Q about how u get a colour?

Discussion in 'Colour Questions' started by cruisecontrol, Oct 13, 2011.

1. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Well-known Member

Dumb question probably to a lot but I'm curious as to how colour genetics work.
    I have a gelding who I've been told is a qhx sire pally qh dam tb (apparently old owner is going off what she was originally told by who she bought horse off) he is either a cremello or a perlino (won't know til I get a colour test done sorry no pics yet)
    My question is how do you get a cremello and/or perlino? Are both parents dilutes (pally etc) or dilute crossed with a solid? And is it even possible to get a cremello/perlino qhx?
    Thanks in advance

2. samm

samm Gold Member

Cremello is a double dilute of chestnut ,perlino of bay.
    So both parents would need to be a single dilute or a double dilute themselves to get a perlino or a cremello.
    Perlinos will quite often have greeny/bluey eyes instead of the ice blue and will have spots in them.

The tb parent may be NSB .

3. cruisecontrol

Thanks Samm, he has blue eyes that do have flecks in them but theyre not greeny at all.
    So what exactly is a single dilute? A pally? So you can get a crem/perl from a dilute crossed with a solid?
    Sorry if it sounds silly but I have absolutely no clue about this stuff!

4. samm

samm Gold Member

Single dilute is Pali,Buckskin or smokey black.
    Double dilute Perlino ,Bucky and Smokey Cream.
    One copy of the dilution gene(cream) gives single dilute(ie Pali etc) ,two copies double dilute(ie perlino etc)Remember the foal gets a colour gene from each of its parents.
    Think of it as starting with red cordial then adding more and more water.

Then you have dilution genes that aren't cream.

5. mineees

mineees Gold Member

you can only get a perlino or cremello from two dilute parents.ie; pally,buckskin,cremello or perlino.what colour is your guy?and what colour were parents?:)

6. If the mare was a TB I don't think he is a double dilute.
    A good tip to tell a perlino from a cremello is to check for yellowish/ brownish specks on the blue background of an eye. The older a perlino is the more yellow specks in the eye it will have.
    Cremellos seem to have clearer blue eyes.

7. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

I had a cremello shetland, he was by a cremello out of a smokey black mare :).

8. ArabAtHeart

ArabAtHeart Well-known Member

To get a cremello or perlino, you need to have 2 copies of the creme gene. So both parents would need to have at least 1 copy.

Colours that carry 1 copy are palomino, buckskin and smokey black.
    Colours that carry 2 coppies are cremello (on a chestnut base), perlino (on a bay base) and smokey creme (on a black base).

If your horse is double dilute, is doubtful that his dam is TB. Creme does come in TB's but it's not too common in Australia yet. It is however quite common in QH's. It's definitely possible to have a cremello/perlino QH X.

I'd love to see pictures!

9. cruisecontrol

Thanks guys AAH I will post some piccies sat or sun night he is in need of a wash cos at the moment he looks like a really grotty grey lol :)

ETA Mineees he is either cremello or perlino

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011