Question about sweet chaff (oat husks)????

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Deb2, Aug 15, 2009.

1. mum of five

mum of five Well-known Member

Iam also having problems locating sweet chaff, no probs getting sweet bulk, but will it do the same thing? Also I wouldnt want to give that to my pony because of the molassas.
    if sweetbulk does the same thing, it would make sense, Danny ahs a prob with sand and when i bought him his old owner gave me an unused bag of sweetbulk, but didnt give me any explanation about it and I never bought it for him, I wish she had told me why she gave it, she was a vet student, i may ahve saved him alot of discomfort and me alot of money!

2. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Has it definately got a lesser nutritional value than white chaff??? I feed my pony mare the most basic diet as anything with too much protein sends her nuts, i know oats are very low nutrtionally compared to other feeds , so how does it go just being the oat husks. Would it send her loopey??:D

3. sherreem

sherreem Well-known Member

incase any of you are interested mundijong rural up on southwest highway have a good supply of the sweet chaff.

4. NLEC

NLEC Well-known Member

I know this is a VERY old thread ;)

I was an initial contributor - AKA Eoroe :p I have had continued, and had great success with the feed.

I will still continue to use it for most horses, however, A bit more information on the product is handy.

The Oathusks are coated in a Glycerol product to minimise dust, and assist with the handling of the product. A very low level of Glycerol, but some horses are very sensitive to this.

If you are experiencing horses having loose manures, coinciding with the use of this product, or after a period of time on it - test for sand in the manure - and then if you are sure sand isn't an issue, consider a laxative effect from the Glycerol that the husks are coated in ;)

A laxative response is a very standard reaction from Glycerol which is a generally harmless product - but you just may be the unlucky one that has a horse with a sensitivity to it ! :)*

Sweet chaff is not a bad product, in fact it is brilliant for many horses - just not great for some, and not a good product for one of mine ;) **)

5. PlumpRump

PlumpRump New Member

Absolutely. We always fed oat husks as kids with ponies on pure sand paddocks. It was brilliant then and its brilliant now. I could not source this when I moved area, and switched to sweet chaff which was less dusty and more pleasant to interact with. I used it in place of or with chaff and think it is an excellent product. Nice to see it get a good wrap as so many seem to confuse it with sweet bulk (aka lollies).