Potassium Bromide

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by peppi, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Dusty_Ruby

Dusty_Ruby Active Member

I disagree with this.
    I had a very nervous, not confident horse at some stage. I found it very hard to work with him and started him on Vit B1 and later brewer's yeast. This calmed him down enough for me to continue with him. I stopped the brewer's yeast quite a while ago and have a nice and relaxed horse now. **)

2. goog

goog Well-known Member

Isn't Potassium Bromide supposed to be used as an anti convulsant not a calmer??

Can it not cause toxicity in horses? I would definitely do some proper research on the effects of it on your horse before giving it to him. I do however feel your pain having a very difficult OTTB, I was at a loss with what to do with him in the end i had a good hard look at myself and realised I just didn't have what it took to ride that horse, luckily for him the girl that used to ride him as a track rider loved him and was happy to take him as her trail horse.

3. GiGi

GiGi Guest

I've been in this situation, and at the end of the day, I decided that if I had to drug my horse to ride him, then something wasn't quite right. Best piece of advice was, "just because he doesn't suit you, doesn't mean he won't suit someone else". I found him a much more suitable home, and found myself a more suitable horse, and everyone's happy ;). I look forwad to riding now like you wouldn't believe.

4. peppi

peppi Active Member

Good point......excellent where can I get some...Calm in control, brave and assertive.....ha ha ha I bet theres loads of people that would buy it by the truck load...If only

5. peppi

peppi Active Member

as an update to this now old thread..........

Alot of you were right...it was pain issues that $1000.00 day at the vets didnt pick up. I found out by accident....

i took him off the bromide and just got on with it things improved in and out we had good days we had days with me in the dirt still.

Then I had an operation he was off work for 10 weeks June last year....when I bought him back into work he became hideously lame...like a 4 in 5 lame in walk. He'd had time to stiffen up and has arthritis in the right hock and right front fetlock thats why on circles on the right rein is when he shied...bless him. as I was working him about 4 times a week I was keeping him moving and he didnt show lameness...but once i stopped he seized up

Feel bad now but wot could I do...I ran all the tests and nothing....

he is now retired in the paddock and if I dont ride him he looks sound as...playing and cantering about. I still go for a hack out in and out not very often.....as I now have a new four year old to play with.

6. Salinero

Salinero Well-known Member

I am glad you finally got an answer! Even if it had to take this path. Happy you are still looking after him and that you have a new project to start. It is not easy knowing what the underlying issue is stemming from. And good on you for trying your best to find out what it was. There are many horseowners who go through very simillar things. And what works for one doesn't work for others. It is trial and error. Good luck with your new project!

7. peppi

peppi Active Member

Thankyou...:D

8. Jbear123

Jbear123 Active Member

After reading this post I would say try hacking him out more often than working him in the arena for a while as he could be "Arena Sour" which could cause his anxiety undersaddle, lightening off on the intensity of his training environment for a while may help bring him back to a happy workable frame of mind.

Then once he is settling more undersaddle out on rides then start off finishing every lesson off in the arena even if it is just a walk around doing a few circles to cool him down etc then finish in there. After he is happy with this then change again slowly back to arena work say if you ride him 4 times a week 2 in the arena and 2 out in the bush etc.

Horses are stimulated in some many different ways by feel, emotion, environment etc and little changes may make a huge difference in his behaviour undersaddle.

Training is a much better option, if you want a long term fix :)

Hahaha silly me just read your last post, It is sad that he was sore it is so common for me to hear this sadly Ed and I have had many horses come to us that have had emotional/ physical problems caused by pain and it is never nice to tell an owner that they havent see that the horse has been sore. We are working with lovely animals and they try so hard for us everyday even if it means they have to put up with pain, sadly 70% of problem horses that get sent to us have serious soundness issues that have just never been picked up.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  9. peppi

peppi Active Member

Jbear thanks for your comments ...but there is an end to this story about 3 posts up from this one...alls well that ends well....his behavior was a pain issue due to arthritis...he is happily retired to the paddock now..bless him

And Ive just done the same thing...read the whole of your post...ha ha...silly me too...!!

Oh and I didn't see the issue and neither did alot of money spent at the vets either...!! Feel bad about it now...but if the pro's couldn't come up with it, then I think I have to forgive myself for not seeing it either...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011