pulling back when tied up??

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Skittle, Oct 20, 2008.

1. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

Well then why are you bothering to agree with GeeJay and Saltriver if you are horrified about what "damage" can be done to tying to something solid?? This is what they are recommending!

If you are having trouble with the escavator you better have a go at Shmoo's horse truck as well!

2. I never said I disagreed with "something solid!" if your going to quote me,at least do it properly! I agree with geejay,and saltrivers SAFE hard tying methods, I do not think it is safe to tie a horse to an excavator because it is a solid object!
    Those I agreed with are not suggesting to tie to such an object.it is machinery with a multitude of bits and peices sticking out all over the place the horse could injure itself on.
    A horse truck has provisions for a horse to be tied to it I beleive.
    You stick to your twine,hopefully no one will be killed by your terrified horse when it gets loose!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2008
  3. retroremedy

What?? So it is unsafe to tie to "solid objects"....what is a tree then? Is that not a solid object? An escavator bucket has not more bits and pieces hanging off it than a tree has branches or a horse truck has wheels/edges etc. You havent even seen the escavator so how you can comment!!???

I am not a pro-twine person at all......we are actually having a sensible discussion about tying solid or tying with twine and why people do either.

4. And I can only imagine the damage a horse that bolts off, breaking the twine at a show could do to your kids if you have any:D
    lena

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

Right said Fred cool it

What it all boils down is educating a horse properly from the start, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, but you can get those stubborn sods one day they will next day they won’t, so however hard you try there will always be that time and that doubt.

Dare I say it but the worst we dealt with were OTTTB, the best we dealt with were our own and the ones or Farrier halter trained who would go around and to the job properly for people, so if you can’t do it right pay someone that little bit for a life time of peace of mind.

I have heard of electric fences been placed behind them, so they hit it when they pull back, crap for sure.

You have to have a trust and understanding and a whole lot of patience and great deal of common sense (What happened to Common Sense)

Anyway we have found the high line works as they have a certain amount of flex in the rope as they are able to move around and they are also clear of offending objects, it may be in a circle but they still have that movement, then when we are happy we proceed to the hitching rail and so on. We have left a horse tied up all day, when we go out mustering and camp they are tied all night, its not hard to find a tree, but make sure its a strong one**).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you do have the bad old dog invest in a set of good portable yards you can get some really good ones now.

Anyway that’s it for me time out:))

:)

6. Excuse me colibanqh, I dont tie with twine,ever.#(
    Where exactly on the escavator do you tie it coliban? do you have a picture??

Solid doesnt mean safe! you are deliberately twisting what I said retroremedy.
    of course I agreed with tying to solid objects! SAFE ones!!
    not bloody excavators!!
    you should be careful of your words retroremedy, young people might think something is safe simply because its "solid" and tie their horse to it!

Horse trucks are designed so horses can be tied safely ,as are hitching posts.

7. retroremedy

Great post GeeJay, great detailed photos and everything! :)*

Rightsaidfred.....I guess all I can say is goodbye.

8. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I've seen the high tie methods at a few places....I love the holes some of them wear....LOL We got out of our car to see a mare I had bought....all I could see was this pale white maned pony tied to an aerial.....we looked up and down the breezeway until the owner appeared.

"Hey guys you're here already"....
    "Yeah, was an easy trip, so where is our new girl?"
    "Thats her tied to the high wire"
    "What the pony?"
    "Hahahahaha she's no pony she's standing in a high wire ditch"

Yep she was close to 15hh!!

Can I ask what happens if those horse rear up when tied to the high line? Can they or do they get their legs over the lead rope?

Apart from what they do can someone explain the difference between an excavator, a gooseneck, horse truck, large tree, float or side of the change rooms? They all sound "solid" to me.....lolol

2 of our mares tied all their lives.....hauled all over the place, competed, broken and trained by the best.......ah but they love their little pull back routine, they love getting yelled at and the whoosh of the long stick as it pokes their bums.....its a game called "Pull-back Party"......you pull back, lean, get sweaty, scare your owner, jump forward and go to sleep.

Its the horse version of Twister.

Hey when you have "guests" can you turn off the beer and put the dip away and call them a taxi?

9. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Gee thats a good one......some horse trucks have seen far better days.....and some floats are worse. Safe? 100%

Fred you better get out more!!

