Quantity of horses and water supply

Discussion in 'Horse Management' started by burly, Feb 21, 2014.

1. burly

burly New Member

Hi, Hope I'm in the right area with this.
    Just curious about how many horses are ok on certain sizes of paddock.
    I agist and have two horses in the same 12acre paddock, there were 4 others in with them but now a total of 10 horses are in there. Feed on the ground is sort of ok at the moment but I would imagine with our perth weather and that many horse that it will dwindle even quicker now. Whats the standard rule of thumb when it comes to the quantity of stock?

Also 10 horses in this heat are going to consume a lot of water. There are two baths, one is elevated to run off into the bottom bath, but its not auto water, no float etc. It only fills when bore is manually switched on. Are two bath tubs enough water for 10 horses on hot days and warm nights over a 24 hour period as there have been times when one bath has been completely empty and the 2nd one a couple of inches of water in it. Ive been checking and filling every afternoon but cant be there twice a day.

Would love to have a real rant but will leave it at this lol
    Cheers

2. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Can help you with the second part!
    We have two paddocks of racehorses, 9 in one and 10 in the other. The paddock with 10 in it, has a bath tub and four half blue bins, I'd estimate about 500L all up! These are done every morning and topped up at night if required. Without being topped up, there is generally about a third of the bathtub left by the next morning. So they probably drink about 450L.

In the paddock with 9 horses, we have 4 blue bins, so about 320L, these have once or twice not been topped up at night and have been bone dry in the mornings.

I'd try and allow at least 50L per horse per day.. some drink more, some less. My 4 horses drink 2 blue bins between them in 24hrs.

3. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

2 of our horses paddocked together are pretty much leaving about 6inches of water in a full bath tub from 8-6.

The pony by herself drinks about 1/4 of a bathtub and the other two together are drinking about 1/2 a bath tub.

I would say 2 bath tubs is no where near enough

4. South Boulder Boy

South Boulder Boy Well-known Member

Two baths are not enough if they only get filled once a day. We fill our waters 3 times a day in this weather, your situation would require at least twice a day preferably 3 times.

5. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

How big is a standard bath tub? Ours is about 250L..

6. burly

burly New Member

Standard bath tub is between 250 - 270 litres.

Its a bit concerning :(

7. myyky

myyky Well-known Member

Do you have the option of adding one or two blue bins out there?

8. manocaaron

manocaaron Well-known Member

I have two full size and one pony in one of my paddocks and they go through bath tub every day...it gets filled once a day and that seems fine at the moment for them, but I couldn't leave it any longer.
    in another paddock I have a mare and foal and theirs gets filled every second day, and another paddock with two horses and an emu and they seem to go through about a half a tub a day.... so I guess each horse varies as to how much they will drink.
    10 horses and two tubs is not enough at all.

its also too many in a 12 acre paddock at this time of the year. you could get away with it in winter but not summer. the ground will turn to complete sand and then nothing will grow much winter or not. they are effectively ruining their own property and it will be very expensive to rehabilitate the ground afterwards. this time next year I doubt they will be able to sustain more than two horses and the following summer.....none.

9. Skittled

Skittled Well-known Member

Stocking rates for horses varies depending on what sort of country you have, how long the horses are on the pasture for, type of pasture, etc etc. The department of ag has information on how to calculate stocking rates if you are interested. The general range is 1-3 acres per horse. Agreed with manocaaron, 10 horses is way too many.