Quarter Horses

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Lauren, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

I agree

And the ASH. Truly versatile awesomely tempered animals.

To be honest I wouldn't buy a QH unless it was truly exceptional for any english purpose. Lets face it, they aren't bred for it and aren't built for it, most being downhill etc. Makes your job a bit hard for jumping and dressage getting them off the forehand and using their HQ's to take the weight.

Yes there are some amazing ones out there. And of course this is JMO. Just as you wouldn't be looking at a flash moving WB to do reining, western pleasure or chasing cows.

There are lots of different ASH's around now - my girl is 16.2, strong build with lots of bone and has an amazing temperament - quiet and straightforward like a QH but still a bit of go from the TB. No she will never get to the top of any english discipline, but she does alright. She has polo X'd, camp drafted, jumped, dressaged, trailed etc. She's no world beater but I believe shows the true ideal of the ASH - breed for every need.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  2. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Not at all.....its the "great grandson who is out of a half sister to a 3/4 brother of that good horse"........lololol

Pedigrees so far removed from the tree that they are in the neighbours place!

3. KC Quarter Horses

KC Quarter Horses Gold Member

Gee that sounds like someone I know LMAO

Wasn't much of a packing line really, maybe an apple tree might have been more suitable if you are really trying to have a dig at someone.....which of course you were.

4. PPH

PPH Guest

Huey's registration is pending, waiting on his and his dams DNA tests, my fault not BH's. His sire has no AQHA points but had numerous wins and placings in non-pro snaffle bit cutting, which can be veiwed on the just cutting website. I never bothered to get them on his aqha record but he still did it. His grandsire Hootchy kootchy Man,(imp/exp/dec) and Hootchy Kootchy Kid, also by HKM, are both well performed in cutting and reining respectivley.

Regards Kylie

5. KC Quarter Horses

There are plenty of QH's that do well in english discipline's, it just depends what you train them for. My boy is great at dressage and jumping, because that's what I did with him. Its just people have preconceived ideas on what they can and can't do.

WP is a disapline that really needs to be bred for to succeed in though....just because its a QH doesnt mean it will pleasure well. My boy would win more in dressage than a pleasure class and I prefer dressage to WP.

I think it depends on whether you want to get to the top of a field or have fun at a variety of things. Most people who go to the expence of buying a WB do so with the intent in doing well in english displines, where people buy QH's to have a go at all sorts of things and some buy particularly for a specific displine and then that QH is bred to exceed in that disapline.

While some Qh's are down hill and some are heavy on the forehand many are not and many naturally work of the HQ.

The first time I ever felt true collection was having a dressage lesson with Liz Tollarzo riding my QH stallion....a real light bulb moment for me :)

That said we have owned a couple of awesome ASH's as well and know some pretty awesome appys, so each to their own. :) A good horse is a good horse regardless of breed

6. dakota95

dakota95 Active Member

I have a QH mare I do everything on. She is truly an allrounder, but she loves jumping the most (shame i suck at it lol).

Shes 15 and going strong and I always get comments on how stout she is, however she is sort of jack of all trades master of none. Too fast for western, to slow for english :p

I love the fact that she is western trained because I can bomb around on the XC course knowing that a quick "whoa" will always bring me to a quick stop :p

She does well at PC and if I was interested in eventing she would be perfect for most of the lower grades. I'm not sure how high she could go, but a friend has jumped her up to 1.20 and she cleared it easily but I doubt she could go around a SJ course doing that height ever.

We have a love/hate relationship because although she is great at most things and puts up with my mistakes/shortcomings she can be quite mare-ish sometimes. She self loads but there will always be that 1/100, "I've never seen a float before, i'm not going on that" sort of thing"
    But she has absolutely no bolt/buck/kick/rear/bite.

Because I really want to do western I have a youngster I am training up and he is definately more the "long and low" steady type needed for WP and other western events.

Sorry If i blathered but thats my 2c :)

7. Yarrabah Quarter Horses

Yarrabah Quarter Horses Well-known Member

Thanks Lollipop we are very happy with our boy and what he has produced and his babies have done exceptionally well at halter and are only just under saddle. Things take time and we are looking forward to their futures under saddle.

Here are a couple of our boy Charlie who has competed in halter, WP, Trail and HUS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotta love the QH's and their temperament they are a bit like pringles once you pop you can't stop :D and so many different types to choose from.

Regards = Sue

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

But conformation and movement has everything to do with it ;) They are bred for something totally different and will always struggle more with it than a horse that is purpose bred for dressage, for eg.

Yep and I bought my stock horse with the same intent pretty much, but her lack of natural talent for dressage of course causes us some issues, and I am realistic in knowing she will never get past a certain point. I have to remember that this isn't what she is bred or built to do. I can only imagine that issue would be amplified if you were going pure QH. Of course I have many more options with her, including a talent for jumping so I don't mind :)

Yep **)

To be honest the only QH that I can think of on this forum that would certainly hold his own in any english discipline in Davracs stallion that Lena bred.

