Potassium Bromide

Discussion in 'Problem Horses' started by peppi, Jul 17, 2010.

1. montygirl

montygirl Well-known Member

Yes Gamby... over the counter means from a shop *#) like a stockfeeder

2. paula223

paula223 Gold Member

Yes i definetly would give it a go
    My Boy now is hard just to get him to walk alittle quicker lol
    He is soooo more laid back & not as stressed out as he was **)
    No harm in trying if nothing else seems to be working and you are keeping him

3. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

Peppi what is your instructors opinion on this situation? You said that the horse behaves the same with the coach on board. Your instructor is your eyes on the ground and knows both you and your horse far better than anyone here. Does he/she feel that the horse is not safe for you to continue with?

The horse is giving you a hard time for the first 20 mins and then what? settling into some nice work or still tense and spooky? Also how long have you had the horse, is this a recent change or a long term thing that's escalating?

There's no fun in what you're going through and its a sad situation that requires a horse be sedated in order to ride it on an ongoing basis.

I'm quite sure that neither you, nor your loved ones wish to see this ending with you in hospital.

4. Gamby

Gamby Well-known Member

Ahh i thought she was meaning over the counter as in over the counter at the vet and she previously mentioned it was made by vets.

5. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I have a horse at the moment that the vet has suggested be given some bromide in it's feed.
    The idea behind it being that it can take the edge of the horse's tension and give the rider a 'window' to get some education into the horse.
    Ultimately education is the key but the bromide acts an aid to making educating the horse a little more easier.
    Bromide doesn't take away the underlying issues, it just lessens them a little and can make them a tad easier to work through.

6. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

hey, sent you PM. also, i didn't read that you already have a great instructor, sorry mate.

7. Merlin

Merlin Well-known Member

I have found Bromide makes them heavy infront and not "switched on" enough to learn and retain anything you are trying to teach them, plus they trip over alot! I can't belive vets are saying to use this stuff, there is much better stuff vets could be prescribing if that is the path people with these horses want to take.

8. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

Few things stand out in this thread for me.

1) He's worst in the first 20min when you first get on.
    2) He's worse in the winter months.
    3) Fine on the ground, bad under saddle.
    4) Ok to hack out, bad in arena, when you ask for 'work' (he cannot/will not use himself correctly).

I think he's unsound. Somewhere something isn't right. I know you said you've been to the vet, but these things just stand out above all else. Especially since you say your instructor also gets the same behaviour.
    You would assume a more experienced, and unafraid, person would show the confidance needed for a nervous (? i'm assuming as you haven't actually said what he's doing) horse to calm down and work. And yet no.

So either your instructor is also riding incorrectly (training method doesn't suit him, doesn't understand what he's being asked, too much is being asked, being jammed up infront etc, etc, etc. And i'm NOT accusing, just stating possible scenarios).
    Or the horse is constantly in pain, and it won't matter who gets on.

Is this something that's happened suddenly or quickly? Or has it gotten progressively worse over time?

9. Nicely put Cornflower , you've contradicted a few of my comments , but maybe they needed contradicting .

Because of my sporting , drafting and polocrosse background , I like to get my horses fit . I've noticed , even when easing them into the work gently , the muscles they're using , do get sore and because I often follow the same bush tracks on my training runs the soreness begins at around the same place and if I'm not careful to 1. Back off
    2. Mix the routine up a bit
    my horses associate the discomfort with the place that it starts to occur and shy at things they wouldn't normally look twice at .

10. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

Yes they are more switched off....my gelding was like this when I had him on it.

But more then that I would be more worried about the long term effects PB has on the horse, as I noticed after a while my horse would take a long time to pee. As soon as I took him of PB he was fine, go figure.

I wouldnt put any horse of mine on PB now, if it came to that, I would figure A.the horse is way too much for me.....B, there are other factors (ie horse is sore)

11. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

#(I cant beleive all these terrible storys Im reading!

