Public Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by Marianne, Jan 25, 2009.

  1. Marianne

    Marianne Gold Member

    Ok my situation is this.

    In our household budget, we put money away every month on the off chance that something happens. So for the sake of vet bills we've got them covered.

    My concern is the public liability side of things. If we are taking our horses out in public we need it, correct me if I am wrong. Where's the best place to get it if you don't want all the vet bits attached?
  2. pso

    pso Gold Member

    Your home contents insurance should cover them, as long as they arent being used for a business? Just check the fine print :)
  3. Sassy

    Sassy Gold Member

    Are you a member of EFA? I havent read it recently, but i believe membership gives you some liability cover?

    Domestic Liability (what comes with your home/contents cover) can cover them on your property providing you are not generating an income from the property. However, off property I am not so sure.

    Best to check with your insurer, as rural insurers and general insurers have different views on what consititutes "farm business" and the requirement for extra liability.
  4. pso

    pso Gold Member

    As far as I know- efa insurance only covers liability at shows/events/lessons?
    Doesnt cover you if the meter reader lets them self onto your property, and has a couple of horses trying to chew his arm off...*cough**#)
  5. Marianne

    Marianne Gold Member

    I keep them at an agistment centre. I was thinking if I had her at the beach and something happened. What kind of insurance do I need for that?
  6. Sassy

    Sassy Gold Member

    Marianne, I will check the liability limits for you, its a bit of a grey area! The beach owner, the horse owners, the horse itself, and the person injured all would hold some liability.

    I thought that efa covered either you with any horse any where, or your horse with any person anywhere... maybe its changed, or I was wrong in the first place LOL
  7. Reigate

    Reigate Well-known Member

    Contact Petplan and see what they can do for you - they have really reasonable rates - and you can choose to have the level of cover you need with them.

    EFA covers you and your horse during competition and training for competition from what I understand - so if you are riding at home or out at an arena training for a competition - then you are covered, but if you are at the beach having a play - you are not covered.

    Australian Equine Alliance have just said they wont cover RIDERS anymore but I am not sure about their public liability for horses........

    Check them out too! :)
  8. Marianne

    Marianne Gold Member

    Thanks Sassy and CMS for all your help. Will look into that.
  9. yogi bear

    yogi bear New Member

    i was certain that if you had EFA insurance from Associate upwards you were covered 24/7?:( I darn well hope so!!
    Geez, it surprises me the EFA's insurance policy differentiate between training for a show and just out riding ~ i'd say most people would declare the accident was during "training", regardless of where it was??
    I guess this means we might need to read the small print if "pso" is correct.
    As rider's, we must get these facts sorted for our own protection....:confused:
  10. MPKG

    MPKG Active Member

    The EWA policy includes 24/7 public liability insurance wether you are just having fun or otherwise.

    It doesn't matter if you aren't "training".

    Keep in mind this does NOT cover your horse, only the damage he/she does to others (horse, car, building, person).

    Hope this helps :)
  11. myponies

    myponies Guest

    Check with YOUR actual insurer. There are exclusions to liability Insurance.

    Generally for a liability policy to respond to a claim there has to be negligence on the part of the policy holder, family member employee or other authorised person etc.

    It is not as cut and dried as it is made to sound. Please do not rely on the info you get second, third or even fourth hand. Check this out for yourself. Each insurer has different wording, conditions, exclusions etc, etc.

    I know of a case where the horse owner only had domestic cover, not farm/hobby farm cover ( horses are not classed as a domestic pet ). One of the horses got out, got hit by a truck, there was no cover for any part of the loss suffered ( horse, truck or any liability - lost wages for the truck driver). They did not have the correct policy to respond to the type of event. This was as a result of bad advice given to them by a family member when they took out the policy.

    If you are unsure or don't quite understand the wording ring your insurer and make sure they are aware of the EXACT situation ( put it in writing to them, saves arguments if something was to happen ). It is too much of a risk not to.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009
  12. Lovemyhorse

    Lovemyhorse New Member

    the EFA insurance is not all that good

    people need to read the fine print

    and ask

    how much cover is there - is it capped?

    etc etc

    a lot of NCAS instructors claim they have good insurance cover because they are NCAS - but they dont advise you - and probably dont know - that this cover is really restricted and is capped

    so if you had a tragic event eg Guy Wallace ending up in a wheel chair - i think he got $50000 - whcih is nothing!!

    so ask questions

Share This Page