problem floating

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by bianca, Sep 20, 2002.

1. bianca

bianca New Member

my pony has a floating problem every method we try he finds another trick to get out of it we are now doing lots of ground work and lunging hopefully he will surcome we have taken him to dinese scudds school however he went on perfectly a couple of times and then he figured out a new trick
    can anyone help bianca

2. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Bianca, I know exactley how you feel as it's my mare that is discussed in the "difficult to load" posts.I too sent my off and got BOTH of us 'trained'. It really helped and she came home heaps better but even now she will occasionaly try it on. Her favourite trick was to load perfectly then as the back chain was about be done done up she would back out of the float!It was quite quickly rectified but some times she'll still stand at the ramp and just baulk for a minute.All I can suggest is heaps of time spent doing it again and again and again till the horse becomes that bored by it that they give up trying to get away with anything. You don't actually mention what it is that your horse is doing, is it playing up at loading or is it when it's travelling?I hope you have some luck with it .

Ali

3. Em

Em Well-known Member

One thing for sure is that when you go to load your pony, go out with the intention of it taking all day, if you ever try and rush these things you might as well not bother. Try and make every where else around the float really uncomfortable (perhaps by tapping with a stick) and the float really comfortable. THE VERY MOMENT he makes an effort or a try for the float REWARD INSTANTLY. A big issue with float training is the human getting the timing right and acknowledging the horse trying. Horses don't mean to be bad, we as humans just don't fully understand them. You must acknowledge the horse doing what you asked or else he won't learn that what you want is a good thing.

Good Luck

Em

4. bianca

bianca New Member

his tricks going in the then running straight out, going under the bumb bar, (we solved thar by getting a bigger door like bum bar) turning and running off (to strong to hold even our friend who handles huge friesians couldn't believe it) we had to put a chain on the noseband to hold him. He is 12.3h.

We have been doing lots of ground work recently and it's been working because we took him to pony club and it only took us 15miunites to get him on (thats very good for him).
    I just hope that he dosent figure out another one of his tricks.

He is not scared of the float at all he is just bold (nothing phases him)

5. Nikiwink

Nikiwink Well-known Member

Ground work helped my horses alot, as long as i did it regularly.

If you want help i recommend Ron Flemmingh - He's was the equine tafe head instructor but at last check was the head of all the bently tafe animal department.

He's very gently and very good. he'll also work with you to make sure you can do it and not have to call him out again. He's relatively cheap and will come to you. He can be contacted thru the Armadale horse tafe.

He worked on a friends gelding (who could be a !@#$ when he had had enough). This horse couldn't tie up etc and had a real phobia of floats (though he would go on when he wanted)

Good luk

6. Platinum

Platinum New Member

Another really good person for float training is Geoff Sandell. He uses soft, calm techniques and will also train you so if your horse is to try and be naughty again, you can fix it straight away. He will come out to you and is very affordable..... You can find his number in the Equestrian section of the Saturday West Austarlian.

7. Goose

Goose New Member

Assume that means you've had Geoff help you too Platinum? He did some float training on my mare. Top bloke.

8. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

I too had my mare trained by Geoff. he really knows how a horse thinks and so handles them accordingly. As it's apprarant that my mare hadn't had much handling since an early age then the handling she'd received had been quite abusive, Geoff had to gain her trust before he could begin with any training.He did wonders with my mare both with the float training and also a major head shy problem that she had too!

Ali

9. Platinum

Platinum New Member

Hi Goose, Geoff hasnt actually helped me but I have seen him work on lots of horses. I am friends with Sophie, the girl that works with him. It is amazing to see tha tno matter the problem he will always have a solution!!!

XX

10. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

A good piece of training for a head shy horse is to hang a blind of the strips of plastic that is used for flys , in the front of the door of you stable.
    Place the feed on the outside of the door , so that your horse has to put its head through the blind to eat.
    It may help to remove some of the strips of plastic, so that the horse can see out the door , and can also see its feeder .
    The horse has to then put its head through the strips to eat , and will then become accustomed to something touching it around the head.
    I have used this method myself , to cure a horse that was touchy around the head , at it worked a treat.

Jo

11. beccy

beccy Well-known Member

how did you find denese scudds?

When i first started pony club she was teaching one of the higher groups (had about 12 riders in that class) how to do shoulder in and travers, and I couldnt believe how controled she had the whole class, even on the raggity older horses. it was great to watch. i have never since then seen a pony club instructor teach riders at pony club how to do this.

-bec-

12. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Jo. thanks for the suggestion about the head shy thing. I might try that.I'd read in a magazine where someone suggested that as a way to 'de-sensitise' the horse to things touching it around it's head but I didn't know anyone who had tried it. She is really heaps better now though as long as any movements aren't done too fast.I wish they could talk and tell us what had happend to make them so scared,but then again somethings that people do to them I'd rarther not know about!!!

Ali

13. Goldpally

Goldpally Active Member

My horse is fairly easy to load even though he does not go out much . He prefers the " straight on no time to think about changing your mind " approach but unfortunately he also prefers this way when unloading as well and come down the ramp quickly when the chain is released . It is not a huge problem but does anyone have any suggestions that may help slow him down a bit ?

14. Ali

Ali Well-known Member

Yep my Standardbred gelding is like that. As he is mainly kept as a pet now due to injury he only gets floated once in a while. He walks straight on as soon as he is asked and stands whilst I do everything but then when we get back as soon as the chain is undone he comes off like a bullet.The only thing that I have found to slow him down is to have someone at his head with a hand on his neck talking to him and distracting him with carrots.He goes slower then but I don't think it'll cure him! I think it's just abit of a phobia about going backwards with him.

Ali

15. widgelli

widgelli Well-known Member

Try using the prickly end of a straw broom held at his rump . Give him a poke with it before you undo the chain etc, then hold it near his rump when he is coming down. If he is rushing poke him with it until he slow down.

Jo

16. annie

annie Active Member

My mare likes to rush of as well and it can be a bit scarey
    We have found if someone stands at the back and puts their hand on her on her rump and we talk to her telling her to stand up, and then the person it the float asks her to back up while still having the person at the back with their hand on her rump she is improving but it will still take practice until she is confident to back out slowly on her own.

annie

17. icebabie296

icebabie296 New Member

John Lyons says that horses who won't load don't lead well. His theory is that if you walk onto a float your horse should follow. So if your horse won't load go back and teach it to lead. Practise leading him over jumps, through ditches, even make a box that is strong enough for him to stand on and lead him over that. Then lead him onto the float, and once his there reward him and let him straight off. Then lead him back on a again, reward him, let him off. Then make him stand there for 5 minutes with some hay to munch on, make the float an enjoyable place to be.
    When we train horses to got onto floats we park them in a the gate of a small yard take out the centre divider and feed the horse on the float, the horses walks on and off the float by themselves and realises it doesn't hurt them. Don't give them an alternative, get on the float or don't eat. After doing that for a week we try to walk them on, and keep doing that until thay just walk straight on. This works well when you have horses that haven't been handled. You feed them on the float for a week or more then when you want them to get on to go some where just put the feed in the float and they walk straight on.

When horses rush down floats try unloading them into water or somewhere they might tack a bit of a tumble coming off (but not so they hurt themselves) do that once or twice and they will learn to take it slowly. It might sound cruel but it works.

18. bianca

bianca New Member

Thanks everyone hes going on fine now