Racing Quiz...googling allowed

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Jez, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Spider is getting pretty good with jockey names and weve had fun doing this lil quiz so thought might have something in honor of Sambo and see who can answer 10 racing questions.

1) What horse won at Aqua Caliente before dying at a farm before preparing for a US racing campaign.

2) What was this horses name, his sire and dam and how much did he cost?

3) Other than Bart Cummins, only one trainer has managed to train the quinella of a melbourne cup - WHERE does this trainer operate out of?

4) What racehorse of the year secretly did dressage lessons when he got too full of himself?

5) "The sun might rise in the east and set in the west but every now and then you will come across a northerly" - which TWO horses is this quote from the trainer of one referring to before a cox plate duel?

6) Name the US racehorse recently euthenased after extensive repeated surgeries as a result of shattering bones in a race and complications that arose during the treatment to try and rebuild his leg and what was the race?

7) Which is Australia's ONLY stud which has been breeding for 8 generations? extra points if your a stockie who owns horses bred by this stud.

8) Who was "The Punisher" and why was he nicknamed this?

9) Which legendary Australian jockey and horseman recently died at a very advanced age after having been one of the first australian jockeys who rode with huge success all around the world?

10) At the moment of the barriers closing in a very important race recently which high profile trainer enigmatically smiled and said "Its all up to the little people now"........and who are "The Little People"

2. Kasabealtaky

Kasabealtaky Active Member

1) What horse won at Aqua Caliente before dying at a farm before preparing for a US racing campaign. Phar Lap

2) What was this horses name, his sire and dam and how much did he cost?
    Phar Lap, Sire:Night Raid Dam: Entreaty (Winkie) 160 guineas

3) Other than Bart Cummins, only one trainer has managed to train the quinella of a melbourne cup - WHERE does this trainer operate out of?
    Katsuhiko Sumii with Delta Blues and Pop Rock. Japan

4) What racehorse of the year secretly did dressage lessons when he got too full of himself? northerly

5) "The sun might rise in the east and set in the west but every now and then you will come across a northerly" - which TWO horses is this quote from the trainer of one referring to before a cox plate duel? Sunline and Northerly

6) Name the US racehorse recently euthenased after extensive repeated surgeries as a result of shattering bones in a race and complications that arose during the treatment to try and rebuild his leg and what was the race?
    Barbaro the Preakness

7) Which is Australia's ONLY stud which has been breeding for 8 generations? extra points if your a stockie who owns horses bred by this stud. arrowfield. but they have been breeding since 1842 with the stallion st alwyne. :) and alwina dam of peter pan.

8) Who was "The Punisher" and why was he nicknamed this?all im getting is a cartoon character.

9) Which legendary Australian jockey and horseman recently died at a very advanced age after having been one of the first australian jockeys who rode with huge success all around the world?scobie beasley

10) At the moment of the barriers closing in a very important race recently which high profile trainer enigmatically smiled and said "Its all up to the little people now"........and who are "The Little People lee freeman, and the jockeys

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  3. Jez

Jez Gold Member

1 - 3 correct

4 - (hint) hes famous

5 - correct

6 - correct

7 - found in tbreds throughout the land

8 , 9 & 10 - Keep googlin lol you will find it out - well done Kas you scored 50%!

4. pso

pso Gold Member

4- northerly

sorry dont have time do research on the others!!
    nagmarts snippets page usu has heaps of good info!

5. sambo

sambo Well-known Member

Oh, Jezzy. I have a tear in my eye. Pharlap, bless him!!!:)

Have you been up all night?????

6. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

7 Arrowfeild?

9 Scobie Beasley?

Can we have a bit more hints on 8 and 10?

Cheers

Bec

7. Kasabealtaky

bump. jez added more answers.

8. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Hehe - all Im getting for the punisher is some video game!

Ill guess for question 10- lee Freedman? and the little people are the jockeys! hehe

Cheers

Bec

9. Kasabealtaky

i think your right ace. who was the trainer of makybe diva?

10. Marianne

Marianne Gold Member

Peter Pan is my boy Barneys Gx5 (I think) Grandsire on his dams side. I'll double check and change if necessary.

