Problem horses

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by valdez, Aug 30, 2002.

1. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

I was just wondering what everyone here percieves as a true problem horse. I dont like a horse that rears, but dont mind a horse that bucks providing its not nasty. I dont really think that there are problem horses just problem handlers and trainers. They are flight animals by nature and i think most so called problems come from people not knowing what they are doing, then selling the horse on to someone else with an already established problem. I bought Hero knowing that he was an unhandled 5 year old and was doing naughty things because he was scared. He now trusts me and i can do anything with him. I never percieved him as a problem horse. Any insight????

Hannah

2. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

You are so right Hanna.
    Most of the trouble with a horse is that the original handler didn't know what they were doing , and taught the animal to fear. This then will lead to the horse doing the natural things that it knows as a defenced mechanism.
    I do not like the term "breaking in " , as I have seen so many lovely animals ruined by some idiot literaly breaking a horse and ruining them. I prefer the term educating them to accept and trust you , long before they are actually ridden.
    I often have a laugh at the so called horsemen at the races , when they try and drag a horse into the barrier by the bridal. A horses natural reaction to being pulled by the head is to pull back , as they would if they were escaping from a preditor which had it by the muzzle or on the head. This will also teach them to rear as well.
    I also detest seeing someone trying to load a horse by pulling on its head and using a whip at the same time. All this serves to do is make a horse frightened of the float , as it associates the float with pain.
    The old saying that " you will get more flies with honey that you will with vinegar " is a good one to remember when working with horses.

Jo

3. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

A problem horse to me is a horse you can't handle yourself. If it means you have to have 1 or more person with you to handle a jumpy horse its a problem. I can't go out on rides now without someone with me. I can't get on without someone with me. And I had to get someone to hold him in line because he was rearing and bucking and stuff while we were washing him. I find this a problem horse because I cannot handle him. (Yet) Thats what I think. I agree I hate rearing. I hear people say. "I'd much rather a rearer then a bucker." That majority of people have experience bucking but not rearing. I try telling them the many stories I know of horses going over the top and crushing people. Years ago a horse caused a girl to get rushed to hospital with almost every bone broken and I'm pretty sure there have been some deaths. You can prevent a buck. Or even stop it I tell them. But a rear its pretty hard. I girl used to be like that. Then one day she came up to me and said that her horse reared on her that day before. And all of a sudden she was in tears. My last horse was a rearer. Mainly when you were off of her. She was a problem horse too...

~§Arnie§~

4. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

I know there are many horsemen/horsewomen who think they can cure a problem horse through natural horsemanship. Well, I beg to differ. I once took on a 13 year old gelding to retrain. Now this horse would literally get down like a dog to try and crawl under the bottom rail of the round yard as soon as he realised he was about to be ridden/handled. You could be riding along nice and gently with other riders and then all of a sudden this horse would leap(fly jump) 3 feet into the air trying to get you off (not good for the back!). Or, he might just out of the blue decide to bolt taking you through fences, traffic or whatever was in front of him. It was later brought to my attention by an old horse breaker that this horse had a nick cut out of his ear. Apparently(so the story goes), some stockmen would cut a nick in a horses ear to remind them not to use this horse in the next muster. Now he was a problem horse!

Regards...Murray S

5. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Murray , I know what you mean , and I am one of those who have retrained many a horse for people. However, there are horses who are just mental cases , and there is nothing you can do about them.
    In my last post though , I was refering to handling and breaking in the young horses is often where a problem begins.

Jo

6. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

To me a problem horse is one that can't be handled safely by one person and one that is a danger to people and to itself. I have a friend who owns a windsucker and she classes this as a problem but the horse is an honest ride,easy to handle very eager to please and nice natured so to me I would overlook the windsucking.But I agree that 99 percent of 'horse problems' are brought about by humans.

Ali

7. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Hi Jo,

I totally agree with you. I was only making a generalisation regarding natural horsemanship in my post and in no way was it meant to be a reflection on your comments. Having read most of your posts throughout the forums you have gained my total respect. You would be one of the last people I would challenge on the basis of equestrian experience and knowledge.

Regards...Murray S

8. BJ

BJ New Member

A problem horse to me is a horse that doesnt no who to trust or wat to think. A horse that uses its natural instinct to get out of any/ every bad situation it is put in, a horse that doesnt know who its owner is or when they do they dont know what the person clearly wants from them. If we can make our communications clear to a horse and work with them to get through it and they know where there with them as there herd we should find they will no longer be a problem horse. a horse gets nervious when they dont have a confit zone be that confit zone and you will have a horse if there is no confit zone there is no horse. There herd animals there confit zone is there herd ,when they are out of there herd they are lost and unsafe. find your horses confit zone and will have a horse/ bestfreind for life.

joanne

9. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

my sisters pony has just started bucking in the last month. she is starting to work more at elementry - medium, and the pony is getting very collected.... but she is not pushing him out as much as she should after a shoulder in/traver, so he is getting to much activation in the hind legs. looks great, especially at canter you can really see the bounce. then POW!!!!! four legs jump about 3' in the air, then shoots out with the back legs. Ive seen this in the classical dressage books, and I think it is called a capriolle. the pony is part lipizzana. my sister says its very ballanced and she doesnt move or loose her ballance, just scares the pooh out of her as it takes her by suprise. after he has let off that bit of steam he'll go back to were he was as if nothing has happened, apart from his ears are forward and his eyes are big like a possum. i cant help but to laugh as it looks so funny. id love to no how they teach in the high school, so then id no what not to do in training

-bec-

10. valdez

valdez Well-known Member

Beccy, There is a set of videos called " riding and training the baroque horse breeds" These videos go from basic in hand training through to Haute E'cole movements. the second and third in the set would probably give you more of an understanding of what is going on. They are very informative and easy to understand. the parts on piaff are particularly good, Plus some of the most beautiful horses in the world doing their stuff!!!!!

Hannah