pulling back when tied up??

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Skittle, Oct 20, 2008.

1. jodie

jodie Well-known Member

With my old horse I use to load him and take off his lead rope. He floated best if he had minimal restraint (no head tying and divider pulled across). My new girl was tied solid when she was taught to float train but I have been naughty and tie her to twine in case anything happens. I have seen sick horses that have gone down in a float come in hanging from their head collar because they were tied solid.

2. painter

painter Well-known Member

Thats really interesting. It never occured to me that people wouldn't tie up in a float (although I can see why).

But, if you are not tying purely for safety in case of a float rollover, isn't it more probable that a horse will spook/twist its neck/get its head stuck under the chest rail/try to turn around/do something stupid that could otherwise be prevented if the horse was tied, compared to the risk of a float rollover where the horse needs to be freed?

I've also consciously tied to twine using a web halter (both of which would break if the horse really freaks), I guess I've done that assuming that once the horse is free of the pressure the freak out usually settles.

I'm not trying to start an arguement, just trying to work out which is the safest way to float my horse!

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

The safest way to float a horse is not float one....LOLOL

Each horse is different and each owner is different.....some tie some don't, some tie solid some tie to break........doing it in a horse float is going to throw up just as many ways, and all will be valid. WHY? Because each owner will do what they know is the best way to float their particular horse.....
    Offering suggestions is just that......they are posting alternative ways that each person has used or is using......one or none will be perfect for your horse.

Regardless, horses being the beasts they are, and nature being what it is, and fate liking to throw a spanner in the mixture means no matter how you approach something, no matter how careful, or prepared, if its going to happen it will!!

All you can do is do things the way you have always done (within reason) that suit your horse and its individual nature.....and hope and pray that each float trip will be a safe one. Lets face it it's not natural to transport a horse in a trailer, you are relying on the horse/s standing quietly the whole trip, no road disasters and no car malfunctions......when you get home safely after a trip, look up and say "Thank you Lord"!!!!!!! :))

4. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

how philosophical EVP.Nearly got goosebumps!!! ...but quite true anyway.Cheers to different strokes for different folks & their horsies.**)

5. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Now that is very well put.

Hate floats have seen horses with there heads hanging over the tail gate:confused:mind you that way they don't see out of those huge glass or per speck fronts, don't have to duck or shake when a truck seemingly to us is going past but to them eek its a head on.

Just love our truck that way they see the trees go past:)

:))

6. Wobbles

Wobbles Active Member

Hi, Is there any chance someone can please pm me a trainer who deals with tieing up ? Thanks :D

7. Chinga Is My Boy

Chinga Is My Boy New Member

*Begale I edited it*

On the why do people use Bailing Twine topic awhile back:

Horses freak, all horses freak. No matter how bomb-proof or darling a horse is it can still freak at something. The bailing twine reduces the chances, from pulling back and hurting themselfs from the sudden pull when they freak. But not nesseseryly from tripping over the lead rope.

At my riding stable, we use bailing twine on all the horses. Even the perfectly well behaved school horses. Well not perfect nothing is perfect.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  8. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

We tried something new last time we tied our 'puller' mare for the farrier.....when she pulled back she got the biggest whack on the arse and 3 people roared at her. Her eyes near popped in fright, she leaped forward, tried it once again for the same whack and then promptly stood there pretending to be terrified.....lolol Then she turned her head around, eyed balled all of us and chewed contentedly.

Cow!

We fully expect she'll do it again.....and this is a mare that was hauled around the country and campaigned......whatever is going on in her head I don't give two flying figs....but figure she got the bailing twine treatment at the breeding facility and now thinks thats the norm....next time she does it I'll be there with my whacker!

Cow!

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

when tie training my filly to got a thin rope to fashion a bum rope for her. Put it on over her back and tied it just a little shorter then the ordinary lead. So when she went to go backward just as her nose started to feel the lead the bumrope took up tension. She only tried it out a few tiems. I never had trouble with her.

However I have seen two hroses there got their necks broken by being tied hard to a pole adn the pole being beaten to force them to pull back.

I tie to twine if I have to. Prefer to ground tie a horse but it all depends on the situation.

11. ASH lover

ASH lover Well-known Member

Yeah, I certainly think that trying to make the horse pull back is a bad idea - leave them long enough and they will try it in their own sweet time - and will not already be in a state of panic to make matters worse.Horses are not stupid, let them work it out for themselves -
    And I agree beagle bale twine does nothing to stop them panic but teaches the horse that they get rewarded for pulling back....escape...and they learn that they can do it over and over. There are going to be the odd times when a well tie trained horse panics when tied up but if they know they can't get away they normally stop pulling pretty damn quick.

12. sil

sil Gold Member

I tie all my horses solid, can't be stuffed chasing them around the property if they get loose!

But on the float I always tie to twine, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a horse to deal with its claustrophobia AND tie perfectly, if something happens.

13. Anna E

Anna E Guest

I think Sil has hit the nail on the head.. I teach my horses to tie up solid - and they always are at home (generally to a foot wide whitegum strainer post with a few bags of cement in the base ;)).
    When we are out however and there is any doubt about whether the tie up point would hold them in a serious panic attack, I tie to twine. I think the point here is that they are LESS LIKELY to break the twine because they have been brainwashed into thinking they are tied solid at all times. On more than one occasion I have had horses start to pull back on twine and then stop at the first pressure on their head, because they THINK it's not going to work. So teaching a horse to tie solid at home also results in a safer horse out and about, not because of what you tie them to, but because of the training.
    By the way, at endurance rides you CANNOT tie to the float. You have to have yards. I would so like to see this be the rules at other events as well. Problems of loose horses cut by at least 50% I reckon.

14. sparkie

sparkie Well-known Member

i agree sil. i did come a cross a lady having the same problem and no matter what the horse would try and try agian even when tied solid and it would fight so hard then just really make a bit of a mess of itself and yeh it was done correctly the horse dis settle after a while but it only did it when it realised it was tied and found the pressure...i found that when a horse is at this stage that you need to do the right ground work first to teach it "give" if a horse doesnt give to you and doesnt lead correctly working on this before solid tying can help dramatically the it then becomes almost second nature for the horse to release to the pressure.... this thread is a good one and it is a simple one that so many people tend to stress out as much as their horse when they see it struggle trying to get away from solid tying....like someone had said earlier "somethime you just got to be cruel to be kind".

cheers :)

15. Fire n gold1

Fire n gold1 Active Member

my friend was telling about how her horse pulls back 24/7 and then one day she tried her to a solid short and she was pulling back and throwing herself around but then she got over herself and now is perfect! sounds a lil cruel but it works and face it, some horses doo need to get ova themselves !!

hope it helps a lil
    fire n gold1 :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  16. Mardi

Mardi Active Member

My boy is a bit naughty and pulls back every now and then :mad:

I have now got a thingy called a blocker which I carry around in my float and thats whats he's now tied to. When he pulls the lead rope feeds through so instead of pulling and theres that resistance and all hell breaks loose he pulls but lead rope feeds through the blocker and presto he stops pulling **)

You can do different tying techniques which gradually adds more resistance to the lead rope.