'Pretty' or 'Handsome' for a Show Hunter

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by Melle79, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Melle79

Melle79 Well-known Member

Hi guys

I'm looking at a horse at the moment
    I'm getting him for dressage mostly but I'd like to be able to show hunter.

He has a previous injury which means he can't jump so no working hunter.
    I keep looking at photos and so many hunters are very 'hack' pretty and a lot lighter than I thought they would be.

He is very handsome but has a little bit of a roman nose which you can see in the top photo (please ignore my lumpy bits!) I think I might be able to improve the look of with a flat double bridle. He's got lovely movement, schooling and temperatment, but I'm not sure if he would be 'pretty' enough in an official hunter class? or would I just stick with unofficial?

Just after some more opinions
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

Ooooo, he's a Joshua Brook horse. Details please :D

Sorry, I'm of no use to answer your questions though. I have no idea at all about hacking LOL :p

3. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

A hunter should not be as refined as a hack, they should be noble looking not delicate.
    So definately more handsome than pretty.
    Have a look at the beautiful Tulloch Ard, Gryffindor, Yonti etc
    They are good examples of what hunters should look like.
    We often see hacks which have changed to hunters, but those mentioned above are what I like to see in a good hunter.

I really like the horse you have posted, I think the look will improve with a flat show bridle, like I think you mentioned?

4. Melle79

zaza - he is a JB, he's a 12yo 17.2hh (Although I think I make him look about 16hh)

Beanie, that's what I thought, you want the type that looks like they could go all day (if they were a bit less plump - but I think that goes for both of us) :D

5. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

Looking at the second pic I'd say go for it! He's very handsome and certainly hunter type. At the end of the day it's up to the particular judge. If you can out-work everything else you will do really well with him.

6. Melle79

Sorrel - he's gorgeous!

That's all I wanted to know really, I'd looked at the AHHA website but just looking at show photos I didn't see as many as heavy as him in Perth.

I was just tossing up whether to join the EA next year or not really and go official, I'd be happy to keep dressage at associate level but there aren't that many unofficial hunter shows so I might jump in the deep end.

What he lacks in a refined head I think he makes up for in the other aspects. So I might as well give it a go.

Thanks guys!

7. Beanie

Beanie Well-known Member

Gryffindor is a TB believe it or not!

Sorrel, cant believe you are saying your boy isnt pretty. Look at the little head on him! Its tough though with the likes of Calcutta, Issues, Paradiddle...!

You should have a look at the UK hunters, they are just huge. The hacks over there would be what most of our hunters are like here!

8. LauraandNero

LauraandNero New Member

I was thinking the same thing about LJ who def falls in the heavy weight hunter so I have registered him with the AHHA and Im registering him with the showhorse council to try my hand at it as there isnt much around for the unoffcial plus he looks rediculous against the hacks! Would love if the hunter thing really took off ... go the big boys!

9. Melle79

what breed/size is LJ? is he the one in your profile pic? he looks gorgeous
    Hunter seems to be getting more popular each year, I hope we add something to the competition next year in the heavyweight class that's all :)

Not sure on the EA thing yet though, can you have an official horse only registered with the Show horse council? I think you would only be excluded from things like EA hoty or friends of the Sec competitions?

10. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

This was LJ at Gossies Breed Show in August :) Hope u don't mind LandN?? :D

[​IMG]

11. Melle79

darn I can't see it, stupid computers

12. wattle6180

wattle6180 Gold Member

Awww bugger :(

13. justanothergirl

justanothergirl Well-known Member

Gorgeous horse L&N :)

14. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

Yes, you can just have SHC membership, in fact at most shows you dont need to be a member of either (unless you want points for RAS or either of the HOTY's)..as long as you have paid insurance on the day you can compete.

15. Purdey

Purdey Active Member

OMG LJ is a monster! love!

16. Melle79

Ok I can't see the photo but I was looking at the photos online, is he the winner of what I assume was all other registered breeds? he looks clydie? or clydie x?

If so GAWJUS!