I know there are a few QH x's doing exceptionally well in jumping in the state.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
  9. PPH

PPH Guest

yup, as you all know, i'm another die hard fan of the QH
    Good to see you have you head screwed on right Lauren ;)
    I love them for their versatility and laid back tempers but find they have plenty of power to burn when you need it to.
    Depending on your money situation, how long you want to wait before riding and what you want to do when you do ride, it may be that buying an older, educated horse is a more feasible option than buying a youngster.

Anyway, heres a few pics of my feral bunch. Hope your bored lol
    First up, my 2 babies for this year (one still due in Dec).
    Goose, now nearly 3 months old and going dark liver chestnut like his old man.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and still yet to be named, little fella, 1 and a half weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. PPH

PPH Guest

My main man Lynx Little Commando. Lynx has competed and earned points with the AQHA under the events of campdrafting, halter, champion halter stallion and reseve halter stallion, dressage, hacking, hunter hack, hunter under saddle, non pro cutting, reining, trail, western pleasure, western riding and working cowhorse and has his ROMS in halter,campdrafting and general performance. I have also dabbled in endurance and team penning with him, which he took in his stride.
    absolutley love this horse to bits.
    Collie reining, my second show.
    [​IMG]
    Wellard campdraft, equal third in the top 20 Cut Out Shoot Out.
    [​IMG]
    Campdrafting
    [​IMG]
    Silver spurs snaffle Bit Cutting 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. PPH

PPH Guest

Huey's dam SOQ Spicey Priority, grandaughter of One scotch delight on her dam's side.
    Spice was originaly chocolate brown but greyed right out. She went hi point filly 1 year and under 2003/04 with the WAQHA before she severed her extensor tendon on one or her hind legs.
    Dam of PPH solid Priority and Paralna Hooch Hefner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PPH Solid Priority (Three Solid bars x SOQ Spicey Priority)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JJ, Gooses Mum.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. PPH

PPH Guest

Docs gaye finale, 18 yo mare, dam of the little fella.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Huey's dad, Hootchy's Playboy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. PPH

PPH Guest

Paralna Hootch Hefner as a bub
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a cple more of lynx in his younger years back east.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
  14. nklpark

nklpark Well-known Member

15. KC Quarter Horses

Not sure how you can come to that opinion when that horse is only just broken in and yet there are at least 4 QH stallions mentioned here that are all trained in dressage and do it well,not to mention geldings and mares, but unless Davrac does dressage one will never know LOL.

Some Qh's may struggle with some of the movements but many do it with ease. Just like some WP with ease and others struggle.

It also depends on who is riding the horse and their skill level. While I have put lots of buttons on my boy, put a really good rider on him and he is seriously impressive and they are much easier to deal with and train from the beginning than warmbloods. As I have both I have had to learn the different ways of the breeds :)

16. smash

smash Well-known Member

i just spend 3 days at a QH championship.
    my eyes are still bleeding at what i saw !!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Go the Distance

Go the Distance Well-known Member

I agree with B&T about Davrac's lovely stallion being able to do dressage. He is less compact than the older style QH and has a lovely length of leg on him. With the stronger TB influence through him from Three Solid Bars he is a very agile looking horse. Three Solid Bars is throwing some great horses and they are only just getting old enough to be ridden and prove themselves.

Give a young stallion a break KC he is only just starting to prove himself with progeny of a rideable age. I would love to eventually see some of his progeny eventing as I think they would be very good at it.

Paralna I looove your Solid Priority. If my Coliban Solid Metal turns out anything like him I will be stoked. How old is Priority? By the way all of your horses are gorgeous and it is great to see them doing so many different things. Shows how versatile they are.

18. lollipop

lollipop Active Member

Oh Go The Distance, Davracs horse is loveley and Coliban should be so happy breeding such quality stock.:)) It is very refreshing seeing such versatile looking QH's I myself just love the traditional cow horses but they are very limited as to what they are able to perform well at except cutting.;)

I must say if I was looking for a versatile, strong, good looking horse I would be straight in the car to Coliban's and they all look such a picture of health and well fed contentment. **)

Paralna your grey mare looks sweet as does the Three Solid Bars gelding, he has great bone and wonderful feet unlike most QH's. I have always had a bit of a thing for a grey! (Not sure why it's such a troublesome colour.)*#)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  19. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I agree Lollipop....

Unfortunately I will always hold the opinion that if the genetics are readily available why bother retaining the nuts........horses who have a concentration of blood percentage would fall into this catergory.....they are not easily obtained except from breeders who's program is centred on that......

Other entires unless they do something out of the box are just apples on a big tree. And this is where the mediocre breeding mediocre begins.

20. PPH

PPH Guest

Thanks GTD
    Jake, as he is known is the first foal i bred and Spice, to my understanding, was the first outside mare to go to Three Solid Bars so he would be going on 6 I think.

I love the that Lynx is so versatile and such a pleasure to take out and do things with. and it's how I expect all my horses to be. Well mannered, good tempered veratile horses that can perform wherever you want them to.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010