Private Insurance?

Discussion in 'Horse and Rider Insurance' started by ees, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ees

ees Active Member

Can someone please tell me if I get a private insurance policy that covers me in any showpen in Australia, will I still need to pay the widely varying day insurance at the respective breed events? I've been charged anything from $2.00 per day up to $26.00 per day depending on where the show is on. If I carry my own will I then still have a need to pay these? Thank you.

Peter Waller B.App.Sc. (Hons)
    Equine Education Services

2. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

My understanding is that if you are not a member of the club that is running the show, or of the society that they are affiliated with, then you must pay the day cover even if you have your own insurance. Don't know why. It seems strange to me that EFA insurance covers you 24/7 for horse activities *except* when you are competing at a show not run by an affiliated club!!

3. ees

ees Active Member

Yeah - thanks for that. I thought as much, so will just not bother to pay insurance apart from on the day...

4. squidhillqh

squidhillqh Guest

Yep that right Ees. I have private public liability and professional indemnity with my equine buisness and I still have to sign and pay insurence at agi shows and such.
    I dont have to pay at QH events as I am a member of the AQHA.
    Silly isnt it. But with your own you are covered anywhere. As a nutritionist you should look into it as you are then covered if you give advice and something happens to the horse.

Cheers,

5. ees

ees Active Member

Yep Squidhill, I've got Prof. indemnity etc. as well - pain in the butt really, just a money grab for all concerned - never had to use it for 30+ years, but had to keep paying it. Yep, am a member of PHAA and AQHA too, but still have to pay the bloody thing when showing!! Thing is though, it doesn't cost anything to show a horse, (yeah right) what with feed, travel and fuel expenses, running costs, entry fees, at least 2 bottles of rum or bourbon per show (to get my mind off the insurance thing) etc. etc. so I suppose another $6-$16 on top is cheap really seeing I pay in the vicinity of $4000.00 for public liability and professional indemnity, not to mention $3500 property insurance + vehicle insurance s and gooseneck etc. Seems like I work just to pay Westfarmers. Gets like that huh?

6. squidhillqh

squidhillqh Guest

Your getting ripped off with WF.
    I have all the same insurence you do with a 5 mill indemnity and I only pay less than $1000 total.
    Im with CGU. Much better than WF. I got quotes for them and just laughed at them.
    If you have it as a buisness or country classic they call it you can be covered for all of the above anywhere in AUS, as long as it is buisiness related, which if your smart, can be anything you do with your horses. LOL

Cheers,

7. ees

ees Active Member

Thanks for that. Food for thought. I'll give them a lookup on Monday.