pulling back when tied up??

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by Skittle, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Skittle

Skittle New Member

My horse has just started pulling back when tied up. Not sure why he has started it but he will keep pulling until either the bale twine breaks or the lead rope. Just wondering if anyone else has had this prob and ideas on how to stop it??

2. Playin With Fire

Playin With Fire Well-known Member

My mare did this so we solid tied her to a hitch rail with a collar etc (with professional supervision) for a few hours each day for a few days.
    She is perfect now.
    Hard to do without the facilities and help though.

3. miss_skoobz

miss_skoobz Well-known Member

My lease horse does the exact same thing.. I think he knows it breaks so he just does it to be a naughty boy.. But I have no idea how to stop him doing it. Sometimes he does it and sometimes he doesn't LOL

4. MG Bridles

MG Bridles New Member

Pulling Back!

I had a mare years ago who started pulling back out of the blue. We did the whole 'baling twine so she doesn't hurt herself thing', but all that happened was she would give one tug, then be off!!

In the end, we got the farrier, (a very big man) in who tied her up with a bull headstall. This thing was made from braided rope and there was no way she was breaking it. She tried once, ended up on her haunches, tried again, realised it wasn't breaking and never pulled back again.

I think you need someone with you who is confident to let them pull and not get all prissy and have a hissy fit. A bit scary at the time, cos you think they are going to hurt themselves, but worth it in the end to do the whole 'aversion' therapy.

Goodluck.

5. oakover

oakover Well-known Member

I never quite understand why people use twine to tie up horses. Tied is tied. Teach them right from word go that pulling back doesn't help and the rope won't break. When you tie a horse up, actually tie it!

6. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Agreed! Tie 'em hard and fast and make damn sure it isn't going to break and let them go for it. Riley had a pulling back session a couple of days ago and I pretty much just got out of the way till he was done-not much else I could do in any case,the big dope!!

7. oakover

oakover Well-known Member

Yeah, I don't want to seem harsh but I've seen what happens when horses learn to pull back and it's not pretty. It can all be prevented by teaching them properly in the first place and sticking to it.
    I definitely don't want to upset anyone but that is my truthful opinion and I'm sticking to it.

8. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

Mine too lol!! Quick duck for cover*#)

9. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Yes, if horses are not properly halter broken and taught to tie up within the first few weeks of life, this problem usually arises later in life.:}

I only suggest a professional trainer with the facilities to retrain such a horse. These folk should use a rope halter (and perhaps a neck strap for support) tied real real short, to a big tree or very very solid pole, at a tie up point higher than the horses wither.:)*

Then you let the horse go for it, supervised always of course!!**)

The horse may need to be tied up for hours or days to reinforce he needs to give to pressure, not pull!!:)*

Once horses have a pull back and a win one or two times, the problem is much harder to reverse.:))

10. SMP

SMP New Member

I use to have a horse that pulled back, she broke several things....

i got advice of a good mate of mine

I got one of those rope halter and lead with no buckles on them... so nothing on it could break or give way....

tied her to the biggest and strongest tree in the paddock and let her go for gold....

She tried to pull back something wicked but it was the first time something didnt break... she pulled till she eventually pulled a mucsle... Must of really hurt because she never pulled back again...

GOTTA BE CRUEL TO BE KIND.... so they say

11. Toy

Toy Active Member

Tie solid and watch. Don't tie too high otherwise the horse can hang its self. Learn the proper tying knots that way if you need to get them off you can. Don't worry about them hurting themselves. Twine just teachs horses to pull back.

12. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

My 2 year old filly had issues with being tied solid, she soon got over it, but we will bring her up now with the other horses and groom her, then leave her tied up while we go about working the other horses, we just leave her there and ignore her.

She has done the pawing thing, the chewing thing, the calling out constantly thing, she is now doing the standing there quietly thing.

It takes time and consistency, not brute force. Tie them solid and safe and leave them to it.

