Problems that Ex-Racers Have???

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Caroline, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

B&T read back over the post that you got the 'horses to the doors' idea from it was mine, now you might understand why I could have taken offense at your rebuttal.... I haven't however, alls good;) I do understand what you are saying, but I also find the POV a little romantic and simplistic.

This thread was created to be antagonistic. We are tired of it.

I'm chuffed with all the humble attitudes of the owners/ trainers/ riders of OTTH's who have written in. Yes all horses, humans and ferrets are today living in a world in which we have developed some fine issues, lol! -There is not a whole lot of 'natural' anything left, so lets stop using it as an excuse for argument shall we?

And lets stop blaming the issues of training on a specific industry, a good trainer is a humble trainer, who daily learns as much from the horse as the horse does from him/ her. Who listens, learns and is not ignorant enough to say 'that' caused my problem! A good trainer, recognizes a new challenge and works with and around it until a solution is found in the best interest of the horse, trainer and objective..... that is training.

To blame is not to know better:))

2. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

Jez, a racehorse is programmed to be a racehorse and nothing else. Thats all they are trained to know and comply with. That is why so many of them still have problems for life after racing!

They never forget that programming and carry those issues for life unless they get the right help or a bullet.

3. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Caroline, what about.... this is a problem with you.... not racing, not the horses... do you not understand...let this go, or spend a lifetime pretending to play horses.

You are doing yourself no favors#( no respect here.:}

I repeat, to blame is to not know better.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  4. pollyanna

pollyanna Guest

OMG...have been watching this thread go to hell in a handbasket for a while#(

Lucky nobody told all the HOTY winners, brilliant eventers, dressage horses, pony club horses, hunters, stock horses etc. that they all have issues*#)

5. Shiobhan

Shiobhan Well-known Member

At the moment I think its bearable, and it is shedding light on issues and problems that are faced within and surrounding the racing industry. I am being very academic when replying to try help keep the topic under control thats for and on track.

There are issues be it man made, breeding, training what ever. We are here to discuss them.

The other issue I have found which I did not mention before was windsucking.

NOTE I have never had a wind sucker in my teams. I make sure I do not buy someone else's problem and yes I see it as a major problem but it can be managed. I prevent them from the starting. Start by no ulcers, Reducing stress levels sticking to the same routine and don't blow their guts out with to much high protein feed and are closely monitored by my vets for these. We get chastised about how much hay we give our horses but it obviously works there no upset tummy in the stable or any incline to windsuck to relieve the pain associated with windsucking. No boredom my horses have plenty of toys and plenty of roughage to keep them content.

Yes if other trainers were to follow suit it would be a much happier place but it just like the pantine ads. It wont happen over night but I will happen. Eventually the so called bad trainer will realize they get better performance out of horses if well adjusted. Happy horse - runs happy - keeps owner happy- everybody happy.

Its getting late and before I blow a head gasket people who know me I'm trying my very hardest to explain the real topic on hand by OP and trying to avoid a bitch fest.

6. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

....and doing a great job Shiobhan**)

7. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Shiobhan - bless you **) If only all my OTTB's had come from trainers just like you. You ought to be very proud, you have lucky horses **) **) .

ETA - The only ones I had problems with were also freebies - with the words in one case, "for God's sake, don't bring the b*****d back" !! :D *#) ;) Hmmmmm maybe a sign?! Lol! He did turn out ok - after three years hard work. And a sore bum :p . But the ones that were easy peasy pleasures came from good yards who fostered principles similar to those you just mentioned.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  8. Tain

Tain Well-known Member

Phheew Shio, good on you, you are way more tolerant than me and you are very right**)

-see, lol! -even got the smilie smilies back out...:D :p

props to you**) :))

9. Jez

Jez Gold Member

Caroline, your wrong.....Im with Tain on this one, now were just feeding your desire for an argument and im not beating my head against a wall for you....

Youve had the offers and youve read the offers.....while im sitting down watching the horse programmed to be a racehorse and nothing else and needing a bullet showjumping for Skito...please feel free to come down YOURSELF and watch..

Or better still.......ring up the riders of the following horses on the national elite or A squads - All luck of Shanes and Blazing Cheif and tell them to get off immediately and shoot their horses because they are OTTBs. Gillian Rolston, obviously too, is an idiot, her husbands horse Windjammer was an OTTB. And Freddy, her horse who went on to become Peppermint Grove and ended up winning olympic gold..well..picked up and rideable under saddle as a 4yo? wonder if he raced?

10. Hot 2 Trot

Hot 2 Trot New Member

The racing industry has alot to answer for.
    Go to your local abbatoir where they get most of their doggy food from?
    Lucky for my pooch the racing industry supplies him with an all he can eat buffet.

Lets start at the beginning shall we. Breeders, handle your damn foals! Set them up for success and stop expecting the trainer to sort it out at break-in time!

While you're all pretending to be polite here I don't mind saying that if you choose to be ignorant you are part of the problem. Saying ohhhh my horsey is just fine is turning a blind eye. Heck I've even seen a jockey 'hold a horse in a nice frame' prooving any idiot can do it.

Anyone who has been within cooee of a racetrack can see for themselves the jerks on the end of the leadrope. Now I know stappers arn't rocket scientists but I am pretty sure that slamming a horse in the mouth isn't going to settle him down! I could list everything but I think you all are well aware of what goes on.

Now as for 'the saddle club' if this thread is boriiiiing you, why so defensive? Interesting!

If everything is so great in the racing industry why not ignore the thread.
    Bravo to those who dare to be honest.

Cheers H2T.

11. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

Ahhhhhhh now why do we have users posting under a double username.
    Ip's dont lie,naughty naughty!
    Will refer this to admin.

12. Jumping Bean

Jumping Bean Well-known Member

Hehehehehehe :p :D . Funny!

H2T, or whoever you really are ;) I was being honest, as I am sure everyone else was too, just not rude!!!!

13. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Hahaha oh that is shame!

:D

Shio & Jez, i enjoy your stories, thanks. :)

14. Hot 2 Trot

Hot 2 Trot New Member

Sorry Mods, but H2T is my partner. It aint me.

15. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Um, if H2T is your partner, how come thats your name? :confused:

16. Jez

Jez Gold Member

LMAO Touche Remaani - HONESTLY!

Hmm think i might give my horse a start at northam verrrrry shortly ;)

17. Caroline

Sorry mods, but H2T was still logged in!!! H2T is my partner. Was not my post.

18. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Very confusing Caroline, it pays to make sure your partner is logged out as soon as he's finished posting. ;)

Anyway, off the Tb's i've had off the track, i cant say any had any serious issues. **)

19. Mod 3

Mod 3 Moderator

It is wise if you are coming from the same IP addy to inform mods or admin of this so we do know there are people who use the same computer under different log ins otherwise it looks very very suspect,especially posting in the same thread.A quick pm to mods can avoid a lot of confusion.

Unless anyone has any relevant helpful info to add to this thread I will be closing it before midnight.
    Cinderella really needs some beauty sleep and I dont know if I trust you all not to start ww3 before morning:eek: !

20. Caroline

Thanks mod 3. Please close this thread as I dont think some folk have much more to ad constructively.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.