Preventing Impaction Colic?

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by PinkPony, Aug 5, 2014.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony New Member

Hello.
    I was talking to a friend of mine who had a horse go down with colic recently, and she was told it was caused by impaction. Having never had a horse with this type of colic before, I thought I would ask what are some supplements/herbs that you could add to the diet to help prevent impaction colic to both a horse that has not had it before, and a horse that has? My friend isn't a member of Stockyard.net, and I'm sure she would greatly appreciate any information or advice.

Thankyou,
    PinkPony

2. GoGo

GoGo Well-known Member

in the colder weather we add a handful of salt to our horses feed to encourage them to drink more. We also try to monitor the water intake, especially over winter as summer is not such a problem. If we dont think they are drinking enough we will give them oral salts as well.

3. Warren

Warren New Member

Yes, making sure they drink enough is the key. It's very important to monitor their water intake so that you know what is normal for your horse. If the intake drops below normal you need to encourage drinking. Some horses are reluctant to drink when the water is very cold so it can help if you take the chill off. Others will happily slurp a bucket of water with some molasses in it but I just do this if they've been sweating a lot or if I notice a big drop in their intake. Of course dampening their hard feed helps.

4. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Fluid intake is the key to preventing this type of colic. As stated before, it is crucial to ensure your horse is drinking enough. If in doubt, monitor the faeces and if they seem very dry and you cannot get your horse to drink, you can get your vet to administer fluids. It isn't expensive and is much better than risking a colic and possible surgery.

5. Satins mine

Satins mine New Member

Avoid feeding dry feeds and Gilford grass as both can contribute to impaction. Also avoid over rigging or heat stress

6. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

ALWAYS take the webbing and teeny bits of twine off hay, too. I've heard too many cases of such a simple thing causing death :(

Agree with above about water :)

7. Meischa

Meischa New Member

Intake of water is important but you could help the moisture in the gut by feeding soaked hay morning and night (even if it's just dunked in water until the bubbles stop) and/or feeding wet feeds (like SpeediBeet, FibreBeet or maxi-soy).

8. Very often impaction colic is caused by a rapid drop in temperature.
    When it gets cold quick horses are reluctant to drink enough cold water to keep everything moving.
    Sandy soil, green shoots, cold weather, lack of hay on a regular basis - all that separately or in combination can cause colic.