I tree is a safer option than a hitching rail as very few hitching rails are built out of steal and concreted into the ground solid enough that the entire rail wont snap or pull out of the ground, and if the horse breaks or pulls out the rail you will have a SERIOUS disaster on your hands.

13. GeeJay

GeeJay Guest

The best and safest way to teach a horse like this is to have a strong rope between 2 trees with a swivel attached, the rope should be 3 mtrs high well above the head.

This way they are safe around the legs and can only pull down which prevents to much force in the pull and when they jump forward you don’t have a tree or a rail in the way so they can’t slam into it and this often does the most damage to the horse.

Prevention is far better than cure, we would often leave a pretty bad horse tied up like this all day with water and get on with normal stuff, this way the horse gets used to others leaving, things banging and general stuff that used to pee them of, that way they learn to be patient.

The best use for Twine is to hold your pants up, a good rope halter and lead rope without buckles.

We find that this method of tying they can kick up a merry dance but don’t hurt themselves.

Janet:)

14. Kyara

Kyara Well-known Member

At my riding school, we have have horses that have seriously hurt themselves by pulling back (either from being scared or just doing it for attention) and it is not pretty, some horses even have ongoing problems. I have never tied my horse without twine and I never will because I don't want anything bad to happen to him.

I knew this one guy who tied his horses to metal or wood and he was breaking in a young pony and it pulled back and it looked like his neck was going to snap in half because he was trying to get away for a scary man who was carrying a monster (saddle blanket and a saddle). I had to turn around because I couldnt watch anymore. I just felt sorry for the little pony who was really scared, you could see it in his eyes.

I prefer to tie my horse to twine attached to a rail not straight to the rail. That is my opinion.

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Kyara, thats perfectly fine while your horse ties, and has not learn that it CAN pull away and get away.

But consider this, you tie your horse with twine, it does pull away, not that bad, but then it realizes its free, it then decides to go for a little run, you try to run after it to catch it, it now thinks this is fun and takes of at a gallop, the horses is now running free, and not thinking, and out of control, anything can happen at this point, run through fences, in front of cars, over the top of other people or horses, if its wearing tack and the gear catches on posts etc you have gear wrecked and a horse injured.

I know that you may have seen somethings that you dont like, but we tie horses solid for THEIR own protection.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  16. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Using a Horseman's headcollar and typing OVER the rail, solid, with a loop crossing through the under chin part of rope is a great way. As the horse starts to raise it's head the pressure is to lower again. Not tie under the chin so that there is way more option to just pull back.

I understand that people tie to twine to save expenses of posts, headcollars, leads, etc. If a horse is not taught to tie solid then there is always an oppurtunity for a human to be killed! Weigh that up against the cost of a lead rope and see which wins.

Oliver never pulls back, he just unties his lead if I take to long with tacking up and then looks at me with that smart alec face ;)

17. Skittle

Skittle New Member

Thanks everyone. Sharaway you are right its all good until they learn to break free mine is now either breaking the bale twine or the lead rope which ever gives first he is good most of the time but the has now done it about 5 times 2 of these were when we were out and he decided to go cantering around playing with a stallion... Not Fun!!! He has not done this before and would like to stop it straight away as its a hassle to take him out to events.

18. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I have float ties that you can get from Europa, chain with rubber over it, quick release clip on the end, and a chicago on the other, they WILL not brake, get yourself one of those, the quick release clip on the end is great for if the horse does hurt itself you can free the horse with out having to cut the horse loose.

I use these with an extra length of chain (on the chicago end to wrap around poles) to tie the horses up in the wash bay etc, there not to long.

19. GoWelshCobs

GoWelshCobs Well-known Member

rubber ring

or you can try tying a rubber ring to a pole with twine. and tye them to the ring. it has some give but dosent snap straight away and teach them to get free. if they totally have a spack attack the twine will eventually break .

20. Skittle

Skittle New Member

Sounds good i will look into that. Just about to go ride will see if he behaves today.