Heavy in front, almost tripping over thats because its a short term fix like a sedation drug...not good....

It also breaks done the vitamin b in a horses system, stop feeding it and try other things! as a instructor I would not recommend it to any of my students....! #(

12. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Personally I find it amazing that someone feels its better to drug a horse than to sell one. Different if the horse needs some additive before a show or travel but one that needs drugging to ride by its owner on a daily basis?

This is another clear case of letting head rule heart. If horse is dangerous (broken bones for riders hitting dirt) there is 2 choices.
    1: Send horse to someone who can fix the problem with training methods for this individual.
    2: Sell horse to someone who doesn't need to drug it to ride it.

Who can say what long term damage this is doing to the horse....especially if given in incorrect dosage?

Who knows if this horse has some other neurological issue going on that PB is making worse......

Who can say what effects the horse will have once removed?

If a horse has issues so bad that it needs permanent sedation and mind altering drugs, for the safety of rider/owner, and the wellbeing of horse, some serious decisions need to be made.

13. peppi

peppi Active Member

No when he settles its all good I love him... he can work nicely. Ive had him nearly two years. the problem has reared its head the further we have got in his education. i really do think he likes to loaf about and has deicided he doesnt want to work

14. peppi

peppi Active Member

This is an interesting point to note...my instructor has mentioned something along the same lines...I did get abit carried away the better he got...schooling, schooling, schooling competition and so on...

Thanks

15. peppi

peppi Active Member

Whats he doing....massive unsitable shies that come out of nowhere and at nothing....most of the time he dissappears from under me quite litterally.

He can be spooky shy on the ground if something in the yard changes say he snorts and stuff so he is of a spooky dissposition and hes no angel out either but they are not as violent out and dont seem to have me off and he doesnt go out with me feeling as thou Im sitting on a plank they are just the odd shy.

Worse in winter ...thats a sort of normal thing isnt it. More grass about and cooler makes some horses a bit different to ride for a while til the hot weather returns. Ive know of others like this one girl couldnt do a thing with her TB in winter he behaved similar to mine just not quite so bad.

It has gotten worse over time the better and higher in his level of schooling and now Ive been out there competing and maybe getting more intense in my schooling work its got worse....thats why I figure hes just being stroppy and saying I dont want to do this like a spoilt kid...

I even tried giving him time out...that didnt help either. All pain issues have been addressed twice over....

And no he worse in the first twenty mins in the Arena only its like sitting on an unresponsive plank..Not like this hacking out hes fine. Its an arena issue.

16. chanel

chanel Well-known Member

I agree with you, are these side effects human or equine? People need to be safe and horses losing it in the ring is not safe. I have used it and found it helped, as Charlie would lose the plot and he has calmed down now, and I no longer have to use PB, if it helps to calm and behaviours change for the better why not, you don't have to use it for ever. People need to calm down.

17. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

yeah, my pony was like this. big pain in the butt. he's improved with work tho, especially now that i try to ride with correct flexion/bend, otherwise he just finds stuff to shy at.

my boy still finds spots around that send him troppo. the 10m between the common area & the round yard is horse-eating-hell as apparently the midget minis next door are cannibals. and i have to take a desensitising approach to leave the property LOL.

ah, horses.

18. shelllouise19

shelllouise19 Active Member

Sounds like it may be arthritis or some other degeneration thing, could be a good idea to get your horse checked out by a vet/chiro/physio/massage/bowen etc.

Saddle fit? Teeth done recently? Feet balanced properly? all the usual check lists...also when was the last spell? some horses get sour from lots of work and just need some time off.

Good luck, I know it can be really frustrating when it doesnt work the way we want to :)

19. Cornflower

Cornflower Well-known Member

20. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Mine are "worse" in the winter Cornflower ;). Think bog laps on cold mornings just for the hell of it. Defintitely more attitude under saddle too. Winter grass may not have much good "nutrition" in it but it has a lot of non structural carbohydrates in... that's sugar..