Racing Industry

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Angela, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Angela

Angela New Member

Hi everyone,
    I dont post on on here much but i do read it all the time, quite a bit actually :p

Just wondering how (if you are) everyone is tied into the racing industry, what do you do and where?

Do you train race horses, are you a breaker, stablehand or just like to put on a few bets?

I actually ride for a breaker in Ascot every morning, so thought it would be interesting to know what other people are up to :)*

2. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

Worked as a strapper / poop pickerupperer since I was 15/16. Rode some track work for one trainer only for a short time.
    Now 25 well in a few days lol still a strapper and poop pickerupperer lol but now I pick up our own trained race horses with my partner.

Oh and were in the Pilbara.

3. Aussie Cowgirl

Aussie Cowgirl Active Member

I work for Lou Luciani, my name is emma, im not the one that rides, im the one that stay on the ground where i feel safest. Sarah rides for lou.

Lou can be a bit of a grumpy %$#@ some of the time, actually most of the time... if you dont know louie you soon will when you ear him screaming.

I am a stable hand/ strapper. Its ok. aot of trying to keep horses out of power lines etc. and...... picking up horse poo. I have gone up in ranks so dont do that as much anymore

Who do you ride for?

4. Angela

Angela New Member

Hi, @)

I ride for Joe Burns, did a bit of work experience when i was at ag school with him for a couple of weeks before i found the job riding there.

Yep been there done that with the poo picking hahaha
    I worked at Lynward Park (Bletchly Park) when i was about 18 i think, im 22 now and have had numerous grooming jobs.

Im pretty sure Joe breaks in fair few of Lou's horses i think, dont know that many people at Ascot even though have been there bout a year :p
    But have heard and know faces around :D

5. Spider n Toby

Spider n Toby Gold Member

I'm not really involved but just know quite a few people in the industry. I occassionaly work for one as well (Persian Queen) on the weekens when I'm not working at Ascot/Belmont course too early otherwise I just don't have time!

My horse is also kept in ascot so I get told a lot! lol

6. Aussie Cowgirl

yeah joe does alot of our breaking, we recently had a Rockatrabolta (sp) colt get broken in with joe.

He is a stunning type, chestnut and very colty if you know what i mean. He tried to mount a gelding that was working with him, hahaha.

We have called him Romeo because he is so flashy.

Joe does a good job! do you go down to garvey park much with the bubs or just the track?

By the way how wet is the track now, all our horses come in with mud up o there eye balls.

Joey bought that place off lou.

7. tariquepark

tariquepark Well-known Member

im a pacing trainer and work for wally mitchell im his stable foreperson and help break in the babies

8. Jez

Jez Gold Member

My involvement - simply woke up one day and decided, hmm, knitting would be a rather boring hobby....I KNOW!...that $300 colt with no papers I found after driving the wrong way up a one way street can be a racehorse. So after a two year battle with studbook, got him into training, only to have him contract a guttural pouch infection which he slowly overcame and came back into work but hated the ascot environment and started going on hunger strikes so he was retired for a short time until another rural based trainer spotted him and rang and asked if I would consider giving him another go..I did, he ran last 4 starts..oh, think he might have passed one or two horses the very last start at northam where he managed to put on such a display in the mounting yard Shane Cullen was flying higher than the roof of the jocks room before he finally got on and stayed on long enough to get him out to the barriers. I just thought this aint worth it, the horse hates it, its not his thing so im not going to force him to do this anymore. He also absconded from Bunbury Racecourse and ran out the gap in the rails and into an old nannas back garden and hid (hard to do when your 17h and have a jockey on board)...funnily enough Dashing Danny Millar seems to have taken that one personally - he mightve picked up some pruning tips while he was out there but anyway.
    While Saxon was trying to work out every possible way to not win a race and introduce "Antics" as part of pre, mid and post race tactics I had bought a Dr Johnson (Doc) from the MM Sales who was the horse who went through after the Rorys Jester x Paradise Park sales topper. After the big bidding war on that I sorta zipped out for a smoke only to come back in to spot a bum walking out of the ring so I was frantically trying to bid but no one saw me until the very last moment when I threw in a 5K starting bid but no one bidded against me so I couldnt bid against myself so out he went. I went out the next day to Canardly stud and bought him then...only to find out the vet had been that morning and gelded him (Sighh...what I would do for a DJ with balls!). The intention was to bring him up for the breezeups and offload him. One of Joe Burns guys (Bluey) broke him in for me at the roundyard at Jnrs stables in three sessions basically. The first hop on say hello ok nice boy yup can walk left and right with a human on, second hello again now lets see if you can trot round with a human on, third, open up the gates were going to the backtrack...EEEEEEEEEK...I was freaking but he rode him over the road, to the backtrack where he saw a white pony and ran backwards at the speed of light and I remember commenting if he went as good forwards as he did backwards would be a nice horse. Bluey suggested reconsidering selling him, left him alone for a couple of days and boom..down at trackwork ..all within a week. Mind you he had awesome yearling prep and just has that beautiful temprament that makes it so easy with him.
    Needless to say I didnt sell him at the breezeups because he put in a fantastic run and I had three repeat lookers who all kept saying 30K so at the last moment I put a reserve of $30,500 on and prayed the bidding would stop at 30K which it did...so I turned down 30K (Ive had bigger offers since - im just having too much fun with this lil guy)..
    So...now ive started making them too...Have a couple of nice weanlings out of Mosayter and classy Dauberval and Nassipour mares and my new bigbum sir tristram mare is off for a date with Akhenaton soon. Trying to space things out so I dont have any more than one in work at a time cos financially its a killer.

