Pulling back

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by horsegirl, Feb 23, 2003.

1. horsegirl

horsegirl Well-known Member

Okay guys, I have just spent the last 4 hours washing, trimming, and generally cleaning up my 2 boys after not riding since August and only handling them to put them out in the paddocks and bring them in at night. The problem now seems to be that Torkhan has forgotten what "a bath" is!! I have had cross-ties to use for the last 2 years, and now I don't, and all he did was walk right and left and pulled back and broke free 5 times and escaped once (good job I keep all the gates closed), he has never pulled back before, he will raise his head so I can't reach his face, but not like this. When I wanted to spray his mane and tail, he broke free, when I wanted to wash his face, he broke free, when I wanted to wash the conditioner out of his mane, he pulled back, got tangled in the hose (yeah that was my fault), broke free and did laps around the stable complex with bubbles flying everywhere!!! He usually loves a bath and a trim, he used to always go to sleep, do you think he was just being a dick or that after being in the cross-ties and not being able to move, now he can so he does? Anyone got any ideas on what I should do? Do I build a cross-tie or teach him to behave!!! (good luck!!!)

2. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I know of a friend that used to have the same problem with her horse. What she was told to do (and it did work) was to attach an old car tyre to a sturdy fixed post and then attach to the tyre some old baling twine. Tie the horse to that and if it pulls back and breaks the twine tie 2 pieces of baling twine to the tyre and tie the lead rope to that.If it breaks that tie on to 3 pieces of twine. The theory is that each time an extra twine is added it takes more of a pull to break the twine. My friends mare gave up after about the 4th piece of twine. The tyre gives abit so it's abit less severe when they do pull back. I've never tried this myself as I rarely have to tie my horses up, but as long as you have your horse in a safe and secure area it could be worth a try. Or failing that try to keep him occupied by giving him a haynet tied up near the wash bay as you wash him. When ever I wash my horses I always start with the hose running slowly and I start on their legs. I think it's normal for a horse to dislike having it's face washed! I always do this without restraining them too much I just put the leadrope under my foot.Hope this gives you afew ideas!

Ali

3. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

ali, do you mean the tyre or inner tube of the tyre?
    I taught my filly to tie up by using a tyre tube (it stretches well)

:) Nikiwink :)

4. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

My friend used an old tyre but I guess either would work as they'd both have abit of give in them.

Ali

5. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

I find if they havent been handled for a while, especially during summer, there goes the manners (with tb's) and just want to go back to the paddock (dont want to go to school after being in disney land). A week of regular handling should bring him back to normal. If not then you many have to look into alternatives.

-bec-

6. The Old Grey Mare

The Old Grey Mare Active Member

i have taught my horse to tie up with a solid rope, so that pulling back is not an option. have seen too many horses get loose after breaking the twine. she has only pulled back once & it happened to be my best rope, naturally.

7. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

try tieing an inner tube to you tie up rail and tie your lead straight to that, it has a bit of give in it, but wont break and shouldnt break your lead. The other thing you could try is when your horse breaks free give him a scare with something. We had a mare that used to do that, we tied her to a tie up rail thatw e didnt realise at the time would break if she pulled on it. So she pulled back, the pole snapped off, she was still tied up to the pole but scared herself and ran off doen the paddock with the rail banging on the back of her legs, she nevr pulled back again.

8. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

Anther idea, while your horse is being tied up after a long break, try giving her a small amount of food, like a hay net or a scoop of charf etc. just to keep the focus on you, not what the other horses are doing out in the paddock

-bec-

9. naj

naj New Member

if ya orse is a real stubborn buga get a bit of soft rope make sure ya on a soft surface and just have it gently hanging around his bum if he pulls back he gets suprised by the rope around his bum ( like the lunge rope float loading trick) and stops or if he pulls back make him back up until he wants to go forward again

10. Tam

Tam Well-known Member

Horses pull back for a number of reasons. The most common and probably the most obvious is that the horse does not know how to yield/ give to pressure so when they feel some pressure, opposition reflex takes over and they pull back without thinking. Parelli games and any kind of groundwork help- get a long rope and walk around a tree with your horse on the other side. Put pressure on the rope until the horse begins to walk around the tree towards you, release instantly so that this becomes the best option- following the feel. Excercises like this help alot! I also never tie my horse when washing their head cos they are always going to put there head up anyway. However this is easier for me as I use a 12 foot lead and pressure/ parelli halter. He is probably a little rusty from his break too! GOOD LUCK