Send out a few PM's.....I believe Brucey (who got repeatedly banned from here) is looking for new recruits, you might just be able to slip right in and knock BM out of the 2nd in charge position.....LOL

Sharaway can you show "Fred" where to sign up.....lololol

10. FDPH

FDPH Guest

let's get down to a few basic things, if a horse is taught to yield to pressure,and the horse has been taught that he can not only disengage his hindquarter but also disengage his front end then he should never pull back unless someone/thing frightens him whether he is tied to an excavator, hire wire, float or the moon! older horse generally pull back because A/ the above, no one has ever taught them to disengage their feet, or because b/ they have had a win, broken some twine . people its not a game to horses neither is it fun when they break their necks. the thing is it's not rocket science but believe me it should have a degree.

11. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Well well well, what a " nice guest" we had here, needs no introduction for sure lol. ;)
    Since when are horse trucks safer than an excavator to tie a horse on???
    They wont move the truck, they wont move the excavator, both solid objects, right lol? Is tying a horse to a solid object safe? I think it's safer than tying it to a haystring, if they can't get away most of them give up, at least the ones with a brain lol. :D :)) A loose horse at a show is not my favorite thing...

12. Shmoo

Shmoo Well-known Member

If I'm not at home I have my truck, instant tie up spot. My horses never leave home without it;)
    I also wouldn't put myself in a position to be caught out but if for some reason it ever did come up I would cross that bridge then...Luckily I've been doing this a few (well more then a few!) years now and it's has never happened.:))

13. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

In the photo the horses are tied pretty long, for a horse just learning you would have them shorter, we have never had a horse put its leg over the rope.

Even so it can happen but it would be just the same or worse if the were tied to a post, truck, or whatever. The most important thing is to have them tied high, I have seen so many tied at chest height, this way most of the injuries happen as they are able to get the full force in the pull. Having them high there heads are up which takes out that backward force.

For a horse that digs dare I say it but we would put hobbles on till they learnt to stand, but never leave them un supervised.

I remember at a show I had my big TB on the tie line, it was his first show and at first he was a pain, but then he got bored lay down had a role and went to sleep. I can always remember this girl screaming HELP that horse it did make me laugh.

PS often with the really stubborn hangers my partner would use his big horse, he would have his Stocksaddle with the horn, the offending horse in tow all he would say to his horse was pull and they soon learnt to move forward, as the harder they pulled back the harder he went forward. I have heard in some places they use Mules for this and you can't shift them LOL

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
  14. retroremedy

I dont think it would happen Shmoo as you sound way too organised & thoughtful!! :))

15. painter

painter Well-known Member

I believe in tying solid, but have seen horses destroy supposedly 'solid' hitching posts/rails and cart it around at a blind panic, so unless I had made the post with concrete etc myself, I won't solid tie but either wrap the lead rope around the post multiple times, no knot, and don't leave the horse, or use the dreaded twine and don't leave the horse.

But for those that have horses that pull back *and* twine tie, what do you do when floating the horse? I havn't had a horse freak out when floating thankfully, but what would be more dangerous in a float, a loose horse or a freaking out horse that is solid tied to the welded tie rings?

16. Trojane

Trojane Well-known Member

Gosh - who ties up inside the float? I leave the leadrope slung over his neck on short rides or loop it through a twine hitch inside the float on long rides, just to keep it out of the way. Will I go to hell for this?*#)

17. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

i've heard some people say that they believe tying up in float dangerous in case of float roll over/accident.if you've got good horses,like yours trojane & mine (i reckon) then there's no need to tie i spose.when i do tie to stop 'em niggling at each other i tie to solid welded point.gelding tends to undo self anyway.:))

18. Eoroe

Eoroe Gold Member

I tie up in the float - just for the fact of curious minds getting into trouble when wanting to look behind, and unbalanceing, then getting a fright.
    Also even with a mesh barrier, Ive had a mare - silly filly she was - turn her head round to look behind, then get stuck. and was VERY close to a very freaky panick.
    And another situation Ive encountered is with horses harrasing each other.
    I tie to a inner tube secytion, has a little give, but enought strenght. (I also keep a VERY sharp pair of scissors, or knife handy whenever I tie up - just incase it gets out of hand and need release)
    Then they are aways untied before any unloading action even starts as sometimes it is just a bit to tempting to do something stupid...and I like to prevent it as much as possible.
    But I also see the point of not tying them up in a float :)

19. kiraSpark

kiraSpark Gold Member

I dont tie up inside a standard float either.

In the angle load I do, and solid tie, but thats more to stop niggling each other than anything else, as it has no dividers.

20. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

i tie in the float i thought it was the done thing. ive only known a few people who dont tie in the float because there horse always unbalanced and scrambled.

with our horses now as its a front unloader we dont have the stallion guard (i believe thats its name) in the front. the only two that i would leave untied together would be libby and missy because they wont bite each other. the others all like to bite each other