Quarter Horses

Discussion in 'Breeding Horses' started by Lauren, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Little???:blink::blink::D

2. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

My retired mare Shanti. In a 7 acre paddock in Capel on grass and hay only.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When she was riding sound she was a great pleasure horse could ride her in the estuary, take her to the beach, trail rides, dressage clinic and even give the toddlers a ride!

Dressage clinic
    [​IMG]

Beach
    [​IMG]

Sandra's Lil Helper
    [​IMG]

Pleasure/flat work
    [​IMG]

3. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Oh yes, forgot about the size of the mare I chose to put to Blu :blink:

Looking forward to meeting Blu and AM and the rest of the crew in September :))

4. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Shanti's a lovely old girl Wawa :)

5. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Oops sorry for the photo sizes doing this from my phone so can't edit the photo size.

And more...
    Teaching a first timer.
    [​IMG]

Bridle less riding
    [​IMG]

Estuary riding
    [​IMG]

Pony rides
    [​IMG]

6. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

She's only 13! Retired due to tendon injury/arthritis in her off knee and suspected arthritis in her hocks. Fat n happy as a paddock puff now.

7. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

I love Shanti Wawa :) She is so lucky to have you :)*

Out of curiosity (and I'm sure you would have done it) have you ever had a dentist confirm her age? Such a shame that she's unsound at such a young age.

Anymore photos? I still most definitely have a soft spot for the QH's :) Awesome feet, usually good doers & so chunky.

8. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

Yep she had her teeth done when she was at Wattle's and dentist confirmed her age at the time as 11.

9. Lucksta

Lucksta Well-known Member

Presumed you would have.. just would make more sense if she was older. Very lucky she has someone willing to pay for her retirement :)

10. wawa85

wawa85 Guest

I suspect she was used heavily in cutting before I owned her and that they knew she had arthritis which was the reason why she was sent to Mundi. I don't regret buying her despite this and she will always be my heart horse. Really enjoyed cuddles with her last weekend :)

I'd definitely own another QH.

11. InkibahD

InkibahD Well-known Member

I had a question for coliban about QH height.....
    Now i have my suspicions that these days people are breeding alot of big ones but im just wondering if thats the case?.......

My boy is measured at 16.1hh however his arse is the same height as my 16.2 TB... Its just hes doesnt have a giant whither like the TB (still an uphill horse tho)
    Now no one belives me that hes a QH.....
    so im wondering are there a decent proporton of QH that are tall like him or is he really an anomalie?
    I belive his dad is the same height maybe taller (One scotch delight)

12. I look at my horses (who are big and tall:)*) every day. To me they are a normal occurence, certainly not an anomalie! Can't comment on others.:)

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I remember seeing Scotch many years ago.....yes he was big (and handsome) but I don't know if I thought "tall" when I saw him. It was when he was at Yarramalong. Guess he was tallish - I just remember thinking "Wow, how nice is that grey".

14. InkibahD:D
    I was also going to say that I haven't seen real tall progeny by OSD:D, but I live in WA so there weren't many horses sired by him here.
    Do you know that he sired a Super Horse ( also a grey:D) prior to be imported to Australa?

15. Troppo

Troppo Well-known Member

There is a OSD gelding up here and he is very big. He stands at around 15.3 (not hugely tall but big enough) and is very chunky. He is a lovely boy, but too big for my liking, he finds it very hard in the small arena's to barrel race due to his size.

16. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Considering OSD is a halter horse it's hardly a surprise...

We have a OSD mare here, she doesn't seem that huge & she's very solid... I love her :wub:

17. InkibahD

Yeah he was bred over east and brought over to WA when he was like 3....he was not expected to grow as tall as he did... hence why ive got him just too tall roping and really to tall and lazy for barrel racing (thats was what mum had planned for him)
    so now hes my lazy eventer...LOL

saying that though now hes had all the dressage work required to get him to prelim/pre nov eventing i was mucking around the other week and he can turn around a drum pretty well these days.... but hes a bit of a slow learner... LOL im not sure if he picked that up from one of his parents or hes just "special"

But was just wondering if there are many 61.1hh QH around in WA? when u say big and tall coliban? how big?

and just coz people like pics :)

This is him when he was 4
    [​IMG]

The rest are out eventing lat year at age 8

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  18. In my honest opinion 15.2hh (true height) is reasonably tall for a QH.:D
    Majority of our yearlings are over 14hh, our 2 yo are over 15hh (give or take).
    The tallest horses we bred were Extreme Desire (mare over 16.1) and Coliban Solid Gold, measured at 16.2hh as a 4yo and still growing.
    The horses we produce have lots of height, bone and body. They have big tough feet as well**) to carry themselves and a rider.
    When people come to our farm they all comment on their size and condition:p, so I take it they don't see that very often.
    lena

19. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

The AQHA Standard of Excellence has the QH at between 14.2hh-15.2hh. **)

20. InkibahD

Thanks guys you have been very helpful :)