I wish I could CLONE doc.

Just a further comment - for all you trackriders, stablehands, strappers - THANKS! I dont think owners pay enough recognition for the work you people put in to get them TO the track....I havent ever picked up poo so thanks to all of you who do!

9. Aussie Cowgirl

hey tariquepark? not meaning to be rude but who are you? i know some of wally's staff! Really nice guy.

Also Jez- Louie has glamourzon who is out of Doctor Johnson, good broodmare one day!

10. j_hayman_

j_hayman_ New Member

im a stablehand for ross olivieri (a pacing trainer) and have been workin there for 2 and a half years. Basically just jog the horses and fast work them in their hopples. not planning to be a driver though, just want to train them.

11. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

I use to work at Ross Olivieri's aswell when I was 16 through to about 19 (am 22 now) just as a stable hand on the weekend. I didnt get to jog the horses or anything as I worked Sundays but went to the trials and gloucester park on Friday nights and helped gear them up etc. I absolutely loved it but now not involved other than reading the paper everyday!

Cheers

Bec

12. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

I havent had anything to do with racing since i was 18 (now 24) I use to be a stable hand with Dianne George in baldivis at ajeda lodge, ofcourse not many horses in work just mainly did pre training ect or had some nice horses on spell, also had a little to do with pacers while i was there that was fun

Didn't use to ride much, maybe a little beach work but other than that not alot

I use to be really into going to the races but havent been in ages

13. Aussie Cowgirl

Has anyone heard of Amelia Park??? Its a Pre - Training, agistment place for race horses, its near busselton. Just wondering if anyone has ever used it for the spelling of their race horses. heard its a nice place, like a little town and all.

14. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Yup i believe someone here works for a person who has a financial interest in Amelia Park.

15. Aussie Cowgirl

louie wants to take us down to have a look. we have some of the horses down there now i think?....

I have met steve walsh

16. My ties are remote LOL. I know Clayton Scoby-Smith quite well, used to date one of his riders and then when I ditched the rider I remained friends with Clayton and Jodie. Clay gave me Levi so he's forever a hero in my books LOL.

And I teach the Price's daughter at Pony Club. Thats pretty much it for my contacts haha.

17. Aussie Cowgirl

who's that Jez???
    if you dont mind me asking

18. Jez

Jez Gold Member

I thought Lou Luciano had an interest in Amelia park...

19. Aussie Cowgirl

Oh yeah, haha ''The Ding''. Yeah i spose he has a bit to do with it.

Sorry Jez, blonde moment.........

20. Jewels'

Jewels' Well-known Member

Well, my little bit of history goes back to when I was around 12 and my mum ironed for Mike Reed's (pacing trainer) mum. We used to go out to his stables when he was only learning the ropes and while all the adults were inside having cups of tea, I was down the back grooming horses. I loved it!

I then discovered the "gallops" and this is where my interest in racing took off. When I was 16 I started in the bank as a telephonist and to fill in my few very boring seconds between phone calls, I used to keep records of WA gallopers. I had about 18,000 horse records in the end. I kept all their details much like how the CRIS website is set out. Little did I know, it would be at my fingertips instantly several years later LOL....I bought 5 or 6 racebooks every week from Doogue's Lottery in Murray St and every newspaper so I could cut out pictures etc. My obsession lasted for about 6 years and then I went to NZ for 3 weeks. I nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to figure out I catch up 3 weeks results aaagghhhh....I cleaned out my 3 draw filing cabinet and threw the lot down the tip.....Cold turkey, I am when it comes to ending something once and for all! Geoff often says is that what you will do with me LOL...

Hmmmm, if you are still reading this, I then had a bit of a sabatical from following the races and then met Geoff. Geoff trains pacers with Ross Oliveiri(hi Jem and Bec "waves") and my interest was ignited once again. Again, I still enjoy the gallopers much more and now have a small share in a 4 yo filly who a close friend of ours bred.

I think that is about it..

Julie