'owner' shouted the bar champagne? - extra points for naming the race.

9) Now we know who the punisher is, who is the pumper?

10) The GRANDSON of which legendary Australian trainer saddled up his first runner this month - (his father is also a group one winning trainer who once trained the first and second horses in a race protest against eachother). Best-known for his two Melbourne Cup winners Beldale Ball and At Talaq also won three Cox Plates he trained 5,333 winners and bred many at his famous stud. This man has been awarded an O.B.E and A.M decorations and firmly believed in a more natural style of working with horses once saying that if yearlings didnt play with eachother out in the pastures they ended up becoming "sooks". He went back to nature saying "A happy horse will win".
    He is sometimes remembered as the man who could catch horses, sometimes remembered for his great champion who was sadly galloped on and destroyed in the melbourne cup after winning a Cox, but mostly he was remembered for his legacy. He gave press conferences at the stud while he prepared for his death and stated his life had gone terribly quickly and extremely pleasantly.

Can you name the Grandfather, The Father and The Son..extra points if you can name this mans greatest champion who he lost tragically?

7. pso

pso Gold Member

1) bernborough?
    2) dubai world cup
    3) stockings/nylons
    4)
    5)The Green Monkey- think he's still unraced (names unforgettable!)
    6)Samood was sent to WA, in place of Dubai Excellence (currently in europe?)
    7)
    8) Rocket racer- perth cup 87
    9)
    10)colin, david, sam, HAYES

Can someone fill in the blanks- have to be at SEC @8!:D

8. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

4) Which "Mighty Mare's" Dam was purchased in France? MAKYBE dIVA

7) Which historical stallion was known as "Big Daddy" CAN WE HAVE A HINT?

9) Now we know who the punisher is, who is the pumper? JIM CASSIDY

9. samm

samm Gold Member

9) Jim Cassidy is 'the pumper'.

I have a feeling 7) is Man O War.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  10. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Ohhh well now arent we a clever lot.........im off to the track but will leave a clue for the one still to be answered ...

Yes

1) Berborough (wasnt he awesome!)

2) Dubai World Cup

3) PANTYHOSE the big girlyblouses but stockings will do - wonder if anyone has tried seamed or fishnets under there hmm?

4) France

5) The Green Monkey (Has shown very little ability and is now running round no name tracks)

6) Samood was substituted for Dubai Excellence and yes its a european country but which one - WAS Part of the former Soviet Union.

7) Look closer to home...This stallion was renowned for his bad temper - probably due to the barn he was housed in in the UK catching on fire, he kicked his way out and spent the night getting the stuffing kicked out of him by a bunch of old broodies. He was then EXPORTED to the southern hemisphere where his cantankerousness was legendary and a special breeding barn was built for him. Its rumoured he was buried standing up still with the cheap webbing halter he wore on because no one could take it off him...

8) Rocket racer- perth cup 87

9) Jim Cassidy is 'the pumper'

10) CS/Colin Hayes is Dad, David Hayes is Father, Grandson is ??? (no, not Sam).

Hmm, you lot are not too bad at this ...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  11. Kasabealtaky

Kasabealtaky Active Member

ok some from me again

1) name the 1997 winner of the Australian Cup? Also which champion bled during this race??

2) Which two champions did Doriemus beat in the 1995 melbourne cup? How much did he carry?

3) Which champion english stayers name is murder backwards?

4) how many grand nationals did he win? what years? and where is this horse buried?

5)Which northern hemisphere gelding was involved in a controversy with australian racing? what race did he win?

6)What leading western australian stallion was euthanised in 2001? Why was he euthanised?

7)Name the three black racing thorougbreds? (Hint they are related)

12. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

1) name the 1997 winner of the Australian Cup? Also which champion bled during this race?? Octagonal

2) Which two champions did Doriemus beat in the 1995 melbourne cup? How much did he carry? Nothin' Leica Dane and

3) Which champion english stayers name is murder backwards? Red Rum

4) how many grand nationals did he win? what years? and where is this horse buried? 3, 1973, 1974 and 1977. He was buried next to the winning post at Aintree racetrack

5)Which northern hemisphere gelding was involved in a controversy with australian racing? what race did he win? Taufan's Melody, winning the 1998 Caulfieid Cup intereferred with Jezabeel and Champagne

6)What leading western australian stallion was euthanised in 2001? Why was he euthanised? old spice, snake bite?

7)Name the three black racing thorougbreds? (Hint they are related) just guessingoctagonal lonrho and not sure of the third

13. Kasabealtaky

Ace.

1) 1/2 point
    2)1/3 point
    3) 1 point
    4) 1 point
    5) 1 point
    6) 0
    7)2/3 point

14. Kasabealtaky

just doing this *bump*

15. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Omg Northerly secretly had dressage lessons! Thats funny LOL

16. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Neillo is the other "little brother" to Lonhro....

Now...I just had a few drinkies with Belle Bizarre's owner and just realised...no one has answered the question regarding

HOW DID SHE GET HER NAME....??

I am possibly drunk...so give me a couple of hours to think some more up...

NOW WHO WAS BIG DADDY??

17. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Your quite correct about that - Akhy when I saw him the other day has a bit of age on him and like most greys hes faded to "white",,,I assume those big brown areas were mud not spots LOL.

Took a better look at some of the AK projeny I see around, dots n spots indeed.

18. pso

pso Gold Member

Hows the head this morning, jez?!

I actually meant spotted performance...

19. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Ok have updated some of them

1) name the 1997 winner of the Australian Cup? Also which champion bled during this race?? Octagonal and guessing Juggler?

2) Which two champions did Doriemus beat in the 1995 melbourne cup? How much did he carry? Nothin' Leica Dane and Vintage Crop and he carried 54kg

6)What leading western australian stallion was euthanised in 2001? Why was he euthanised? Serheed

20. Kasabealtaky

Ace

1) Octagonal is correct. Juggler isnt
    2) Correct
    6) Correct. But why was he euthanised