Potassium Bromide

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by peppi, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Have you been riding him Peppi , how's he going now ?

2. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

I agree with this. Our property fills with clover in winter, although it doesn't affect my horses there are some here who have a change in "attitude". Each horse can react quite differently.

3. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Yeah you're right.

For me, the 'worse in winter' thing is a symptom of a problem, as there are other factors involved, and this horse is doing it all the time.

4. peppi

peppi Active Member

Well there are some on here that aint gona like this. But yes he was schooled this morning and hes...umm 90% better. Wanted to look at stuff but didnt and was easy to get his attention else where. No 20 mins of sitting on a plank (and cornflower by this I mean an inattentive Ive got my head in the air looking for something to kick off about) Went almost straight into work.

No tripping, no funny coloured wee's...sorry but what a massive improvement...

5. madison

madison Well-known Member

Well done Peppi, I know heaps of people it's worked for as a short term fix after they got the dosage right for their horse**)

6. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Remember to reduce the dose - my very stallion like gelding is on 1/4 scoop per day and he behaves really well - his 13 yo rider thinks he is the best ever !!!!! Got to be better than going for dogmeat !!!!!

7. peppi

peppi Active Member

Yep each week I will drop it back a bit more until I find the lowest level that achieves what I need. And maybe in the future I can jack it in altogether once Ive used it to ride through this trauma period.

8. canter26

canter26 New Member

I used this a couple of times on my hot TB redhead until I found out it is swabbable....am I wrong?? I have to say I am surprised at the implied widespread use on horses in this thread. I hope that none are being used for competition?

9. Newman Racing

Newman Racing Active Member

Worked for my mare, last option after all other efforts. My conclusion its better than dog meat,

10. Speedmachine

Speedmachine New Member

As a Breeder of TB's for racing I am often faced with the question of what to them after racing. If a mare is well performed enough she will go to stud. For the rest I asses them carefully. These are horses I have bred and raised myself so I know them. I also used to compete extensively so I know whats needed. Some horses I rehome on the proviso that come back if they are not up to what their new owner wants. I have kept a couple that were extra good racehorses as nannys (I owe them), but there are some I know wil never make it because of temperament/soundness issues, these I put down because they are my responsability and I cannot stand to see thin horses standing miserable in paddocks with no feed.

11. peppi

peppi Active Member

Thanks yes my conclusion too......he will improve when the summer hot gets here but until then....to stay safe and on board.....its better than dog meat.

12. peppi

peppi Active Member

So what do you do with a gelding that cant be bred from that has done well but is a bit hot...? Sometimes and not others..... who is at heart a real sweety...? And can go at times compete and get ribbons for it but at other times be a ...well swear word...

Who isnt a skinny horse stood in paddock miserable but a much loved boy....? Hmmm..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  13. peppi

peppi Active Member

I bet there are...plenty...

14. Janet Winter

Janet Winter Guest

I just hope people don't use this when selling a horse its a disgrace ';'
    #(

15. Newman Racing

Newman Racing Active Member

I understand this as i share your frustration, but dont understand what your trying to say in relation to this thread? That a horse should be put down and not use potassium bromide? It is not just used on thoroughbreds.

16. peppi

peppi Active Member

Thats what I was lead to understand...If its not a mare you can use for breeding then put it down.....shocking attitude...:mad:

17. tammyprez

tammyprez Well-known Member

i feed this to my two trouble makers and they have calmed great. its supposed to effect and calm the brain. i will be cutting it back soon because they have been on it for two weeks now and i dont want them to be on it to thepoint where theyre living on it!:)

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

It is a real worry.......who can say how long it stays in every horses system or the lasting effects. Especially if someone uses it for an extended period on the horse.
    If a horse has behavioural issues it is usually only one thing.....the rider doesn't have what is required to handle the horse.....so either the horse needs further education with someone who can, or the rider gets another horse.
    I think drugging a horse so that it can be "manged" by its owner is not in the interest of horse or owner........or subsequent owners!

19. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I often wonder when you hear about things being given or prescribed to animals whether they'll get better results if prescribed to owners.....lolol

Nice calm, in-control, brave and assertive owners who digest all those vitamin calmers ect, and strong, nimble, flexible owners who digest joint formulas........:D