I've seen the Arrowfield brand on someone's horse on here recently. It's the Jockey Cap with two lines? under it I think or one line..... A friend in Sydney had one crazy 17hh grey loonie from Arrowfield.

11. Kasabealtaky

dunno, cant remember the brand, but i know where i was working we had a couple from arrowfield, one by blackfriars and the other redoutes choice.

12. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Kasabeataky-David Hall trained Makybe Diva to her first melbourne cup win in 03 then Lee Freeman in 04/05.

Cheers

Bec

13. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

the little people = jockeys orrr elves:D hahaha

Yay! i'm getting good at names!!!

14. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Ok very very good stockies - Widden stud is the only australian stud to have NEVER been sold or taken over - 8 generations of one family have run Widden, but Arrowfield could also be correct.

Yes it was Lee Freedman who said "Its all up to the little people now (Jockeys)" as the barriers closed before they jumped in the Chipping Norton Stakes.

Ace - correct, the legend Scobie recently passed away - Scobie opened the gates up for other Aus jockeys to try their luck overseas.

SO...that leave us now with question 8.

The PUNISHER was an exceptionally brilliant jockey, probably the hardest hitting jockey in Aus racing history who could find a way to thread a horse through almost any gap. D.Oliver lists the punisher as one of his inspirations.

15. megan

megan Well-known Member

is the punnisher danny miller

16. Jez

Jez Gold Member

OK....Round Two....

1) Who is Gai Waterhouses father, who is Gai married to and Why was her husband "Warned Off"

2) In the incident which resulted in Waterhouse's husband being warned off a horse was substituted for another horse in a race at Eagle Farm - what was the horses name?

3) Which horse nicknamed Foo recently retired at 10 with a group one win and which horse did this horse brawl with midrace resulting in them both being sent back to trial for bad behaviour - the horse who was Foo's nemesis has already been the subject of a couple of questions in round one?

4) Name the senior NZ brothers who are both group one winning jockeys?

5) Name the father and son jockey team riding at the moment (NO Graeme im not talking about you and your dad)

6) Which historical stallion became known as "The shot that fired around the world"?

7) Which historical stallion had spots?

8) What are winkers? (and no, the answer is not mares in season)

10) "7 million Australians and Two Jockeys" punched WHICH horse home to win which race and who were the jockeys and who was the horse trained by and why was the horse said to have been ridden by two jockeys?

11) WHO was the Punisher?

UMMMMMM Roflmao Megs darlin - if you ask Danny Millar Snr who the Punisher is he will probably make this funny sound mention the horse i own that took him into a garden and punished him - Saxon not Doc btw ;) That cracked me up. Riding at Dash's age is probably punishing enough!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  17. megan

megan Well-known Member

OK....Round Two....

1) Who is Gai Waterhouses father, who is Gai married to and Why was her husband "Warned Off" Her farther is tommy smith married to robbie waterhouse.

2) In the incident which resulted in Waterhouse's husband being warned off a horse was substituted for another horse in a race at Eagle Farm - what was the horses name? fine cotton

3) Which horse nicknamed Foo recently retired at 10 with a group one win and which horse did this horse brawl with midrace resulting in them both being sent back to trial for bad behaviour - the horse who was Foo's nemesis has already been the subject of a couple of questions in round one? Feilds of omah

4) Name the senior NZ brothers who are both group one winning jockeys?

5) Name the father and son jockey team riding at the moment (NO Graeme im not talking about you and your dad) Darren and mitchell Beadman

6) Which historical stallion became known as "The shot that fired around the world"?

7) Which historical stallion had spots?

8) What are winkers? (and no, the answer is not mares in season) they are the wool that run down the cheek peices

10) "7 million Australians and Two Jockeys" punched WHICH horse home to win which race and who were the jockeys and who was the horse trained by and why was the horse said to have been ridden by two jockeys?

11) WHO was the Punisher?[/quote]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  18. megan

megan Well-known Member

hey jezzy i took a guess LOL

19. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Correct questions 2 and 8 - Question 3 half correct Fields of Omagh met this horse on 8 occasions and twice brawled with him through a race. As a result the other horse had to trial again and was probably sent off for more dancing lessons to get over himself..thats a big clue.

Still laughin about Dash!

20. megan

megan Well-known Member

im adding as i go LOL so you will have to keep cheaking my answers