Potassium bromide

Discussion in 'Feeding Horses' started by Anna_Smiler, Oct 30, 2008.

1. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

*cough,splutter*....oh vermok,yes indeed welcome but holy snapping duck s**t i don't know if i'd be game to ask that question now!!! weeee.....:D

2. Horsetalk

Horsetalk Well-known Member

Same reaction here lol. :))

3. beagle

beagle Well-known Member

great reading though from people who obviously know their stuff.
    no offence vermok hopefully but boy what size are your feet???!!!
    haha all in good humour though (lookat the time! it's so late! must go to bed!)

4. Athiril

Athiril New Member

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but after much googling and finding no luck in finding Australian bromide supplies I signed up to ask this specific question -

Where (in Australia) can you buy/order sodium or potassium bromide from? I'm after 500g - 1kg.

I guess this is kind of off-topic, but I need it for photographic (film) processing.

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

Your local Stockfeeders sells it OFF the shelf. ;)

Cheers
    Lee

6. OBHH

OBHH Well-known Member

Yep most stockfeeders sell it, about $35 for 1 kg.:)

7. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

If you need it for photography, have you tried photography suppliers. You may require a special grade.

8. jodles

jodles Well-known Member

Mmmm looked at this post with hubby in mind lol *#)

9. Grandera

Grandera New Member

I have just read this thread and it is absolutely fantastic.Luckily a vet came along and made sense of it all!!

I dont get how people like RR can call someone a cheat if they can use a product effectively and stay within swapping guidelines.If your using something and not getting positives more power to you.

I think potbrom is crap by the way.I cant see how you could get any good work out of your horse,but I respect everyones own right to use it.

10. misskel

misskel Well-known Member

I just read this thread too and what a great read, entertaining and informative all at once.

I agree that if you are able to use something and not get a positive then good luck to you, I have used tryptophan on many horses and have found it to only really have an effect on two. One happens to be my new hack. So for now thats his poison if I think he needs it.

I would like to ask a question (braces for onslaught) how can giving a show horse, dressage horse or what ever something like PB to take the edge off be a bad thing??? If used in moderation of course... In my experience, hacks are very very fit animals. When you take into consideration the amount of time spent schooling them, and the high protein diet for the looks, the coat etc, they are as highly strung as some racehorses. So in turn need a lot of "working down" now I dont know about anyone else but I would much rather give a horse some PB than ride the thing for 3 hours just to get a decent workout. Standing on the end of a lunge rope for 5 hours doesnt much appeal to me either. And you can say thats hard work and if you do that and win you deserve it. No you dont deserve it, thats cruel!!! I can only imagine what the horses feel like after being "worked down" to the extreme that I have seen over the years....

Just a thought, just my opinion. Look forward to seeing other peoples POV on this...

11. Teah

Teah New Member

If the horse needs it and you think it works I'm all for it. Definitely agreed with the cruelty of standing on the end of a lunge for 5 hours.

12. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

I have used it on and off for various horses. Never used it long term. Just to get them to "settle/stop/think" when the other calming agents dont work.

I think with anything if used correctly and with moderation it should be ok. Its those that abuse it that end up with problems.

13. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

I havent ever used it, never will ever!!!

Madcow - i just love history and have read similar to what you have.

You couldnt pay me to have it in my stables, bad stuff....:(

14. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

Never used it, never will #(

15. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

Without being nasty ..... I wonder how's it that the people who use PB allways get "that type of horses" who need it ???

Ive seen some nice horses ruined with it. More and more it seems to me now that it's actually a nervous rider's drug. Performance horses are supposed to be fit. Why want them zombie like ??

16. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

and I dare say as boring as all bat sh*t for the horse too lol lol lol ;)
    :}
    yep why not use it for a gelding.';'
    As its stated- its made & marketed by a Vet and I dare say if it was really bad stuff, it would against his profession to do so.

Cheers
    Lee

ps where can I get some for the OH *#)

17. EVP

EVP Gold Member

If a horse cannot perform or race because it doesn't have the demeanor for it then it either needs further training or a career change.
    If a horse requires any form of brain altering drug to "make" it perform then the same applies.
    I think people who have to medicate their horses to get them to do "anything" are a drug cheat.......if the horse has issues that are way too big for an owner/rider/competitor then the answer is simple - its not the horse for you.

18. Fe

Fe Well-known Member

Just to clarify. I have not used mine so I can compete.. It is just used at home under vets advice. Usually for horses that have taken their time to settle in.

I agree re the training/education side of things.. Use training to fix problems not drugs.

19. Nightsky

Nightsky Guest

**)**)**)**)

20. Cassy Horse

Cassy Horse Well-known Member

The solution should be to make the horse listen to you and not concentrate on it's outside environment. At a young age I lunged my horse for hours, and I did so because I was told I had to - and she was still naughty when it came time to hop on. This is because she would switch off during the lungeing process, as her brain wasn't working. Looking back now I will never ever do that again. My TB gets excitable at shows but the only thing that will help me is to switch her brain on when it's off, much harder work than lungeing for hours or doping your horse up :)